Turn - the final season

RedEyedGhost

I love having this and Orphan Black both on Saturday nights.  It's crazy that Saturday's are better than most other nights for quality television right now.  Both will be sorely missed next year.  

I know we used to have a thread for this show, but the search function sucks so much relative to its predecessor that I couldn't be bothered to look for it.  And the odds of it be unusable because it's been archived is extremely high.

Episode four

Bold move, Abraham, bold ass move.

I loved Simcoe being happy to join Arnold's regiment.  Did not see that coming!

Richard's death last week was really shocking to me.  I'm very happy Abraham fought to take him home though. 

I really miss Hewlett.  Burn Gorman was fantastic in that role (not that I can recall him ever being bad in a role).

I'm still watching the previous season.  I'm finding the fear for some of the characters and fear of some of the characters create so much tension that I can only view an episode at a time. Then I need at least a week to recover enough to view the next episode.

I hope Abraham redeems himself . . . I'm at the point where I'm not liking him very much.  He's been dishonorable to everyone in his life, and I'm not sure all of it is due to being a patriot, since he was disloyal to two women already in the first season.

Don't get me wrong -- I really like this series and appreciate it for all kinds of reasons.  I am impressed by the actors as well.

Hewlett!!! Next week's ep is gonna be insane.

Couple of questions: Does Simcoe know for certain that Abe is Culper/a spy? If I recall correctly, Hewlett knows for certain?

I saw Samuel Roukin interviewed. Wow! Nothing like Simcoe. Even the voice is so different.

I was struck from the first, that the actor giving his character that high-pitched voice was interpretive genius.  So very plausible, not showy, just -- somebody who is really good at his job.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a fantastic episode.  So much tension throughout, and not just this episode, but the entire season.  

I love the way they made Hewlett so completely jaded after his return home.

And the way the new infiltrator was freaking Abe out immediately was perfect.

I can't believe there's only four episodes left, it's going to be a helluva finish!

On 7/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, Zorral said:

I was struck from the first, that the actor giving his character that high-pitched voice was interpretive genius.  So very plausible, not showy, just -- somebody who is really good at his job.

He's great.  It'll be a shame if he doesn't get a ton of work based off of the strength of his performance here.

I may be an episode behind all of you, I just wanted to join in to say how much I've been enjoying this show.  I didn't realise it was the last season so I expect we'll be in for a real treat over the coming last episodes.

26 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm a fan of this show as well.

Simcoe, Abe, Arnold all very entertaining. Also like the work by the actress, I think her name is Jenny Lind? She's very solid. But Roukin (Simcoe) really stands out as a fantastic villian.

Agreed.... Simcoe is an amazingly hate-able villain ...

They're heading to Virginia... and if I'm not mistaken... thats where the war ends... I wonder f they'll hold true to history... and allow Arnold and Simcoe to live, and go on with their careers.

Another amazing episode tonight.  

Abe giving up finishing Simcoe to get intelligence back to Talmadge.  Mary setting up Ms. Barnes to give false info (why did it take that long

:P).  Caleb getting his mojo back with an excellent shot on Simcoe.  Townsend getting found out.

So much goodness!

Only two more weeks :(  Should be a helluva ride though!

On 7/30/2017 at 7:52 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I'm going to miss this show when its done... great episode

Reveal hidden contents

Simcoe busted up and coughing up blood was particularly gratifying

Indeed it was.

Spoiler

And Abe's not delivering the coup de grace was a very powerful moment, I thought. You could see and feel the character struggling with it.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a great finale.  Especially

Abe's letter to Thomas.  Terribly sad though.  Hewlett and Simcoe were great as usual.  Abe's and Townsend's talk was fantastic.

Need time to let it all process, but damn if I don't want to start it over from the beginning again.

I need to binge this from season 2 on. I liked the setting and most of the cast in season 1, it just wasn't good enough to find the time amongst everything else to watch more. A similar thing happened with "hell on wheels".

8 hours ago, red snow said:

I need to binge this from season 2 on. I liked the setting and most of the cast in season 1, it just wasn't good enough to find the time amongst everything else to watch more. A similar thing happened with "hell on wheels".

Its quality really ramps up in season 3 & 4.  You're in for a treat.

• 1 month later...

The one thing that I felt was missing was Ben's romance, c'mon they exploit adultery almost all through out the series, but at the very end just comment on Ben's marriage (to come)? ! He was by far the best character (imo) on this show, and they rip us off work that little sidenote? 

As side from the one time where he was involved for one episode with that woman, and this last season they were teasing us with Anna, at this point I was rooting for them, just to get him someone, thinking they were gonna kill off her husband....

Aside from all that I did enjoy most of the show

4 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

The one thing that I felt was missing was Ben's romance, c'mon they exploit adultery almost all through out the series, but at the very end just comment on Ben's marriage (to come)? ! He was by far the best character (imo) on this show, and they rip us off work that little sidenote? 

As side from the one time where he was involved for one episode with that woman, and this last season they were teasing us with Anna, at this point I was rooting for them, just to get him someone, thinking they were gonna kill off her husband....

Aside from all that I did enjoy most of the show

Nah, that was Simcoe :) Ben was a great character.

I was a big fan of Ben's arc with Sarah Livingston, showing the divide among the population between loyalty and independence.

I'll err on the side of caution with spoiler tags . . .

Spoiler

I wasn't a huge fan of Anna's reconciliation with Selah, but understood it as symbolic of the larger reconciliation and acceptance following the war, trying to return to normalcy/how things were. I preferred Abe and Mary's slow bonding throughout all of the events of the war. Those events strengthening a weak relationship. The final season's tease of a Ben/Anna relationship possibility always felt a bit shallow to me.

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

Nah, that was Simcoe :) Ben was a great character.

Hide contents

I hated Simcoe :angry: but that just goes to show what a great actor he was, 

My Oops on the spoiler tags, I didn't even realize that I might be spoiling, sorry. But thanks for the reminder.

Spoiler

I also appreciated that they slowly brought Abe and Mary back together again, ( I think you are spot on with the symbolic)

I still feel they went way out on actual facts with the Abe and Anna romance, but hey sometimes you need a story! 

I read Washington's spies so I feel they took great liberties with the characters, but all for the viewers, lol

As for the tease of Ben and Anna still haven't figured out why they would have put it in if they wouldn't follow up on it. But I agree it was shallow

Archived