Arya Reunited with Nymeria

50 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

why would you ride a direwolf? It slows down the wolf making it weaker and more vulnerable and is less effective then a horse for the rider as well. Plus it would look stupid

This is the only point I disagree with you on. I bet that if an army sees a pack of wolves lead by a human riding a horse-sized direwolf they would all die of heart attack before the fight even begins, it would look goddamn awesome and terrifying.

But other than that, yeah, riding a direwolf would be extremely inefficient, both to the rider and to the mount.

On 30/06/2017 at 6:54 PM, The_Red_Viper_of_Dorne said:

I don't see anyone riding a direwolf honestly. They just aren't built for riding.

I beg to differ: Unlike the tv series that shows the direwolves looking like canine siberian husky/golden retriever sizes, direwolves in the text are described as the size of aurochs (ie. head height with men). That might be some choice that made on purpose on the shows part, but in the books it's very clear the direwolves are the size comparable to riding a bull in a rodeo.

It's one of the things that irked me about the show, is that the direwolves have been so under represented as to seem negligable. If there's one thing I love about Martin's story, it's the direwolves and their presence in the story. We are reminded regularly that Nymeria is connecting to Arya, while leading an army wolf pack in the Riverlands, we don't get left in the lurch about Ghost via Jon, nor Summer via Bran.

9 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hmm, the survey poll results at the end are interesting. I never would have guessed that. (no spoilers from me!)

The video does make a good point that Littlefinger is the one person who will not be able to influence Arya at all :D

here is a link to the video if anyone is interested.

Not sure how Ned did not win that poll. He provides the moral structure that the rest is build upon. Sandor lucky to get on the list let alone win it.

I'm not sure if the video is primarily supposed to be about the show - towards the end it increasingly mentions what will happen in season 7 rather than in Winds - but the idea that Nymeria and Arya have lost their connection does not add up at all in the books. Since they were last together in AGOT, Arya has developed the ability to warg, Nymeria fished the body of Cat out of the Trident - knowing who she was and the wolves were sent to ambush Arya's pursuers during the flight from Harrenhal. That is in addition to other things that may hold true in the adaptation but don't here - like Arya needing to be taught how to love and her training primarily being about how to kill people.

Also the insinuation that Arya is unfit for living with humans is patently untrue; and, even if she was significantly more wild than she is, would be a vile thing to say about a traumatised child anyway.

31 minutes ago, Weirwood Ghost said:

I beg to differ: Unlike the tv series that shows the direwolves looking like canine siberian husky/golden retriever sizes, direwolves in the text are described as the size of aurochs (ie. head height with men). That might be some choice that made on purpose on the shows part, but in the books it's very clear the direwolves are the size comparable to riding a bull in a rodeo.

It's one of the things that irked me about the show, is that the direwolves have been so under represented as to seem negligable. If there's one thing I love about Martin's story, it's the direwolves and their presence in the story. We are reminded regularly that Nymeria is connecting to Arya, while leading an army wolf pack in the Riverlands, we don't get left in the lurch about Ghost via Jon, nor Summer via Bran.

I know how big tney are supposed to be, I have read the books. But being big enough to theoretically ride is one thing, while being fit and built for riding is something else entirely. Having a human on her back would make Nymeria totally incapable of fighting.

5 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Not sure how Ned did not win that poll. He provides the moral structure that the rest is build upon. Sandor lucky to get on the list let alone win it.

RE: Ned... I know! I was thoroughly shocked at that. I am not sure how widespread the poll was conducted (up for how long, how many responded) but this was a huge shock to me that other readers think this way. I hope this is not being influenced by that show.

I'm not sure if the video is primarily supposed to be about the show - towards the end it increasingly mentions what will happen in season 7 rather than in Winds

Yeah, I noticed this as well. At first I was ok with the video (disagreeing or not) because it seemed to be book based. But then that damned show "info" started leaking in and it kinda soured it for me (just a little).

I will say that the creator of the video does makes the interesting point of Littlefinger cannot influence Arya because of her experiences/training. I love that idea.

- but the idea that Nymeria and Arya have lost their connection does not add up at all in the books. Since they were last together in AGOT, Arya has developed the ability to warg, Nymeria fished the body of Cat out of the Trident - knowing who she was and the wolves were sent to ambush Arya's pursuers during the flight from Harrenhal. That is in addition to other things that may hold true in the adaptation but don't here - like Arya needing to be taught how to love and her training primarily being about how to kill people.

I agree. Arya is keeping contact, in her dreams, with Nymeria even when half a world away. I believe George said it was Arya warging Nymeria when Cat was pulled from the river. That seems to be a strong bond, in my opinion.

I am still curious how others are taking this video.

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I will say that the creator of the video does makes the interesting point of Littlefinger cannot influence Arya because of her experiences/training. I love that idea.

Totally. I doubt they will meet in the books, I reckon Sansa will already have solved that problem by the time Arya has a chance to get involved.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Totally. I doubt they will meet in the books, I reckon Sansa will already have solved that problem by the time Arya has a chance to get involved.

Haha. That is my hope as well :devil:

7 hours ago, Weirwood Ghost said:

when did it day direwolves were that big? I know that that boar that the skin changer in a dance of dragons had was the size of a bull and was bigger then ghost. But either way I still think riding a direwolf is a waste. I do agree that the direwolves in the show aren't as cool as the ones in the books who can rip peoples arms off. And nymeria in the books and her story after she leaves arya is awesome.

On 02/07/2017 at 5:23 AM, snow is the man said:

when did it day direwolves were that big? I know that that boar that the skin changer in a dance of dragons had was the size of a bull and was bigger then ghost. But either way I still think riding a direwolf is a waste. I do agree that the direwolves in the show aren't as cool as the ones in the books who can rip peoples arms off. And nymeria in the books and her story after she leaves arya is awesome.

