What you're reading - July 2017

RedEyedGhost

Horrible reading month in June, hoping to get back on track some this month.  Continuing my run through the Culture as I started Player of Games today.  Also giving up on chasing new releases for a while and went for a reread run; started with Fortune's Pawn by Rachael Aaron because I loved it a few years ago.

I'm 63% (according to Goodreads) done with John Adams at the moment. I've been picking up the pace with it recently and after that, hopefully The Unholy Consult will finally be out. If not, I'll continue on with The Book of Lost Tales Part 2. 

I finished The Eye of the World. After the letdown that was rereading the Shannara trilogy, it was pleasant to re-read a book and have it still be good. I really enjoyed it and am ready to start the next one (The Great Hunt), but of course it's checked out so I shall wait patiently...

Been re-reading Cloud Atlas. Hard-pressed to decide a favourite 'story' as I like them all in different ways. Sloosha's Crossing is good but probably the one I stuggled reading the most because of the way it's written. The Cavendish story always manages to make me chuckle though which is what I needed right now. 

I really love this book and for the life of me couldn't say why I've not read anything else by Mitchell. I always mean to but somehow never get around to it

8 hours ago, Peadar said:

Ada Palmer's Too Like the Lightning is finally out on Kindle. Time to jump aboard!

I'll be interested to see what you think of it, it's a book that seems to get a wide variety of reactions. As I said in the Hugo thread, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it, but it's definitely an interesting read.

19 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Been re-reading Cloud Atlas. Hard-pressed to decide a favourite 'story' as I like them all in different ways. Sloosha's Crossing is good but probably the one I stuggled reading the most because of the way it's written. The Cavendish story always manages to make me chuckle though which is what I needed right now. 

I really love this book and for the life of me couldn't say why I've not read anything else by Mitchell. I always mean to but somehow never get around to it

I think I'd probably say either Sloosha's Crossing or the Orison of Sonmei were probably my favourites, although I agree all the stories have something to recommend them.

As for Mitchell's other books, I'd say The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and Slade House are also excellent, Bone Clocks also has several good stories in it even if I don't feel it holds together as well as Cloud Atlas.

I started reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It's early days yet (just got to chapter 2) but I'm enjoying it so far. Not sure what took me so long to read it.

Still reading Metro Winds by Isobelle Carmody. I normally love her writing but this story I'm reading isn't grabbing me. Hopefully the next one in it is better. [14% goodreads]V

And I've read a bit more of Joan of Arc:The Image of Female Heroism byMarina Warner. Very interesting. [29% goodreads] 

14 hours ago, Peadar said:

Ada Palmer's Too Like the Lightning is finally out on Kindle. Time to jump aboard! I wasn't thrilled with Prisoner's of Geography. It was a decent summary of where the world stood in 2016, but no really startling insights.

What did you end up thinking about The Religion

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

What did you end up thinking about The Religion

Not for me. I liked the battle scenes, but hated the rest of it. The writing style was all peaks and no valleys.

6 hours ago, Peadar said:

Not for me. I liked the battle scenes, but hated the rest of it. The writing style was all peaks and no valleys.

Sounds like I won't be bumping it up in the queue then.  Thanks, Peadar!

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Sounds like I won't be bumping it up in the queue then.  Thanks, Peadar!

No worries -- mileage varies, of course! I believe it's a big seller.

23 hours ago, williamjm said:

I'll be interested to see what you think of it, it's a book that seems to get a wide variety of reactions. As I said in the Hugo thread, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it, but it's definitely an interesting read.

I think I'd probably say either Sloosha's Crossing or the Orison of Sonmei were probably my favourites, although I agree all the stories have something to recommend them.

As for Mitchell's other books, I'd say The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and Slade House are also excellent, Bone Clocks also has several good stories in it even if I don't feel it holds together as well as Cloud Atlas.

Yeah, Orisom of Sonmi is good. Probably the one that ties all of the stories together the best. 

Thanks for the input, will definitely be trying something else by Mitchell next

Killing time until The Unholy Consult arrives tomorrow or Thursday. Reading the new KJ Parker novella The Pen Is Mightier than the Sword. So far it's classic Parker. Enjoying it about halfway through. He always drops just enough hints that you can almost grasp the geography and history of the world and how all the books fit together, but not quite. I do think there was just a reference to the Scavenger Trilogy happening 4 Centuries before this book, in the same empire. 

Bought a book called The Court of Broken Knifes after a Goodreads recommendation. According to the author's website,

Perfect for fans of Mark Lawrence and R Scott Bakker, The Court of Broken Knives is the explosive debut by one of grimdark fantasy’s most exciting new voices.

Anna’s favourite authors and key influences are R. Scott Bakker, Steve Erikson, M. John Harrison, Ursula Le Guin, Mary Stewart and Mary Renault.  She spent several years as an obsessive D&D player. She can often be spotted at sff conventions wearing very unusual shoes.

Should be interesting...

1 hour ago, Hello World said:

Bought a book called The Court of Broken Knifes after a Goodreads recommendation. According to the author's website,

Should be interesting...

I got this too. Lots of good reviews. 

I got sidetracked and missed a whole stack of Orbit books with The Court of Broken Knifes looking like the most intriguing of the bunch.  Looking forward to seeing a few thoughts.

I finished The Great Hunt. It's a good book, but a bit slower than the first and starts too feel strangely paced. A little less of Rand's constant denials of the obvious would have been nice. Still, an enjoyable read and I forgot a surprising amount considering I've read this 2-3 times before. Towards the end we get our first actual glimpse of the Seanchan. The damane stuff is really awful. They are all as infuriating as I remember. Interestingly, I used to intensely dislike Nynaeve, but this time around she's kind of grown on me. I suppose as I get older I relate a little differently with the characters. I've got The Dragon Reborn all loaded up and ready to go.

Archived