three queens

Clegane'sPup

LF had been away attending a wedding. When he returns he says old Kettleblack had brought word from KL.

A Feast for Crows - Alayne II

"You would not believe half of what is happening in King's Landing, sweetling. Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind. I always anticipated that she would beggar the realm and destroy herself, but I never expected she would do it quite so fast.

It is quite vexing. I had hoped to have four or five quiet years to plant some seeds and allow some fruits to ripen, but now . . . it is a good thing that I thrive on chaos. What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear."   "Three queens?" She did not understand. Nor did Petyr choose to explain.

In no particular order I’m guessing the deaf, the dim and the blind refer to Pycelle, Swift and Tyrell.

Who are the three queens? Who battles whom and who comes out the winner why?

Thoughts, japes, remarks.

15 minutes ago, Daena the Defiant said:

At the time of the quote - Cersei, Margaery and Daenerys. 

I believe this to be true (and the most obvious answer) but GRRM could change his mind to make it a reference to Arianne and or Asha or hell even Myrcella or Sansa herself if he wanted to pair Littlefinger with one of them in the next book.

I need to re-read these chapters, but my guess would be Cersei, Margaery, and either Myrcella or Sansa. Myrcella wold be LF anticipating Dorne declaring for her; Sansa would be his intention to raise her up. Mostly though, I think LF is purposefully trying to get Sansa to read into his words.

I was just thinking about this yesterday! At first I thought it was Margaery, Cersei, and Dany. However, I think LF is planning on finding some way to plant Sansa on the Iron Throne. Much like how he must know about Dany, he probably knows about Aegon by this point as well. I'm sure he has some plan brewing to wed Sansa to Aegon. The question is whether he plans on waiting for the other warring families to decimate each other, and therefore they are the three queens that he hopes for Sansa to replace, or if Sansa is one of the trio already in his mind. Toppling Cersei and Margaery shouldn't be too difficult at this point, but the problem is Dany and her dragons. I fully expect LF to engineer a smear campaign against Dany, the same way he did Selyse in ACOK, spreading stories about her being the Mad Queen, and probably some sort of sexual deviant who bathes in the blood of virgins as well. This would only be effective if there was a better candidate around, however, which I'm guessing is Aegon. If that's so, then he probably plans on having earned Aegon's favor by the time Dany arrives, and therefore to have already wed Sansa to Aegon by that point.

In short, as of now I think the three queens are Cersei, Margaery, and Sansa. LF plans on letting the Lannisters and Tyrells destroy each other, then to ally with Aegon and have him and Sansa take over the Red Keep. After that comes the war against Daenerys. 

Of course, I don't expect LF's grand plan to go as smoothly as he expects it too. Tyrion is still inconveniently alive, Euron is rising in the West, Asha and her faction of the Ironborn may well pledge themselves to Stannis, Rickon is alive, Jon Snow will soon be undead, and after all she's been through, Sansa doesn't want anything to do with King's Landing anymore. I think the agency we've all been waiting to see from Sansa will be her trying to get out of a marriage alliance with Aegon, or at least take the control away from Littlefinger. 

TWOW is going to be crazy, and just talking about all of this makes me beyond excited to finally read it.  

Cersei and Margarey have to be 1 and 2, it seems. The 3rd could be Selyse, Mellisandre, Danerys, Arianne, Sansa, Myrcella, Val and maybe Jeyne Westerling?...

However, given the context, and him framing it as the immediate aftermath of the 5 kings, I'm thinking it's not Dany. He means something now, a queen NOW. And in Westeros NOW.  And that really only leaves Selyse/Mel/Myrcella. I'm going with Selyse as #3. LF is possibly the most cunning man in the realm, and he knows the throne isn't paying back its debt to the Iron Bank of Bravos, and also is clever enough to deduce that it might mean Stannis could receive a giant boost from them. 

If he means Dany, then it's odd, because her fury is still quite possibly years away, for all LF knows. At that point in the books, Dany herself is still ruling Mereen, and not even exploring options to come home, refusing to use Xaro's 13 boats to return home. In all actuality, as far as LF knows, she might never show up. Which makes "will not long survive the three queens" a very out of place and off turn of phrase.

