NBA 2017: Fleecing the East

Relic

It's a shame the Irving trade is going to be such a long drawn out process.

From the looks of it, the Cavs are projecting zero urgency when it comes to a trade, and it also seems as if they're getting zero good offers. Phoenix isn't even willing to throw in Josh Jackson alongside Bledsoe, after already saying no to Booker and Bledsoe. They'd love to straight up trade Bledsoe for Irving yeah, and throw in a pick. That's not happening.

Maybe the Cavs are just taking it slow as well because they're hoping that if this goes on for months, as it might, then there might be reconciliation..

Edit: Just saw the two LeBron videos linked to above. Maybe not reconcilation after all.

Briian, what's your group of esteemed insiders have to say on all of this?

10 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Briian, what's your group of esteemed insiders have to say on all of this?

It sounds like the Cavs have gotten a lot of offers, some better than what Phoenix is currently offering.  However, they're committed to taking it slow and waiting for the right deal.  

I still think Phoenix will probably end up being the team they deal with, and I think Phoenix will eventually surrender Jackson.  Right now I think they're kind of where the Cavs were three years ago when they were trying to flip Waiters and Bennett for Love.  Ultimately, that wasn't enough and they had to sub in Wiggins for Waiters.  I think that's where Phoenix is at.  And it's worth noting that Irving is a much more valuable asset right now than Love was three years ago.  He's got two years left on his deal to Love's one and was the second best player in a winning Finals series a year ago.

Supposedly at least a dozen teams have contacted the Cavs, though, and apparently several of them are better than what the Suns are currently offering.  If they include Jackson, though, I think that wins it for them.

I still don't see why Cleveland trades Kyrie. They have no incentive to unless they are offered a package that is flat out better than him. Which recent trades of stars has shown, there's about a zero percent chance that happens.

They know LeBron is gone in the off-season. They run it back this year and then can deal Love and Kyrie next offseason.

4 hours ago, sperry said:

I still don't see why Cleveland trades Kyrie. They have no incentive to unless they are offered a package that is flat out better than him. Which recent trades of stars has shown, there's about a zero percent chance that happens.

They know LeBron is gone in the off-season. They run it back this year and then can deal Love and Kyrie next offseason.

Kyrie loses value over time.  Right now he's still got two years left on his deal.  Next summer he'll be less valuable because he'll only be one year away from free agency (where he could leave whatever team trades for him) and a massive payday.  

I also don't think it's a given that LeBron is leaving.  Most people connected to LeBron's camp have been under the impression that, when he came back to Cleveland, he planned to retire there.  Maybe that plan has changed, but it's just really, really hard for me to see LeBron going to the Western Conference and joining the same division as the Warriors.  I just don't see how that benefits him at all.

Also, if Kyrie knew LeBron was leaving in a year, you'd think he'd just wait it out, cash in on another free Finals trip, and then become the man in 2018.  He'd make a shitload more money by staying in Cleveland, as being traded would forfeit his claim to the designated player contract.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

What happened?

Equally confused.

However, with the recent news that Bagley is reclassifying to 2017 to play at Duke this year... there is now a talent sufficient enough to warrant tanking the year!  Let the suckitude begin!!!!

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

What happened?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Equally confused.

However, with the recent news that Bagley is reclassifying to 2017 to play at Duke this year... there is now a talent sufficient enough to warrant tanking the year!  Let the suckitude begin!!!!

It's being reported that the Cavs are handling the Kyrie situation with the expectations of LeBron leaving. I think that's going to turn in to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The reporting is that the Cavs are unsure of whether or not he'll extend, and are therefore trying to get as good a haul as possible, with a solid youngster in it as well. That's not the same as them handling it as having the expectation that he leaves. LeBron apparently doesn't know what he'll do, and so no one does.

Not sure how reliable this supposed insider is, but this is starting to seem like a "where there's this much smoke" sort of a situation. That said, the NY Post is shit, so not sure how seriously this should be taken...

http://nypost.com/2017/08/16/lebron-james-is-a-goner-thanks-to-dan-gilbert/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

On 8/16/2017 at 9:41 PM, Rhom said:

Equally confused.

It'll be interesting which of Bagley or Michael Porter Jr ends up as the no.1 pick.

They both seem like mega talents.

11 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

It'll be interesting which of Bagley or Michael Porter Jr ends up as the no.1 pick.

They both seem like mega talents.

They definitely are.  I tend to lean Bagley, but do think the late reclassification could affect his performance on the court.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting hypothetical: Which happens first, the Warriors announce that they won't visit the White House or the Trump Administration announces they aren't going to invite them? 

KD beat them both to the punch.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/17/kevin-durant-on-white-house-visit-with-donald-trump-nah-i-wont-do-that/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting hypothetical: Which happens first, the Warriors announce that they won't visit the White House or the Trump Administration announces they aren't going to invite them? 

The invitation hasn't been issued precisely because Trump knows they'll turn it down. Imagine the rage he'd have from an official snub!

Archived