The Ghiscari Names

On 7/1/2017 at 4:45 PM, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Well noticed with "zo" and "mo". I've always just assumed that "zo" and "mo" were ways of saying "the" or "from", like "Hizdahr of Loraq" or "Hizdahr from Loraq". It never occured to me that it could mean how far up the social rank said House is.

:)

It just goes to show there's more going on.

• 3 months later...

I dig the Ghiscari names, especially after as many times as I've read the novels. At first it was ,quite frankly, a pain in the ass to read and remember who was who. 

Favorite names (not ranked)

-Cersei(I have a cat I named after her)

-Davos

-Victarion

-Tywin

-And I like almost all of the Targ names (male and female)

On 7/4/2017 at 9:00 AM, Daena the Defiant said:
On 7/1/2017 at 7:43 PM, Ye Shall Be As Gods said:

how did George come up with the name Targaryen!  That is just the coolest of names.

On a hunch, the herb tarragon is sometimes known in culinary circles as the 'dragon herb' or 'dragon's tail.' 

That's a fairly obscure allusion, but I bet that's where he got it from.

I love this!  :cheers:

The dragons as cooks -- they're certainly grillmasters of a kind, e.g. the way Harren and his sons were roasted in those finger- shaped towers reaching vainly for the sky like so many blood sausages!  But your herbal catch adds an additional dimension...

Tarragon is also in the wormwood family (out of which the green stimulant (formerly thought psychedelic) liquor 'absinthe' is made), a further symbolic allusion linking dragons and weirwoods.

• 3 months later...
On 7/1/2017 at 4:45 PM, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Well noticed with "zo" and "mo". I've always just assumed that "zo" and "mo" were ways of saying "the" or "from", like "Hizdahr of Loraq" or "Hizdahr from Loraq". It never occured to me that it could mean how far up the social rank said House is.

Hizdahr zo Loraq

Yezzan zo Qaggaz

Yurkhaz zo Yunzak

Oznak zo Pahl

Grazdan zo Gallare

The "zo" definitely ranks higher.  Nobles of impeccable lineage is safe to assume.

Top five, hard to narrow it down, but I'd go with:

• Ygritte
  • Tormund (especially the whole thing ...)
  • Irri
  • Roose (good name, regardless of the guy...)
  • Victarion

I'm with the Big Guy, too, when it comes to Ghiscari names, Harzoo, Wazoo, whatever ...:D

7 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

Top five, hard to narrow it down, but I'd go with:

• Ygritte
  • Tormund (especially the whole thing ...)
  • Irri
  • Roose (good name, regardless of the guy...)
  • Victarion

I'm with the Big Guy, too, when it comes to Ghiscari names, Harzoo, Wazoo, whatever ...:D

I'm sorry that you don't share my enthusiasm for the cultures and peoples of the East.

4 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

I'm sorry that you don't share my enthusiasm for the cultures and peoples of the East.

It's just the slavers I don't have much enthusiasm for, I find their society especially corrupt, decadent and brutal. But it was mostly flipping backwards and forwards between pages trying to get the names of characters straight that led me to take Belwas' view ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2018 at 8:46 PM, Rufus Snow said:

It's just the slavers I don't have much enthusiasm for, I find their society especially corrupt, decadent and brutal. But it was mostly flipping backwards and forwards between pages trying to get the names of characters straight that led me to take Belwas' view ;)

Different levels of corruptness.  In Asshai there is no corruptness because nothing is illegal.  The same somewhat applies north of the wall. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2017 at 10:04 PM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I'm suprised to see Cersei on here as much as it is. I'm not saying it's a bad name, it's beautiful. I just have a hard time disassociating the name Cersei with who Cersei is. I respect those of you who are able to separate the name with the character. 

My top 5:

Taena

Qyburn

Selwyn

Alyssane

Zahrina

Cersei is a lovely name.  One of the best girl names in all the novels.  It's not just Cersei Lannister.  There is Cersei Frey who share the name.  

I sometimes read chapters of the books out loud to my wife and the Ghiscari names always elicit some chuckles when I speak them.  Nothing gets a laugh like Kraznys mo Nakloz or Hizdahr zo Loraq.  Maybe it`s my pronunciation. 

2 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

I sometimes read chapters of the books out loud to my wife and the Ghiscari names always elicit some chuckles when I speak them.  Nothing gets a laugh like Kraznys mo Nakloz or Hizdahr zo Loraq.  Maybe it`s my pronunciation. 

Hell of a lot better than Yellow Dick.  

Archived