Azor Ahai and the Blood Betrayal

Bowen Marsh

20 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Not again!  Yawn -- been there, done that, the first time around... Now that 'winter is coming,' however, it's time for a new narrative, a subversion, or even better, an inversion -- yay.  Given the insight in retrospect into where the dynasty led, do you honestly think anything good can come of Danaegon the Conqueror 2.0?  

Sigh, another Dany-besotted fan -- I can spot you a mile away!  (do you really want to get this thread closed down..?...no other way, huh..? ...another plaintive sigh and wry shrug of shoulders!... OK, fine, let's get on with it, then...)

That's not the expression, as I recall; the correct expression is 'By what right does the wolf judge the lion?'  The dragon, however, leaves much to be accounted for in terms of arrogance and unfinished business.  Once Bran skinchanges one of the wighted dragons, you'll see what it means for a dragon to come to heel at the foot of a wolf!  It's a pleasing literary symmetry, don't you think?  First, Aerys made the Starks feel the heat by roasting their de facto King of Winter Rickard and heir Brandon Stark, in exchange for the peace which Torrhen had granted the Targaryens; and now, Brandon Stark born again, the heir to the weirwood throne (and the namesake to boot of the bastard Brandon Snow who originally wanted to assassinate the dragons with his three weirwood arrows, but was however dissuaded from doing so by the 'king-who-knelt' in the name of peace) will make the dragons feel the ice!  (I fancy that turn of phrase of mine, don't you -- 'make the dragons feel the ice' has such a refreshingly crisp, tinkling ring to it, like the sound of 'cracking ice on a winter lake' (AGOT -- Prologue), even though I say so myself?!)  Once the dragon kneels compliantly to the weirwood, there'll be peace -- until the next wave comes around.  ;)  (oh, did I mention, both Bran the Last Greenseer and Dany the Last Dragon will die by the end -- sorry to upset you with the latter revelation -- because only death can pay for life, and self-sacrifice -- not murder, not more 'roasting' as you would have it-- for peace).

Signed:

RR, Poetess of the Nennymoans, the Devil's Secretary Muse, the Snark in the Ointment, the Beauty of the Snowrise, and Renowned-Dany-Hater-it-is-Known!  :devil:

Hey ravenous reader!  Wake up!  You're dreaming!  That's not how the story goes. 

Dany is Azor Ahai and she will become the first person to rule over Essos and Westeros.  

You are right about one thing.  I am on Team Daenerys.

1 hour ago, Allardyce said:

Hey ravenous reader!  Wake up! 

You are a brave soul disturbing a slumbering direwolf...

You're dreaming! 

I like dreaming!  When I'm dreaming, I skinchange dragons and become the winged wolf...

(I'm having a bit of playful fun with you.  I'm glad to discern the stirrings of a sense of humor in you, like dragons stirring beneath the sunrise, a rare event on the forum  :)).

That's not how the story goes. 

Very possibly.

Dany is Azor Ahai and she will become the first person to rule over Essos and Westeros.  

From what I can gather from all my reading, GRRM does not endorse strict dichotomies of 'team ice' vs. 'team fire' -- he's more into a kind of interwoven 'yin-yang' aesthetic, so ice interwoven with fire, 'burning ice', 'frozen fire,' etc.  Also, your preferred happy, storybook ending is not particularly 'bittersweet', which GRRM has promised.

A note on the archetype of 'Azor Ahai' who is the 'Lightbringer,' and as we've been reminded by 'LmL', 'Lucifer means Lightbringer' and designates the 'morning star' or planet Venus:   As Robert Baratheon emphasizes in word and deed, there's a huge difference between winning a kingdom and actually governing it.  Analogously, there's a difference between bringing light, and dwelling in light itself.  In other words, the one who heralds the Dawn, or the lightbringing dawn star, Venus, is not the same as the Sun, the ruler of the day.  In order to usher in the day, or pave the way for the Sun, the dawn star must give way, fade from view -- and fallDawn breaks.  Together, Dany and Bran are the broken Dawn.  Neither of them will survive the coming of the day, despite the paradox that they have brought it. 

(But I could be wrong...prophecy will bite your **** off every time and all that... I'll check in with the weirnet and let you know if I get any further glimpses of the future; now let me get back to my dreaming...)

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V

He was not a man to be refused. Sam hesitated a moment, then told his tale again as Marywn, Alleras, and the other novice listened. "Maester Aemon believed that Daenerys Targaryen was the fulfillment of a prophecy . . . her, not Stannis, nor Prince Rhaegar, nor the princeling whose head was dashed against the wall."

"Born amidst salt and smoke, beneath a bleeding star. I know the prophecy." Marwyn turned his head and spat a gob of red phlegm onto the floor. "Not that I would trust it. Gorghan of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is . . . and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time." He chewed a bit. "Still . . ."

19 hours ago, Wm Portnoy said:

Here is how the story will end.

Daenerys Targaryen-Empress of Planetos and Missandei of Naath watch Drogon the Black Dread deposit a steaming pile of dragon dung on the stone steps outside the Dragon Pit.  Missandei moves closer and pokes the aromatic material with a long stick.

Missandei:  So this is what's left of your nephew, Jon Snow. 

Empress Daenerys:  Yes it is.  Jon has been reprocessed into something more useful. 

Missandei:  His Watch is Ended.

Empress Daenerys:  Please see that you spread Jon evenly around the blue roses.

THE END

I so love this ending.

1 hour ago, ravenous reader said:

GRRM does not endorse strict dichotomies of 'team ice' vs. 'team fire' -- he's more into a kind of interwoven 'yin-yang' aesthetic, so ice interwoven with fire, 'burning ice', 'frozen fire,' etc.

Exactly. The point is about balance not about extremities. That is why Dany isn't AAR or even the leader, she is an extremity.

2 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

A note on the archetype of 'Azor Ahai' who is the 'Lightbringer,' and as we've been reminded by 'LmL', 'Lucifer means Lightbringer' and designates the 'morning star' or planet Venus:   As Robert Baratheon emphasizes in word and deed, there's a huge difference between winning a kingdom and actually governing it.  Analogously, there's a difference between bringing light, and dwelling in light itself.  In other words, the one who heralds the Dawn, or the lightbringing dawn star, Venus, is not the same as the Sun, the ruler of the day.  In order to usher in the day, or pave the way for the Sun, the dawn star must give way, fade from view -- and fallDawn breaks.  Together, Dany and Bran are the broken Dawn.  Neither of them will survive the coming of the day, despite the paradox that they have brought it. 

That is awesome!

6 hours ago, Allardyce said:

Hey ravenous reader!  Wake up!  You're dreaming!  That's not how the story goes. 

He's not just dreaming.  He's tripping.  :)  jk,

Archived