The Ghiscari Names

I know most readers have trouble pronouncing the Ghiscari names but I love them.  I will share my thoughts with you with regards to these names.  Please share your ideas if you like.  :)

If I had to rank my favorite people based on names alone:

1. Ghiscari - really cool names
  2. Dothraki - they sound harsh but that is in keeping with their culture
  3. Valyrian - I like some names like Rhaenyra and Daenerys.  I don't like Aenys, Aegor, Aegon, Jaeherys, Aerys, Daena, etc.  There's not enough variety.  Most of them sound too much like Ironborn names.
  4. Westeros - Not enough variety.  Most tend to the dull.  How many iterations do we need of Robert and Brandon!

Ghiscari with "zo" in between the first and last names stand at the highest notch of the social order.  Ex. Hizdahr zo Loraq has a higher social rank than Skahaz mo Kandaq.  Yurkhaz zo Yunzak has the highest rank among the Yunkaii contingent. Yezzan zo Qaggaz outrank Grazdan mo Eraz.. 

1. Most popular name among Ghiscari males?  I'm guessing Grazdan.  They pay homage to Grazdan the Great.
  2. Highest rank among Meereenese nobility?  The Loraqs. 
  3. The Ghiscari take family lineage very seriously.  Something they have in common with Westeros.  Who your ancestors were determine your place in their society.

Well noticed with "zo" and "mo". I've always just assumed that "zo" and "mo" were ways of saying "the" or "from", like "Hizdahr of Loraq" or "Hizdahr from Loraq". It never occured to me that it could mean how far up the social rank said House is.

2 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

I know most readers have trouble pronouncing the Ghiscari names but I love them.  I will share my thoughts with you with regards to these names.  Please share your ideas if you like.  :)

3. Valyrian - I like some names like Rhaenyra and Daenerys.  I don't like Aenys, Aegor, Aegon, Jaeherys, Aerys, Daena, etc.  There's not enough variety.  Most of them sound too much like Ironborn names.
  4. Westeros - Not enough variety.  Most tend to the dull.  How many iterations do we need of Robert and Brandon!

Ghiscari with "zo" in between the first and last names stand at the highest notch of the social order.  Ex. Hizdahr zo Loraq has a higher social rank than Skahaz mo Kandaq.  Yurkhaz zo Yunzak has the highest rank among the Yunkaii contingent. Yezzan zo Qaggaz outrank Grazdan mo Eraz.. 

1. Most popular name among Ghiscari males?  I'm guessing Grazdan.  They pay homage to Grazdan the Great.
  3. The Ghiscari take family lineage very seriously.  Something they have in common with Westeros.  Who your ancestors were determine your place in their society.

The educated highborn and the literate few are the only ones who know what their names look like on paper.  It's just sound.

The Ghiscari names appear strange to use when we read them on the page but they sound normal to them when spoken in their bastard form of High Valyrian.  The middle part of the name may indicate an honorific that convey the person's rank.  In this case, zo would have the highest honorific.

You may be right about the Loraqs.  The wiki in the back of the volume mentions Hizdahr comes from impeccable lineage.  His family can probably trace their ancestry back to Grazdan.  They are stuck in the past as a culture. 

My favorite names from the books are Ronnet, Daenerys, Theon, Rhaenyra, Jace (shortened form of Jaceaerys, which I don't like), Lynesse, and Alyn. 

3 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

I do too.  The Targaryen boys on the other hand have weird names.  

For the girls - Daenerys and Doreah are my faves.  

For the boys - I like "Lomas Longstrider", Sandor, and Garth. 

6 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

I do too.  The Targaryen boys on the other hand have weird names.  

For the girls - Daenerys and Doreah are my faves.  Make mine Daenerys, Doreah, and Lyanna.

For the boys - I like "Lomas Longstrider", Sandor, and Garth.  Barristan and Urrathon for mine.

4 hours ago, Ye Shall Be As Gods said:

Evidently names are very important to GRRM's creative process.  Anyhoo, my favorites.

Male = Sandor

Female = Daenerys

And how did George come up with the name Targaryen!  That is just the coolest of names.  That it is.

