NBA 2017: Fleecing the East

Relic

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Well, I know for a fact (or at least as close to a fact as is possible for something like this) that Chicago refused to send Butler to Cleveland.  We also know that Indy's GM took an objectively worse deal to avoid sending George to team up with LeBron.  I also am fairly certain that the main reason Ainge has hesitated to make any splashy deals is because he wants to wait out LeBron, so there's another team that, while they're not rebuilding, has hesitated to make win now moves almost entirely due to LeBron's dominance.  LeBron broke the Hawks as well.  

So I think LeBron is certainly more responsible for this than Durant.  Teams in the East aren't trying to compete against the Warriors, after all.  They first have to get through the Cavs, and none of them have been able to and several have either given up or put contending on hold.

Ainge tried to make a splashy deal for George, as I understand it, but was held up by the Pacer's GM not wanting to deal him in conference.

I thought the Butler to the Cavs deal was supposedly nixed by the Cavs GM essentially finding out during negotiations that he wasn't going to be renewed.

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Wolves need shooting.  In their line-up and off the bench. They currently don't have much of it,  and that severely lowers their potential to compete in the 2018 playoffs. Shame they didn't get JJ. 

Agreed. And what's interesting is the 76ers were the ones who did. Another overwhelmingly talented, young team that needed a shooter.  It's weird to say about a team who none of its three best players have played even a half season in the NBA, but they should make the playoffs, right?

Hawks, Bulls and Pacers all barely made the playoffs in 2017 and each lost its best player. None should be back in 2018 but who fills the spots? Feel confident Miami gets one, but who else? Hornets? Pistons? Knicks? Those three are actually the most realistic contenders for spots, amazingly. And I'd take the 76ers' chances over them just betting on sheer talent which they have plenty of even if Embiid doesn't stay healthy. 

It really feels like there will be a 36 win playoff team in the East this year and adding Fultz, Simmons and Redick to a 29 win 76ers team should more than be enough, no? 

51 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Agreed. And what's interesting is the 76ers were the ones who did. Another overwhelmingly talented, young team that needed a shooter.  It's weird to say about a team who none of its three best players have played even a half season in the NBA, but they should make the playoffs, right?

Hawks, Bulls and Pacers all barely made the playoffs in 2017 and each lost its best player. None should be back in 2018 but who fills the spots? Feel confident Miami gets one, but who else? Hornets? Pistons? Knicks? Those three are actually the most realistic contenders for spots, amazingly. And I'd take the 76ers' chances over them just betting on sheer talent which they have plenty of even if Embiid doesn't stay healthy. 

It really feels like there will be a 36 win playoff team in the East this year and adding Fultz, Simmons and Redick to a 29 win 76ers team should more than be enough, no? 

Yeah, if Embiid stays healthy they have no excuses. Time to cash in those Hinkie chips.

13 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

How crazy would it be if Durant jumped ship? I know this isn't likely to happen, but how insane would that be. Say back to OKC or to Houston, or even Boston or Washington...

He just signed for 9mil less than the max. He ain't jumping ship, he's making repairs and giving the Skipper money to upgrade with. Dude won, and he likes it...A LOT.

ETA: though what's 9 mil when he has a 200 mil shoe deal? Peanuts, that's what it is.

5 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

He just signed for 9mil less than the max. He ain't jumping ship, he's making repairs and giving the Skipper money to upgrade with. Dude won, and he likes it...A LOT.

Huh. Just saw that. Crazy small contract, given what others have signed for. He's making about 4 million more than JJ Redick. :huh:

2 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

But like I said, he's got a 200 mil shoe deal, what's 9 mil? Though, eventually they'll have to pony up for him.

True. I just heard today that Klay Thompson has an 80 million dollar shoe deal. I guess when you can get that kind of scratch off the court, you may as well just try to collect rings, even at a discount.

14 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Does Durants new deal end when Klays and Draymonds are up?  If so, I'd say the Warriors Dynasty now has an end date.

You don't think that the Finals MVP and one of the best basketball players on Earth taking less money will convince Draymond and Thompson to do the same? Maybe it won't, but I think these guys are in it together for the long haul.

No, I don't. Curry didn't take less money and they have even less reason to.  They aren't getting the shoe deals Curry and Durant are.  They will get paid max money somewhere else.

16 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

No, I don't. Curry didn't take less money and they have even less reason to.  They aren't getting the shoe deals Curry and Durant are.  They will get paid max money somewhere else.

Very well possible. @Manhole Eunuchsbane said Thompson gets 80 mil for his shoe contract. It seems, to me, that with increases to the salary cap to come, there will be plenty of money to throw around. But, they're only human. They could take the money and run, sure.

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Very well possible. @Manhole Eunuchsbane said Thompson gets 80 mil for his shoe contract. It seems, to me, that with increases to the salary cap to come, there will be plenty of money to throw around. But, they're only human. They could take the money and run, sure.

Those salary cap increases may not come though, or at least not to the extent expected. The cap for the upcoming season did jump to $99 million, but that's down from the last projection the league made in April, which was for $101 million; and way down from earlier projections of $107 million or more. The projections for future seasons haven't been updated since this latest downward revision, but they were already not nearly as large as the upcoming season's projected cap or certainly what's happened in the past few seasons; and its likely they are now even smaller.

Bottom line, the Warriors, and everyone else, are going to have less money in the next few years than they thought they'd have to carry out their plans.

Also, every player in every pro sport takes the money, unless they are a longtime veteran chasing their first ring, have a spouse even richer than they are, or have post-playing career plans with the team. Or are fleeing a small market team because the endorsement increases will cover any loss in salary.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

Also, every player in every pro sport takes the money, unless they are a longtime veteran chasing their first ring, have a spouse even richer than they are, or have post-playing career plans with the team. Or are fleeing a small market team because the endorsement increases will cover any loss in salary.

KD didn't, Iguadola didnt. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

KD didn't, Iguadola didnt. 

KD did the 1+1 deal, allowing him the maximum flexibility possible to react to whatever happens. He'll almost certainly opt after the season and get his money then, either with the Warriors or someone else. Also, as a generational talent, he's chasing more than one ring.

And Iguadola did take the money. The Warriors are giving him $15+ million per season, which is more than what the Rockets or Spurs were offering, and more than the Warriors originally offered, which was was closer to $10 million per season.

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

There goes my dream of a Kristaps/Melo/Durant triumvirate so that Relic finally has something to cheer for. ;)

I appreciate the sentiment but as a Knick fan I'm conditioned to view the future as futile and hopeless. If we got Durant he'd break his leg during preseason. It is known. 

I still don't understand shoe deals.  Guys like Phil Knight and his equivalent at UA, Reebok, Addidas, and such are smarter than I pretend to be; but how are they profitable for the shoe company?

Does an $80 million endorsement from Klay really bring in more than $80m in sales directly?

And this question is coming from a guy who bought the newest Air Jordans every year from 1990-1994.  (My favorites were the Olympic version that had the number nine on the back.)  So I fully understand the concept, but you know what no one in my middle school was running out to buy?  The newest Scottie Pippins.

Archived