Dunk and Egg

PrinceHenryris

I was just re-reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and afterword, GRRM promised us more stories about the giant and the bald kid.

I don't see how many stories are possible.

Maybe Dunk and Egg got out of Ashford without everyone knowing who they were, but that's questionable since Prince Baelor and The Laughing Storm fought for Dunk.

Then Lady Webber, who later marries a Lannister learns Egg's identity.

At the very least Lords Frey and Butterwell learn about Egg.  

So, how much longer can a giant and a bald boy travel around the seven kingdoms incognito?

Maybe they can take a trip North, but I don't see them traveling as a hedge knight and squire much after that.

1 hour ago, PrinceHenryris said:

I was just re-reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and afterword, GRRM promised us more stories about the giant and the bald kid.

Maybe Dunk and Egg got out of Ashford without everyone knowing who they were, but that's questionable since Prince Baelor and The Laughing Storm fought for Dunk.

So, how much longer can a giant and a bald boy travel around the seven kingdoms incognito?

Maybe they can take a trip North, but I don't see them traveling as a hedge knight and squire much after that.

They don't have to remain incognito and they didn't. The World Book says Aegon V was known as half a peasant. Why do you think is that?

It sounds like the Dunk and Egg books are intended to cover their entire lives, all the way up until Summerhall. It would explain why the World Book was so vague about events that occurred while Egg was alive, since GRRM likely doesn't want to give away too much of the plot for future novellas.

2 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Iirc Martin said there'll be 9 D&E novellas. Or was it 12? I think 9 but I could be misremembering. And we know for a fact one of those - the next one - is set in the North when they join the Starks who were then fighting the ironborn. 

As to how can Dunk and Egg travel incognito, I'd say fairly easily... it's a big continent, and there's no TV or internet! :D

ETA: and what @Wolf of The Wall said and I'd forgotten about Egg being known as half a peasant. 

“Maekar’s third son, Aemon, was a bookish boy who had been sent to the Citadel in his youth and emerged as a sworn and chained maester. Youngest of the king’s sons was Prince Aegon, who had served as squire to a hedge knight—the same hedge knight in whose defense Baelor Breakspear died—whilst a boy, and earned the name “Egg.” “Daeron is a jape and Aerion is a fright, but Aegon is more than half a peasant” one court wit was heard to remark.”

On 7/2/2017 at 2:34 AM, PrinceHenryris said:

The tales are supposed to end with the tragedy of summer hall, so there's plenty to work with. Aegons brothers will all die, the  great spring sickness will decimate the seven kingdoms, he will be crowned, he will appoint Dunk as commander of the Kings Guard, he will have sons and a daughter, he will betroth them and they will all break those betrothals, and all of this before the tragedy at summer hall. So there's plenty to work with, lots of stories. They won't be roaming westeros the entire time. Isn't there hype that the very next book in the series will be about the she wolves of winterfell? that will be cool, I bet it will tie in with some visions bran sees through the wierwood in the godswood. 

I'm hoping Dunk and Egg travel to each of the seven kingdoms. GRRM left himself room to write about Dorne and Oldtown in between The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword, should he choose to, and we know they're going north at some point. Summerhall is in the Stormlands, so they'll end up there eventually. That leaves the Vale, the Westerlands, and the Iron Islands. I wouldn't put it past GRRM to (hopefully) have Dunk and Egg visit Casterly Rock, as well having them face off against the Mountain Clans at some point. Both the World Book and the main series are very vague about what went down with Dagon, so we may see Dunk and Egg be among the forces that eventually take on the Ironborn. 

I'm not as excited about Essos, but I'm sure those stories will still be a lot of fun to read. 

1 hour ago, The Knight of Flours said:

I can see them travelling to Winterfell and the Wall, voyaging over to Essos for an adventure or two, then maybe a mission in the Vale, before they even think about returning to the South.

a little while ago i saw someone propose the idea that there could be a story where dunk and egg go to Ashaii, to see if they can find some dragon eggs, where they end up caught in the middle of a lovecraftian horror adventure there

28 minutes ago, Fishb20 said:

a little while ago i saw someone propose the idea that there could be a story where dunk and egg go to Ashaii, to see if they can find some dragon eggs, where they end up caught in the middle of a lovecraftian horror adventure there

I haven't hear that before but that could be very cool. 

ETA: and one of Bran's visions in ADwD is from their time up north and features Dunk, but imo thats the only one since the visions go backwards in time chronologically.

Ya a story up north for sure. But whos to say we can't get one when they are older? Like when they are king and kingsguard. When Dunk faces off against the Laughing Storm in a 1v1 duel. Or when their stories end with the terrible tragedy at Summerhall?

36 minutes ago, Nozlym said:

Ya a story up north for sure. But whos to say we can't get one when they are older? Like when they are king and kingsguard. When Dunk faces off against the Laughing Storm in a 1v1 duel. Or when when their stories end with the terrible tragedy at Summerhall?

Well, we know the last novella will be about the tragedy at Summerhall. 

I probably didn't explain my point well enough in my original post.

What I was asking is how much longer can "Dunk and Egg" travel around the Seven Kingdoms as a giant hedge knight and his bald squire?

At some point, enough of the kingdom will know about them that they can't pretend anymore.

I can see a Northern adventure and possibly a trip to Essos, but after that I think the stories will have to change in tone from "Dunk and Egg" to something like "Ser Duncan and The Prince".

I look forward to the stories, but  wonder how they will change.

I also want to find out how Dunk becomes both Hodor and Brienne's ancestor. 

Archived