Arya's final kill (very wild theory)

Sanrast

I have a theory that Arya's kill, the one she is being trained a whole show for, might be too big. A lot of people say Cersei but I don't agree very much. Cersei may be defeated before Arya try to do anything. Yes, she has killed Fray.. but I don't think we see her training so many seasons just for that.

A very good assasin is trained and used to kill way powerful enemies. Enemies that command armies and seem unbeatable. That's why assassins are used. 

The person who seem unbeatable and commands the largest army, a person who can't be defeated in a battle and can only be killed by an assassin is

Spoiler

Daenerys

I know it's too wild theory, and there is no obvious reason. But if

Spoiler

Sansa becomes a Queen and Daenarys becomes a Queen also and there may be rival between them. 

That would be one hell of a twist. There's supposed to be one more "holy shit" moment at the very end of the series, and since the first two involved characters dying in some sort of magical situation, I think the third moment will involve the death of an important character, likely at the hands of another important character. I had suspected Jon might be the one to kill Daenerys, but Arya would probably be more shocking. 

Jamie is going to kill Cersei. I don't think that Arya will kill Dany because what is her motive? She doesn't enjoy killing people that she doesn't think deserve it, as seen with her inability to kill Lady Crane. So what motive is there to kill Dany? She's coming to overthrow the Lannister's, who Arya hates, and is kind and will have the support of her favorite brother, Jon. 

For some reason I've had this same idea. It just seems to me GRRM has sticked quite a lot to the early drafts of the story. He has added and changed a lot but certain connections have remained. In the early story Jon and Arya were in love but refused to do anything about it since Jon was her brother. After Jon's parents were revealed they were capable of pursuing love.

Arya is not Jon's love interest anymore but Dany will be. Arya on the other hand thinks about Jon a lot and the two share a special bond. Then there's the whole Nissa Nissa -thing and so much importance given to Needle, the sword Arya got from Jon. Plus Dany's final betrayal, the one for love. If Arya indeed does kill Dany, it will be for love - for Jon.

Oooooooh, I like this theory.  Bravo, @Sanrast.  I actually was pretty convinced Danaerys was going to be the big bad final villain (on the human side) until recently, both in the show and in the books.  Now I'm more inclined to think that she'll remain a sympathetic protagonist throughout the rest of the story, in which case @MakeThemBurn's theory where Arya is in this case the one acting out of selfishness would make it a really heart-wrenching event.  Personally, I don't believe it will be Arya or anyone on team Stark offing Dany, but that she'll die a hero's death in battle and Jon will be all sad and emo-like over it.  But I'd find it far more compelling to see two thus-far protagonists at odds with each other.

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I've always thought her big kill would be Varys.  She is basically better than him at everything, and she heard him plotting against her father back in the 1st season, she just didn't know who she was overhearing at the time.

I think that will happen in the books, but in the show Varys has been altered so much (from the removal of Aegon from the plot) that I can't think of any reason Arya would have to kill him.  At this point they've made him little more than the Abbot to Tyrion's Costello.

I think Varys will be one character who gets a vastly different ending in the show vs the books.  

3 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

I think that will happen in the books, but in the show Varys has been altered so much (from the removal of Aegon from the plot) that I can't think of any reason Arya would have to kill him.  At this point they've made him little more than the Abbot to Tyrion's Costello.

I think Varys will be one character who gets a vastly different ending in the show vs the books.  

Agree completely, hence the edit in my post, I wasn't sure what we were allowed to post in this thread.

On 7/2/2017 at 11:42 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Arya will defend house Stark against all enemies, outside and inside the family. I have always thought that since Sansa's wolf paid with its life for what Arya's was accused of would come back in some way. I think Arya will have some difficult choices.

Well, I think you're right about that, but what do you think about the original poster's theory?

On 7/1/2017 at 9:24 PM, anjulibai said:

She has no reason to kill Dany or Tyrion or even Varys. The only person really left on her list for her to kill is Cersei. I'm not even sure Littlefinger was on her list originally, but I suspect that's who she will kill. 

Yeah, I think we'd have to see some pretty major developments for her to have motvation to cross off Dany or Varys, but Tyrion is a Lannister, so I don't think it would take much for Arya to become "agitated" with him.  I'm not saying she would cross him off at first sight, just that I don't think it would take a whole lot for Tyrion's name to show up on Arya's list.