6 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

However, given the context, and him framing it as the immediate aftermath of the 5 kings, I'm thinking it's not Dany. He means something now, a queen NOW. And in Westeros NOW.  And that really only leaves Selyse/Mel/Myrcella. I'm going with Selyse as #3. LF is possibly the most cunning man in the realm, and he knows the throne isn't paying back its debt to the Iron Bank of Bravos, and also is clever enough to deduce that it might mean Stannis could receive a giant boost from them. 

If he means Dany, then it's odd, because her fury is still quite possibly years away, for all LF knows. At that point in the books, Dany herself is still ruling Mereen, and not even exploring options to come home, refusing to use Xaro's 13 boats to return home. In all actuality, as far as LF knows, she might never show up. Which makes "will not long survive the three queens" a very out of place and off turn of phrase.

Yes, completely agree. He means NOW. He's talking about the direct aftermath of the 5 kings . Now that I think on it, you're probably right on Selyse. But I like the idea of QoT too :D

You all are making a lot of great points about Olenna and Selyse. In reference to the latter, however, what does LF expect Selyse personally to do that will make her more of a threat? Stannis is still the one calling all the shots, so I'm not sure how Selyse could be seen as a contender on her own.

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

You all are making a lot of great points about Olenna and Selyse. In reference to the latter, however, what does LF expect Selyse personally to do that will make her more of a threat? Stannis is still the one calling all the shots, so I'm not sure how Selyse could be seen as a contender on her own.

Which is why I added Mel. And to be fair, Mel/Selyse are interchangeable as far as this argument goes. For the both represent the wroth of Stannis's army and claim to the throne. 

6 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

Which is why I added Mel. And to be fair, Mel/Selyse are interchangeable as far as this argument goes. For the both represent the wroth of Stannis's army and claim to the throne. 

That could be it. I don't remember if she was ever directly referred to as a queen, but Melisandre is widely known as Stannis' closest companion now. 

7 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

That could be it. I don't remember if she was ever directly referred to as a queen, but Melisandre is widely known as Stannis' closest companion now. 

Depends on if you consider Melisandre younger. I remember in the show, 

Spoiler

without her ruby choker, she looked just like Miracle Max.

I found this deviantart worth looking at. Cersei makes me think of Lady Macbeth.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think the three queens are Cersei, Margaery, and Sansa

I agree.  I think 'the three queens' is one of GRRM's chess analogies.  Every chess game starts out with two queens -- one 'black' and one 'white' -- however, it's possible ironically for the game to acquire a third, should a pawn cross the board, when it can be exchanged for another piece, such as a queen!  Sansa is Littlefinger's pawn, whom he intends to 'cross the board' and become queen.  

5 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

His queen or someone else's?

My money is on Aegon. George mentioned how LF has something of a split personality when it comes to Sansa. He knows she's more valuable to him as a bartering chip, but there's also the part of him that wants her for himself. So right now he's trying to balance the two, kissing and touching her all the time, but making sure she remains pure for when Aegon comes around. 

16 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

I agree.  I think 'the three queens' is one of GRRM's chess analogies.  Every chess game starts out with two queens -- one 'black' and one 'white' -- however, it's possible ironically for the game to acquire a third, should a pawn cross the board, when it can be exchanged for another piece, such as a queen!  Sansa is Littlefinger's pawn, whom he intends to 'cross the board' and become queen.  

I had always assumed it was Daenerys (that Littlefinger was quite aware of her) but this is a compelling argument.

I think the third queen is probably the Queen of Thorns.  The way he ways it, it seems to refer to events occurring right now or in the immediate future.  Also, it seems to be referring to queens who have power or influence in and of themselves.  Daenerys is too far away, both geographically and temporally (it would take months for her just to get to Westeros)  I don't think Sansa is anywhere near becoming a queen, either, and, if married to Aegon, it would be Aegon who wielded the power.  The only other possibility is Myrcella, but she is too young. 

Also, an argument can be made that Cersei, Margaery, and Olenna are the three who are really in charge, or try to be.  Cersei is regent, Margaery has power through her marriage to Tommen, and the Queen of Thorns has considerable influence over both Margaery and Mace Tyrell.  Some might argue that she is the real power in the Tyrell family.  So I'm going with Cersei, Margaery, and Olenna (Queen of Thorns)

Archived