NBA 2017: Fleecing the East

Relic

Manhole,

I still can't quote.  Fucking website.  Anyways there are no rules against taking less money than what you are worth but it will be a problem for the union in CBA talks because the owners can point to that and say the players don't deserve as much money bla bla.  It's basically one thing for old soon to be retired players to take a pay cut to chase a ring, it's quite another when the second best player in the league does it so that his team can have a competitive advantage.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sure, but sustainable, right?

Maybe. Baseball is the sport best set up to sustain stars leaving a team because star players are worth the least of any sport in baseball.

8 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Manhole,

I still can't quote.  Fucking website.  Anyways there are no rules against taking less money than what you are worth but it will be a problem for the union in CBA talks because the owners can point to that and say the players don't deserve as much money bla bla.  It's basically one thing for old soon to be retired players to take a pay cut to chase a ring, it's quite another when the second best player in the league does it so that his team can have a competitive advantage.

Yeah, I can understand that argument from the union's point of view. I'm just wondering what would happen if someone like say LeBron took this to an extreme in order to put together an insane superteam. Like say he took a dollar for one season with the understanding that ownership would spend that money on talent. That could be interesting.

Well LeBron won't cause he wants to be a billionaire and bless him for it. That is certainly the way it could be going though and the Union if not the League will put a stop to it.

Sperry I'm not sure why you think the NFL has some sort of checks and balances on stars leaving teams in free agency.  It doesn't..  Stars don't leave teams primarily because its hard to change systems in the NFL particularly for QB's.  It isn't like the NBA where every team runs essentially the same playbook.

17 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I can understand that argument from the union's point of view. I'm just wondering what would happen if someone like say LeBron took this to an extreme in order to put together an insane superteam. Like say he took a dollar for one season with the understanding that ownership would spend that money on talent. That could be interesting.

It wouldn't be a dollar.  The cheapest he could sign for is the veteran minimum.  I have no idea what that is at this point.  I think it used to be between one and two million.  I also don't think minimum salaries count against your cap (although they do factor into the luxury tax), but I could be wrong about that.

33 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Well LeBron won't cause he wants to be a billionaire and bless him for it. That is certainly the way it could be going though and the Union if not the League will put a stop to it.

Sperry I'm not sure why you think the NFL has some sort of checks and balances on stars leaving teams in free agency.  It doesn't..  Stars don't leave teams primarily because its hard to change systems in the NFL particularly for QB's.  It isn't like the NBA where every team runs essentially the same playbook.

Umm, the franchise tag is a VERY real thing. You have to go through two seasons under the franchise tag before you can hit UFA. It has nothing to do with systems.

And, while I see @sperry argument and understand it, I can't see how anyone can mad at what KD did. In an age where all you ever hear, including on this board, is, "Its all about the money baby!". KD made a sacrifice to his net worth to keep this team together. And, I imagine, in hopes that Dray and Thompson do too, in two years. I ain't hating. Its one instant I will hold a multi-millionaire up on a pedestal. His concern is winning, and the proof is right there for everyone to get pissed about. We can't hate both ways.

2 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

And, while I see @sperry argument and understand it, I can't see how anyone can mad at what KD did. In an age where all you ever hear, including on this board, is, "Its all about the money baby!". KD made a sacrifice to his net worth to keep this team together. And, I imagine, in hopes that Dray and Thompson do too, in two years. I ain't hating. Its one instant I will hold a multi-millionaire up on a pedestal. His concern is winning, and the proof is right there for everyone to get posses about. We can't hate both ways.

It's that he simply shouldn't be allowed to do it. The whole point of a salary cap is that to have a player of KD's caliber on your team, it has to substantially limit what you can do with the rest of your roster.

Sperry,

The Franchise tag is that the player is guaranteed the average of the top 3 players at his position league wide under a 1 year contract.  Each team can franchise 1 and only one player per year but cannot franchise a specific player more than twice.  It's also pretty much an enslavement policy as those players who are franchised almost always leave immediately afterwards. (This is beside the point that franchised players can and do sign elsewhere regardless and it turns into a draft pick for the former team.  Essentially a sign and trade in NBA terms) 

Hayward chooses the Celtics. Heat hung out to dry, missed opportunity for them.

And suddenly the Celtics have two very nice shooters in Tatum and Hayward. Would they play both in the starting line-up I wonder?

Maybe they do Thomas-Bradley- Hayward-Crowder- Horford.

The argument being made today on ESPN radio is that KD taking less really didn't allow them to sign other players, it just saved the owners some luxury tax dollars. :dunno: 

Another discussion on Hayward is that he can likely be an all star starter in the East next year instead of being stuck behind a log jam in the West.

15 hours ago, sperry said:

Not a great example, considering the MLB is a distant third in terms of popularity.

By basically every metric, MLB is considerably more popular than the NBA. Some of the numbers aren't a great comparison because MLB simply has more games than the NBA, but if MLB was that much less popular, they wouldn't get such a big boost from having the extra games (e.g. NBA had $6 billion in revenue last season, MLB had $10 billion).

Also, the Harris poll, which asks fans about popularity, has never found basketball more popular than baseball. In fact, baseball is still more popular than pro basketball and college basketball combined. http://www.theharrispoll.com/sports/Americas_Fav_Sport_2016.html

I used to like baseball more than I do now, but let's not pretend that its a dying sport just because its less visible online than basketball is.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Hayward chooses the Celtics. Heat hung out to dry, missed opportunity for them.

And suddenly the Celtics have two very nice shooters in Tatum and Hayward. Would they play both in the starting line-up I wonder?

Maybe they do Thomas-Bradley- Hayward-Crowder- Horford.

Hayward to me is like a poor man's Durant in that he takes nothing off the table, is pretty good at everything, and should fit in with the Celtics (or really any team) with ease. Absolute no brainer for them in a way that ball dominant guys like Butler/George wouldn't be. Should help take some of the scoring load off IT and help perimeter defense against larger wings. In my view, turns the Celtics offseason around from kinda a failure to a definite success. If Tatum is as good as Danny Ainge seems to think he is, could see them threatening Cleveland. 

But the Wizards signed Mike Scott, Jodie Meeks and will probably bring back a way overpaid Otto Porter (who signed a max offer sheet from the Nets - apparently he's the darling of all the worst teams in the NBA) while we lose the Polish Hammer so glad to see we're keeping pace. 

Archived