Cricket: Industrial Action Edition

ljkeane

8 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I think the series was done on Day 1. England’s Day 4 fightback was a consolation, not a turning point.

20-20 hindsight maybe. 

Ali just fell. Into the tail now. Hopefully its not just short stuff again

Losing Root so early was pretty decisive.

@Squab: I don’t think many people truly expected much from England after the start to this match. Bet365 for example paid out early on Australia on Day 3 (not a bad little earner for a favourite!)

The Windies battled back well today to put some pressure on New Zealand. But overall I think the hosts are still better placed in the match, particularly with the pitch offering something to the seamers. 

On the Ashes front, I'll be interested to see what kind of pitch is produced in Perth for the WACA's last Ashes test. Australia hasn't had much success at the WACA recently, but the pitch always seems to offer that little bit extra whenever The Old Enemy tours. The Aussies' last win in Perth was against England four years ago...

This ODI between India and Sri Lanka is unbelievable.

Sri Lanka opted to bowl (Rohit Sharma says he would have batted anyway) - and the current score is 5/16 after 13 overs.

India can't hit a ball off the wicket square and five down already. They bat deep but I haven't seen an ODI score like this since the 90s...

India have staged a "recovery" to get to 8/80 off 28 overs. they might get to three figures if Dhoni can hit a few...

Re: the latest England thing, I do feel a bit sorry for them. Someone pouring a drink over someone else from the same team is really a nothing story, and anywhere else it would be a complete non-event. But given the circumstances of this tour, anything is likely to be blown up into a massive thing.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:50 PM, Paxter said:

On the Ashes front, I'll be interested to see what kind of pitch is produced in Perth for the WACA's last Ashes test. Australia hasn't had much success at the WACA recently, but the pitch always seems to offer that little bit extra whenever The Old Enemy tours. The Aussies' last win in Perth was against England four years ago...

The WACA has definitely lost the pace and bounce it once had. Recent shield matches suggest it'll be flat. Since England's loss there in 2013, 2014 there was no test at WACA, 2015 Aus and NZ played a draw where Australia declared twice, and SA won against an underprepared Australia that scored 361 chasing 539 in the last innings.

Given its the last test there, I hope they can serve up something interesting for the bowlers. If England can snag a win, the boxing day test will be great to watch. Unfortunately, I think it will be a draw and the bowlers will be exhausted by the end.

Jonny and Moeen swapping batting spots in Perth. I really hope that Ali scores some runs in this series: (a) because it might help his bowling and overall confidence; and (b) he is great to watch. Lyon seems to have his number though.

Meanwhile Handscomb is likely to be dropped in favour of the bowler-injury-saving Mitchell Marsh. If this happens, it would mean that the entire group of players brought in to rejuvenate Australia after the disastrous Hobart test match have now been discarded (first Maddinson, then Bird, then Wade, Renshaw and Handscomb).

Local weather.

The combatants will likely have only 3 days to get a result.  Sunday and Monday are forecast to be positively English.

ETA: Smith said on the radio this morning that the curators have produced a greentop.  If that's correct, Mitch Marsh will play for sure.

Anyone think this might be the end of the line for Cook? I know he has discounted speculation so far, but when you are looking like the junior opening partner to a guy who has only just begun his test career...

On M Marsh, I think he was always going to play this test to take a load off the three quicks mid series. Tough on Handscomb though as the next Shield game is in February.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Anyone think this might be the end of the line for Cook? I know he has discounted speculation so far, but when you are looking like the junior opening partner to a guy who has only just begun his test career...

On M Marsh, I think he was always going to play this test to take a load off the three quicks mid series. Tough on Handscomb though as the next Shield game is in February.

Marsh hasn't had a bowl yet, though.  Smith has gone to Lyon first.

Archived