7 hours ago, Cron said:

Yeah, I think we'd have to see some pretty major developments for her to have motvation to cross off Dany or Varys, but Tyrion is a Lannister, so I don't think it would take much for Arya to become "agitated" with him.  I'm not saying she would cross him off at first sight, just that I don't think it would take a whole lot for Tyrion's name to show up on Arya's list.

Maybe, but Tyrion is not like the other Lannisters. If Arya meets up with Sansa, Arya will probably learn that Tyrion was kind to Sansa and tried to protect her. Tyrion is also likely to be kindly disposed towards the remaining Starks, so I'm not sure he'd do anything to antagonize any of them. If anything, he'll see them as good potential allies for Dany and try to get them on her side. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion doesn't propose a marriage alliance between Jon and Dany in order bring the North into the fold. 

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Maybe, but Tyrion is not like the other Lannisters. If Arya meets up with Sansa, Arya will probably learn that Tyrion was kind to Sansa and tried to protect her. Tyrion is also likely to be kindly disposed towards the remaining Starks, so I'm not sure he'd do anything to antagonize any of them. If anything, he'll see them as good potential allies for Dany and try to get them on her side. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion doesn't propose a marriage alliance between Jon and Dany in order bring the North into the fold. 

Those are good points, and I hear you.

As I mentioned, I don't believe Arya would cross Tyrion off at first sight, but I do believe she's on the fence about him (at best), maybe leaning towards "Lannister = Enemy," and could be influenced and tipped either way pretty easily.

Sure, if she meets up with Jon, too, I think Jon would speak well of Tyrion and tell her not to cross him off, too, but overall,in general, I think there is QUITE a blood feud going on between the Starks and Lannisters, and I don't think it would take much to tip Arya in the other direction, either.

12 minutes ago, Cron said:

Those are good points, and I hear you.

As I mentioned, I don't believe Arya would cross Tyrion off at first sight, but I do believe she's on the fence about him (at best), maybe leaning towards "Lannister = Enemy," and could be influenced and tipped either way pretty easily.

Sure, if she meets up with Jon, too, I think Jon would speak well of Tyrion and tell her not to cross him off, too, but overall,in general, I think there is QUITE a blood feud going on between the Starks and Lannisters, and I don't think it would take much to tip Arya in the other direction, either.

Jaime wasn't on her list, either, but it seemed hinted in the 6x10 scene where the pretty servant girl was eyeing Jaime that Arya was considering adding him to her targets. I think D&D and/or Maisie said as much.

With that said, the only surviving Starks at this point other than Arya are those who don't have beef with Tyrion, and Arya isn't the type to kill for the fun of it. Besides, she already knew that the play contained some pretty striking inaccuracies (the depiction of Ned's execution, e.g.), so she's unlikely to take Tyrion's rape of Sansa in the play as an accurate depiction of what happened.

1 hour ago, Newstar said:

Jaime wasn't on her list, either, but it seemed hinted in the 6x10 scene where the pretty servant girl was eyeing Jaime that Arya was considering adding him to her targets. I think D&D and/or Maisie said as much.

With that said, the only surviving Starks at this point other than Arya are those who don't have beef with Tyrion, and Arya isn't the type to kill for the fun of it. Besides, she already knew that the play contained some pretty striking inaccuracies (the depiction of Ned's execution, e.g.), so she's unlikely to take Tyrion's rape of Sansa in the play as an accurate depiction of what happened.

These are really strong contributions from you, I believe.  Frankly, I didn't think of EITHER of those scenes in connection with this discussion but are potentially highly relevant.

Why WAS Arya eying up Jaime at The Twins????  Could be she's now old enough to consider him attractive (as LOTS of women do, as Bronn has pointed out many times), or it could be she was considering crossing him off, or maybe he was just a curiosity to her, along the line of "Hey, there's a Lannister!" Or "Maybe if I follow him after I cross off these Freys, I can slip into his group and get close to Cersei to cross HER off."

Regarding Tyrion's portrayal in the play:  Wow, that MIGHT have an impact on Arya's view of Tyrion.  She MIGHT be deeply skeptical, since, as you mention, she KNOWS some of what is in the play was false, but...it's also possible that at that moment she learned for the first time that Sansa did marry Tyrion, and Arya could easily assume Sansan would never do that voluntarily, and then, upon returning to Westeros, she could learn that Sansa and Tyrion actually DID marry, at which time Arya could assume Sansa WAS coerced, and from that point it's reasonable to assume Sansa was raped (of course, we know that's not true, and Tyrion did NOT rape Sansa, but given confirmation of the other pieces of the puzzle, Arya just might assume the last piece is there, too, and act on it)

Great food for thought. 

Archived