GLOW...Just like that Women's Prison Show but with big hair and 80s tunes

generalzod

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

I thought it was really well handled if they wanted to acknowledge it without delving into it, but I said to Brook after watching it that I suspect it would go over the head of a lot of people that are younger than us. The impact of the AIDS epidemic is something that's really hard to convey to people that didn't live through it and I'm all for trying to keep memory of that alive even when it's subtle. 

Helena - I don't think Bash and Florian ever even had sex, so I don't think there is so much to explore there. I absolutely think Bash is gay and they were in love, but he's too repressed to confront it and that shows itself when he realised Florian had been going to a gay bar. I'm positive him confronting that reality will be part of the ongoing story though, as lightly as they touched Florian's death.

Stupid question but did Bash and Florian do anything together, romantically? I don't remember anything on screen. When he went to the bar and it was clearly a gay bar and he seemed oblivious to it I thought he didn't know the guy was gay. Then he finds out about the death and cause and that sent him over the edge, as it did most people at that time, hence the cleaning crew and such. 

Side note, I remember my cousin was a caretaker in late 80's for someone with aids and people were still in shock about someone even being willing to care for the patient. It truly was a scary time with all the unknowns and misinformation that was out there.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

I thought it was really well handled if they wanted to acknowledge it without delving into it, but I said to Brook after watching it that I suspect it would go over the head of a lot of people that are younger than us. The impact of the AIDS epidemic is something that's really hard to convey to people that didn't live through it and I'm all for trying to keep memory of that alive even when it's subtle. 

Helena - I don't think Bash and Florian ever even had sex, so I don't think there is so much to explore there. I absolutely think Bash is gay and they were in love, but he's too repressed to confront it and that shows itself when he realised Florian had been going to a gay bar. I'm positive him confronting that reality will be part of the ongoing story though, as lightly as they touched Florian's death.

Yeah - Bash is absolutely gay and either doesn’t want to admit it or doesn’t even completely realise until he’s in that bar maybe. I love Bash and look forward to his storyline being fleshed out a bit more next season. 

Love love love this show. 

4 hours ago, karaddin said:

Probably wasnt clear from my initial post but I didn’t mean to imply  sexual relationship but something along the lines of what you said - Bash having romantic feelings but denying/repressing them. I hope you are correct and Bash confronts this. With him now married I suspect thats likely

14 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah - Bash is absolutely gay and either doesn’t want to admit it or doesn’t even completely realise until he’s in that bar maybe. I love Bash and look forward to his storyline being fleshed out a bit more next season. 

Love love love this show. 

That's exactly how I interpreted it - he only realised at the level of conscious repression when at the bar. Realising Florian was gay rang the bell of recognition in his subconscious and he got the hell out of dodge.

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Probably wasnt clear from my initial post but I didn’t mean to imply  sexual relationship but something along the lines of what you said - Bash having romantic feelings but denying/repressing them. I hope you are correct and Bash confronts this. With him now married I suspect thats likely

Yeah, he ran straight from becoming aware of who he really is and the loss of the man he'd loved since primary school (without awareness) into a snap marriage to a woman. That isn't going to hold.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:01 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

The whole season was fucking excellent. Brilliant TV. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Agree wholeheartedly.

I thought the first season was great, but season two outdid itself. 

The only other thing I can say is something I said in the Marvel thread, as I watched this season I kept thinking if someone doesn't cast Marc Maron as Stan Lee in a biopic it will be a huge loss.

Archived