Cricket: Industrial Action Edition

ljkeane

So this has draw written all over it unfortunately the WACA just doesnt have the same character it used to. Can see England getting to 450+ pretty easily on that pitch and so long as the Aussies get through the new ball with say Warner and/or Smith there they should be able to bat the game into a place where the only result is a draw.

17 hours ago, Paxter said:

Anyone think this might be the end of the line for Cook? I know he has discounted speculation so far, but when you are looking like the junior opening partner to a guy who has only just begun his test career...

His form is poor in this series, but it's been less than 4 months since he scored a Test double century (admittedly not against the most taxing opposition) so I wouldn't write him off yet.

It was an impressive innings from Malan, and Stoneman also did well even if he won't get the headlines. It is encouraging to see the newer players doing well, even if I'm still not convinced by Vince, it might not be enough to save the series but at least it provides some hope for success beyond that.

I agree with Hereward that England have to be careful they don't get bundled out cheaply tomorrow, they've still got a lot of work to do to be in a position to win this match, but at least it's been a good start.

2 hours ago, Squab said:

Glad they made 400 rather than just under, bit of a milestone.  Even though I shouldn't judge the pitch until both sides have batted, I can still only see a draw.

The forecast for Sunday is for football weather.  So yeah, a draw is most likely.

It's hard to judge when I'm not really watching too much of the cricket but a bit disappointing again from England.

It's been a bit of a weird series really, England have been poor but not really in the ways you'd expect. Stoneman and Malan have done well, which augurs well for the future, and Vince, while he hasn't been great, has probably overall done better than might have been expected. On the other hand Cook and Root haven't contributed much and when England do get themselves to 368 for 5 with a well set batsman Ali, Woakes and Overton, which should be a pretty strong lower order, don't turn up.

Probably a draw in this game, unless Australia can score 550-600 and bowl out England cheaply. But they have a long tail, so I doubt they'll be able to get such a massive score.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It's been a bit of a weird series really, England have been poor but not really in the ways you'd expect. Stoneman and Malan have done well, which augurs well for the future, and Vince, while he hasn't been great, has probably overall done better than might have been expected. On the other hand Cook and Root haven't contributed much and when England do get themselves to 368 for 5 with a well set batsman Ali, Woakes and Overton, which should be a pretty strong lower order, don't turn up.

It's definitely a contrast to the last Ashes tour which ended up with many players having their careers virtually destroyed by the end of it, whereas this time it wouldn't be too surprising if the England team for the first Test of the English summer would be fairly similar to this (although obviously they'll be hoping Stokes is available again by then).

Yeah I’d probably agree with you @williamjm, with the exception of Vince, who I don’t expect to last the series.

Smith again comfortably better than anything England can muster on a flat wicket. You’d think the draw is a pretty good bet at around $2.60.

Scores level, Australia still got six wickets in hand with Smith and Marsh well set. The nings victory might still be a possibility (the only way Australia will be able to wi this Test) if they push on to a big lead and bowl Englan out on the last day.

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

Yeah I’d probably agree with you @williamjm, with the exception of Vince, who I don’t expect to last the series.

I'd think Vince is definitely the most vulnerable although he's probably got a few more innings to turn things around - he could get replaced before then but I don't see Gary Ballance as being an improvement and there's not really any other alternatives in the squad.

The third/fourth seamer role would also be difficult to predict, with Overton and Woakes potentially competing with Mark Wood and Toby Roland-Jones.

I'd forgotten there was a series against New Zealand in between before the English summer starts, it could be a tricky assignment after a gruelling Ashes tour.

England already 2 down and the promised rain hasn't come yet. Hard to see them scraping a draw from this - it will be a shame for the series to effectively be over before Christmas.

Yeah I’ll be pretty disappointed if the Boxing Day test isn’t a live match (again). I think this test has me even more annoyed about Adelaide - that really was England’s golden opportunity in this series given the conditions. Bowling Australia out for around 100 must feel like eons ago for England now...

18 hours ago, Paxter said:

Yeah I’ll be pretty disappointed if the Boxing Day test isn’t a live match (again). I think this test has me even more annoyed about Adelaide - that really was England’s golden opportunity in this series given the conditions. Bowling Australia out for around 100 must feel like eons ago for England now...

I hope they keep that innings in mind knowing that Australia can crumble quite easily too.  Not that it looks like happening but if they do get a bit above 100 in front, they might be in with a chance... if only for the weather. Bairstow and Malan are in the right form to get them there.

ETA: Apparently the groundstaff had money on a draw as well

Archived