How do you react to Lysa Arryns letter ?

Stormking902

I think litterally everyone on this forum can agree Ned and especially Cat handled the letter terribly wrong Cats rash and idiotic idea to arrest Tyrion Lannister cost her the lifes of her husband and son and the removal of house Stark from WF. 

You are both Ned and Cat what decisions would you make differently for both of them put in the exact same situations as the books?. 

One thing they really should have done, and utterly failed to do, was get in contact with Lysa and get more information out of her. It seems strange that they let the letter kick off a whole series of events without even once returning to the source. Ned launches on a whole investigation into Jon Arryn’s death without once following up on the source of the accusation, who at the very least could have provided leads.

With the benefit of knowing what happened, we know that in getting in contact with Lysa they could have either decided she was nuts, or that she wasn’t being honest (or, as is the actual case, both).

6 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Tell Bobby B and let him unleash hell, it's his Kingdom and his father figure too. Plus if by chance Bob takes the Lannisters side Lysa will be the one who is punished. 

I've thought about that option, as that would probably be my first instinct in that situation, but I would imagine the Lannisters would blame Eddard for bringing it to his attention, and that would bring the Starks into their sights. 

2 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

I think litterally everyone on this forum can agree Ned and especially Cat handled the letter terribly wrong Cats rash and idiotic idea to arrest Tyrion Lannister cost her the lifes of her husband and son and the removal of house Stark from WF. 

You are both Ned and Cat what decisions would you make differently for both of them put in the exact same situations as the books?. 

Don't. Trust. Littlefinger.

20 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I've thought about that option, as that would probably be my first instinct in that situation, but I would imagine the Lannisters would blame Eddard for bringing it to his attention, and that would bring the Starks into their sights. 

Maybe, but Ned is not known as a schemer. If the Lannisters get mad at Ned he could just tell them he was reporting Lysa's possible treason and just wanted to get to the bottom of it out in the open. It would reinforce his image as the naive Northerner who tells the truth about everything and doesn't know how to play the game. I think they would believe it, as it's not that far of a stretch.

10 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Maybe, but Ned is not known as a schemer. If the Lannisters get mad at Ned he could just tell them he was reporting Lysa's possible treason and just wanted to get to the bottom of it out in the open. It would reinforce his image as the naive Northerner who tells the truth about everything and doesn't know how to play the game. I think they would believe it, as it's not that far of a stretch.

I see your point, and I can see Robert giving him the benefit of the doubt, but we know from Cersei's conversation with Jaime before they shove Bran out the tower that she's already suspicious of Ned's motives. Like most power-hungry, scheming narcisissts, Cersei tends to think everyone has the same motivations as her. Plus, she's utterly paranoid. 

2 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

One thing they really should have done, and utterly failed to do, was get in contact with Lysa and get more information out of her. It seems strange that they let the letter kick off a whole series of events without even once returning to the source. Ned launches on a whole investigation into Jon Arryn’s death without once following up on the source of the accusation, who at the very least could have provided leads.

With the benefit of knowing what happened, we know that in getting in contact with Lysa they could have either decided she was nuts, or that she wasn’t being honest (or, as is the actual case, both).

While I agree on principle here I am having a tough time thinking about how they go about this since Cat probably needs to stay in Winterfell with Bran while Ned heads south to KL and it's not like they can send anyone else to talk to Lysa.  One thing Ned definitely needed to do was summon Stannis back to King's Landing or meet him somewhere else and get his take on it.  Neither Ned nor Robert seemed to care enough that the Mannis and the fleet had left right after Jon Arryn's death.

Well i wouldn't be so eager to take my children into the lion's den so to speak, could not understand this at all, he receives word his friend was murdered by the queen's family and says you know what? i'm going to investigate this, but not before i take 3 of my 5 children into this so they may serve as hostages later on lolz.

3 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

While I agree on principle here I am having a tough time thinking about how they go about this since Cat probably needs to stay in Winterfell with Bran while Ned heads south to KL and it's not like they can send anyone else to talk to Lysa.

I don't know, they've got a pretty loyal crew - Jory or Rodrik could go, and there must be others who they can trust to make the trip and ask a few questions. 

8 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

ne thing Ned definitely needed to do was summon Stannis back to King's Landing or meet him somewhere else and get his take on it.  Neither Ned nor Robert seemed to care enough that the Mannis and the fleet had left right after Jon Arryn's death.

I think Ned did repeatedly try and get in touch with Stannis, but got no reply. 

29 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I don't know, they've got a pretty loyal crew - Jory or Rodrik could go, and there must be others who they can trust to make the trip and ask a few questions. 

Yea Ned sent ravens to Dragonstone demanding Stannis return to KL and take his place on the SC immediately. 

Still Eddard would've pushed the process of Lannister dethroning & end up as he did. He was fixated with this idea and couldn't help it, like a true man does. :lol: He already was heading to King's Landing anyway and would've found out the truth.

I think he was aware of the fact how disturbed Lysa is, and Baelish is not to be trusted. But, he saw what he wanted to see.

23 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Still Eddard would've pushed the process of Lannister dethroning & end up as he did. He was fixated with this idea and couldn't help it, like a true man does. :lol: He already was heading to King's Landing anyway and would've found out the truth.

I think he was aware of the fact how disturbed Lysa is, and Baelish is not to be trusted. But, he saw what he wanted to see.

I agree but where does all the Lannister hate come from ? Because what Tywin did to Rhegars children? And what Jamie did to Aerys? Or is there a history between house Lannister and Stark.

2 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

I agree but where does all the Lannister hate come from ? Because what Tywin did to Rhegars children? And what Jamie did to Aerys? Or is there a history between house Lannister and Stark.

At the very least. There's little to no remarks about the two before 281 AC.

10 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

1. Because what Tywin and his forces did. Ned didn't appreciate the fact Lannisters were neutral until Tywin smelled Robert's victory, but just slaughtered innocent babies and sacked the capital to prove their loyalty to the next King. 

2. Let's not forget the (probably) main character of this story: Jon Snow. I guess Eddard was disgusted and full of hatred for Tywin, the Mountain etc., because their cruelty was an association of what would they do to his own nephew if they had the chance and if they knew who he was. 

5 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I see your point, and I can see Robert giving him the benefit of the doubt, but we know from Cersei's conversation with Jaime before they shove Bran out the tower that she's already suspicious of Ned's motives. Like most power-hungry, scheming narcisissts, Cersei tends to think everyone has the same motivations as her. Plus, she's utterly paranoid. 

Yeah I'm sure the only way Cersei might have trusted Ned is if she got him in her bed.  

5 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

4 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Yea Ned sent ravens to Dragonstone demanding Stannis return to KL and take his place on the SC immediately. 

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't remember this well from AGOT.

13 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

The best thing Ned could have done is taken a larger guard with him to Kingslanding, send Cat to Lyssa to talk to her about the letter (it has to be Cat, no one else would work), and basically prepare the north right away for a possibility of war with the focus being on defending the North. 

Outside of that there is not much more he can do. The investigation in Kingslanding would go down the same way but now Cat is nowhere near there because she went directly to the Vale. This means the Riverlands are not attacked by Tywin for the abduction of Tyrion.

Of course it is up for debate how exactly everything plays out in Kingslanding when it comes to the death of Robert and crowning of Joffery.

Ned's best bet would actually be to release the news of the Twincest himself to the entire 7 kingdoms before telling Cersie. 

Archived