Well, I'm with the big man on the nature of Ghiscari names - they're all "Harzoo" to me. However, this discussion is giving me new perspectives and possibly even a better appreciation.

On 7/1/2017 at 2:10 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Hizdahr zo Loraq has a higher social rank than Skahaz mo Kandaq. 

This is sure.  The green grace said as much.  If memory serves, the Lorags and the Kandaqs were feuding.  The Lorags had the upper hand.  Dany came along and the Kandaqs decided to support her. 

6 hours ago, zandru said:

Well, I'm with the big man on the nature of Ghiscari names - they're all "Harzoo" to me. However, this discussion is giving me new perspectives and possibly even a better appreciation.

I love those eastern chapters.  GRRM made the world bigger and brought in a very interesting culture.  The Ghiscari people has a middle eastern exotic air about them.

22 hours ago, Ye Shall Be As Gods said:

Evidently names are very important to GRRM's creative process.  Anyhoo, my favorites.

Male = Sandor

Female = Daenerys

And how did George come up with the name Targaryen!  That is just the coolest of names.

Good choices.

18 hours ago, Agents of Fortune said:

Here is my short list of favorite names.  I would love to know everyone's top five.

1. Leyton
  2. Lyanna
  3. Daenerys
  4. Rhaenyra
  5. Cersei

The Ghiscari are an awful people.  Hizdahr was about to play a nasty trick on Tyrion and Penny at the pit until Dany stopped him.  Tyrion deserves to know how close he was to death and who saved him. 

On 7/1/2017 at 2:10 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

I love the name Rhaenyra.  I feel the same way about the male Targaryen names.  Except for Daemon.  The R/P is one of my favorite historical Targaryens and his name is one of the better ones from the family. 

21 hours ago, Intel XEON said:

This is sure.  The green grace said as much.  If memory serves, the Lorags and the Kandaqs were feuding.  The Lorags had the upper hand.  Dany came along and the Kandaqs decided to support her. 

I love those eastern chapters.  GRRM made the world bigger and brought in a very interesting culture.  The Ghiscari people has a middle eastern exotic air about them.

Good choices.

Here is my short list of favorite names.  I would love to know everyone's top five.

1. Leyton
  2. Lyanna
  3. Daenerys
  4. Rhaenyra
  5. Cersei

1)  Victarion

2)  Cersei

3)  Xaro

4)  Daenerys

5)  Lynesse

7 hours ago, The Transporter said:

The Ghiscari are an awful people.  Hizdahr was about to play a nasty trick on Tyrion and Penny at the pit until Dany stopped him.  Tyrion deserves to know how close he was to death and who saved him. 

I agree. The Ghiscari are just awful.

Bleh. They make me want to vomit.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:43 PM, Ye Shall Be As Gods said:

And how did George come up with the name Targaryen!  That is just the coolest of names.

On a hunch, the herb tarragon is sometimes known in culinary circles as the 'dragon herb' or 'dragon's tail.' 

That's a fairly obscure allusion, but I bet that's where he got it from.

On 7/3/2017 at 3:47 PM, Lame Lothar Frey said:

I love the name Rhaenyra.  I feel the same way about the male Targaryen names.  Except for Daemon.  The R/P is one of my favorite historical Targaryens and his name is one of the better ones from the family. 

Daemon is a rather normal name.  It's not common but it is a real world name.  Daemon rocks!

On 7/4/2017 at 9:00 AM, Daena the Defiant said:

On a hunch, the herb tarragon is sometimes known in culinary circles as the 'dragon herb' or 'dragon's tail.' 

That's a fairly obscure allusion, but I bet that's where he got it from.

18 hours ago, Quoth the raven, said:

Awesome find.  I love the name. 

Yup.  It sure is.  Daena finding that connection and the name. 

On 7/1/2017 at 11:51 PM, Agents of Fortune said:

The Ghiscari do have cool names as long as you don't have to actually say it.  I have to say they irked me at first but I have grown to like those names.  Oznak zo Pahl.  Kraznys mo Naklos. 

Belwas sure picked the noblest of noblemen to dump on.  I like Strong Belwas.  Anyone else impressed with the fat guy's agility?

Archived