RedEyedGhost

What you're reading - July 2017

115 posts in this topic

While still a fine novel, Robert Graves' Count Belisarius didn't entertain me nearly as much as his I, Claudius and Claudius the God. (But, in fairness, those are two of my favorite novels.) Part of it was wanting more political intrigue as in the Claudius novels and Eugenius being a bit of a bore as a narrator.

Next up are Daniel Ray Pollock's The Devil all the Time and William Gay's Provinces of Night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-read Jumper (the tech has aged badly, as has all the psychotherapy stuff -- letters and phone booths oh my) and the first two Earthsea (still like Atuan way better than #1, not sure I'll bother with the Farthest Shore). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished The Fires of Heaven. Lots of good stuff in this one (Moiraine! Rahvin! Asmodean! Aviendha!), but the in between parts dragged a bit. Typical WoT! :) I also missed having Perrin in this one and of course it's frustrating the amount of secrets that are flying around between the characters, mostly for poor reasons. Still, I enjoyed it. Somehow! On to Lord of Chaos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently, I finished Killing Floor (Jack Reacher #1).  Currently, I'm halfway through Marc Maron's biography Attempting Normal and 10% into Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence #1).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It felt like a good time to dive into a comfort (re)read, so I picked up Tim Powers' Last Call again. Couldn't tell you how many times I've read this now. I won't even pretend to be unbiased about this book. But it is so lovely to be reading something that I enjoy so much.

Last book I read before that was The Big Con: The Story of the Confidence Man by David Maurer. It's an overview of the culture of American con men in the 40's, written by a linguistics professor. It's interesting. The glossary is a hoot, and reading the descriptions of the cons feels like doing the background work for some of David Mamet's films.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2017 at 6:39 PM, Mr. X said:

It felt like a good time to dive into a comfort (re)read, so I picked up Tim Powers' Last Call again. Couldn't tell you how many times I've read this now. I won't even pretend to be unbiased about this book. But it is so lovely to be reading something that I enjoy so much.

I think I need to re-read it. AGAIN. Because you brought it up in conversation and now I'm thinking about how much I love this book. (This, Deviants, Anubis all tie for my fave.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2017 at 5:27 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Gonna be reading non-fiction after a long time.I bought Peter Frankopan's The Silk Roads: A New History of the World ,after watching a couple of his lectures on youtube, which i enjoyed very much.

What's a good way to get recs for good lectures on YouTube?   It's own search function does not help with quality (take note Google bots!), and likes or views aren't a good indicator on that platform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

What's a good way to get recs for good lectures on YouTube?   It's own search function does not help with quality (take note Google bots!), and likes or views aren't a good indicator on that platform. 

I don't know  tbh.I usually just type in book names or authors/people that i'm familiar with or people i've seen in previous lectures/debates etc.:)

Another way i do it is via google search,by specifying what i want,for example: 'youtube lectures history rome'

 

edit: lot's of links here (various subjects) - http://www.openculture.com/smartyoutube

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-history-YouTube-channels-or-podcasts-out-there

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-history-YouTube-channels-or-podcasts-out-there
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-best-YouTube-channels-series-on-different-cultures-and-history
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-good-YouTube-channel-for-world-history
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-YouTube-channels-for-medieval-history-content

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I don't know  tbh.I usually just type in book names or authors/people that i'm familiar with or people i've seen in previous lectures/debates etc.:)

Another way i do it is via google search,by specifying what i want,for example: 'youtube lectures history rome'

 

edit: lot's of links here (various subjects) - http://www.openculture.com/smartyoutube

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-history-YouTube-channels-or-podcasts-out-there

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-history-YouTube-channels-or-podcasts-out-there
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-best-YouTube-channels-series-on-different-cultures-and-history
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-good-YouTube-channel-for-world-history
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-YouTube-channels-for-medieval-history-content

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker again. I found it to be the scariest book that I have ever read a while back and wanted to take another turn at it. I was surprised that I found it that scary.

I'm also trying to read all of Chuck Palahniuk's stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Misenchanted  Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans   A Solider named Valder ends up with an enchanted sword with some very unpleasant attributes.  Excellent book. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting Spoonbenders based on Pat's recommendation, it seems interesting enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now