Cricket: Industrial Action Edition

ljkeane

And England escape with a rain delay. They've got a chance to forge a good innings during the daytime tomorrow - one thinks Root will be crucial. He'll have extra motivation given his (now I admit to be disastrous) sending in Australia to bat. When the other side ends up scoring 400+ and declaring, you know that was a bad move...

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

And England escape with a rain delay.

That was fortunate timing, it was a very awkward session to try to bat through. England will have to bat very well tomorrow to save the match (and effectively the series), especially since I think Lyon might exploit the conditions better than Ali did.

Early days yet with only 4 wickets down, but if it comes to it I wouldn't enforce the follow-on if I were Australia. It's Adelaide, a good batting wicket that rarely deteriorates, so I'd go for safety first with some quickfire runs and try and bowl them out on a fifth day.

5 down. England definitely in trouble now. Follow-on territory still.

I doubt Aussies will enforce follow on if they get the choice. Assuming England manage to extract another 30-40 overs from the aussies, the bowlers will definitely need a rest. Can't afford to risk injury to the fast three. Although there is still a risk of rain. So don't think they can afford to bat for long. They will need more than a day to get them out a second time I think. Specially if the target set is unrealistic, England might just bunker down and go for a draw, which would be a good result for them still.

Ā 

Anderson bowling well, so this match could be interesting yet.

Still, they really couldn't have enforced the follow-on. Tempting as it would have been to bowl again at England under lights, they had already bowled close to 80 overs and probably wouldn't have been as effective making the bowlers back up a second time.

Great spell of bowling to bring them back into the game, but England are going to have to wrap the innings up pretty quickly. Chasing anything over 300ish will be too much, even at Adelaide, against the Australian attack and with the benefit of lights. Australia could do the same thing to England that England did to them under lights.

Well that was what Root was hoping for from his bowlers in the first innings - itā€™s just arrived a little too late. Some impressive stuff though from Anderson and Woakes, highlighting why many pundits were expecting a strong England performance at this ground.

3 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I'm not sure I want to live in a world whereĀ Donald Trump is president of the USA and James Vince has the highest score for England in an Ashes series. So very, very wrong.

Fixed that for you!

Credit to England for a great day's play. They lost one too many wickets to be favourites but they're in with a real chance. Adelaide is still comfy to bat on for a fifth day pitch so if Root can push onto a century and someone stay with him they're going to get very close.

If Australia win it will seem cruel for England to go 2-0 down (and it would stuff up what would be an otherwise interesting series) so I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if England pull this one out of the fire.

It's at times like this that having Ben Stokes coming in at 6 could have been very handy.

I think everything depends on Root tomorrow, if he can stay in for most of the run chase then the others might be able to provide enough support but I'd be sceptical they could do it without him.

Archived