AFFC P418-419: Septon Meribald is telling Brienne:

"So many voices...a sound to curdle a man's blood. It even set Dog to shivering, and Dog has killed a dozen wolves." He ruffled the dog's head. "Some will tell you that they are demons. They say the pack is led by a monstrous she-wolf, a stalking shadow grim and grey and huge. They will tell you that she has been known to bring aurochs down all by herself, that no trap nor snare can hold her, that she fears neither steel nor fire, slays any wolf that tried to mount her, and devours no other flesh by man."

Ok I got the size of Nymeria muddled with the imagery of being the size of an auroch. I had to go through all my books to find this quote because your question made me wonder where the hell I got the notion she was as big as an auroch. I still envisage Nymeria and all the Starks direwolves as being large enough to compare with a young auroch, or size of a pony (as per Bran's description of the female direwolf mother killed in his first PoV chapter).

Do I think Arya will ride Nymeria? Couldn't say, only that I think it's possible, like anything in a fiction fantasy that hasn't been finished. I've got the imagery of the wargs from Lord of the rings being ridden by orcs in my head. They don't seem to find it difficult.

3 hours ago, Weirwood Ghost said:

"So many voices...a sound to curdle a man's blood. It even set Dog to shivering, and Dog has killed a dozen wolves." He ruffled the dog's head. "Some will tell you that they are demons. They say the pack is led by a monstrous she-wolf, a stalking shadow grim and grey and huge. They will tell you that she has been known to bring aurochs down all by herself, that no trap nor snare can hold her, that she fears neither steel nor fire, slays any wolf that tried to mount her, and devours no other flesh by man."

Ok I got the size of Nymeria muddled with the imagery of being the size of an auroch. I had to go through all my books to find this quote because your question made me wonder where the hell I got the notion she was as big as an auroch. I still envisage Nymeria and all the Starks direwolves as being large enough to compare with a young auroch, or size of a pony (as per Bran's description of the female direwolf mother killed in his first PoV chapter).

Do I think Arya will ride Nymeria? Couldn't say, only that I think it's possible, like anything in a fiction fantasy that hasn't been finished. I've got the imagery of the wargs from Lord of the rings being ridden by orcs in my head. They don't seem to find it difficult.

I do agree about the size of a pony. Though to be fair some dogs are that big. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk if it came off that way I was just confused about the size of an aurochs thing

5 hours ago, Weirwood Ghost said:
Spoiler

Hang on. Are you comparing our Arya to an orc? :D

1 hour ago, snow is the man said:

I do agree about the size of a pony. Though to be fair some dogs are that big. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk if it came off that way I was just confused about the size of an aurochs thing

Due to my drinking habits, I know about aurochs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurochs

Nah, the TV show aside, I think Nym is too wild. And I don't think she will remember fondly the girl who pelted her with rocks and made her leave.I foresee a reunion, but not a good one. Maybe even one in which Arya dies.

1 hour ago, snow is the man said:

Ironically I looked it up a while ago because it was mentioned in the books so much.

Ah. Then you know they're considerably larger than a pony. 

I was misled by your comment below:

"I do agree about the size of a pony. Though to be fair some dogs are that big. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk if it came off that way I was just confused about the size of an aurochs thing."

Anyway. 

Who knows, real aurochs (according to wiki, the northern ones had an average height at the shoulders of 155–180 cm ) may differ from Westerosi aurochs, which may have the size of ponies..

2 hours ago, HaeSuse said:

Nah, the TV show aside, I think Nym is too wild. And I don't think she will remember fondly the girl who pelted her with rocks and made her leave.I foresee a reunion, but not a good one. Maybe even one in which Arya dies.

A skinchanged animal can make it perfectly clear that it resents being occupied, and could maybe even be able to resist an untrained warg like Arya, much as Thistle did Orell. Nymeria never reacts this way to Arya. The direwolves have a deep emotional connection to their owners, so Nymeria would realise that Arya was only forcing her to leave very reluctantly. Then you have the ambush of the Bolton men and pulling of Cat from the river which would seem odd favours for a girl you hate.

As for Nymeria being too wild to live with humans other than Arya, I am skeptical. The bigger, pretty unsurmountable problem is with the grey cousins.

36 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

A skinchanged animal can make it perfectly clear that it resents being occupied, and could maybe even be able to resist an untrained warg like Arya, much as Thistle did Orell. Nymeria never reacts this way to Arya. The direwolves have a deep emotional connection to their owners, so Nymeria would realise that Arya was only forcing her to leave very reluctantly. Then you have the ambush of the Bolton men and pulling of Cat from the river which would seem odd favours for a girl you hate.

As for Nymeria being too wild to live with humans other than Arya, I am skeptical. The bigger, pretty unsurmountable problem is with the grey cousins.

Am I missing something? Has Arya ever "warged" as Nym? She has the dreams, sure. But actual warging? If Nymeria DID realize that, why didn't she make her presence known to Arya? A thousand times over she had the chance, before Arya left for Bravos. Why not? 

47 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

Am I missing something? Has Arya ever "warged" as Nym? She has the dreams, sure. But actual warging?

The wolf dreams are still warging.

47 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

If Nymeria DID realize that, why didn't she make her presence known to Arya? A thousand times over she had the chance, before Arya left for Bravos. Why not? 

Plot. Arya would've remained in Westeros had she reunited with Nymeria, that could not happen so they never meet.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

The wolf dreams are still warging.

Plot. Arya would've remained in Westeros had she reunited with Nymeria, that could not happen so they never meet.

We shall see. I imagine it will be less fun than you are imagining. I hope not, but so it goes.

Archived