NBA 2017: Fleecing the East

Relic

Wow, what a trade. I really think the Celtics have horribly mismanaged their pile of assets.  They traded IT, Jae Crowder, and the Brooklyn pick next year for Kyrie. I don't like that at all for Boston. And I think Cleveland got better this year AND got a top 3 pick in next year's lottery.

Not a fan of Thomas by any means, but that pick is a great asset.

Still can't believe that Ainge refused to open up the war chest for George and Butler but then went all in on Kyrie.  He could have had Kyrie and Butler if he had been willing to budge a bit more in the previous trade talks with Chicago.  

13 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Seems pretty fair, honestly. I don't see how this makes the Cavs better next season though. I think the Celts likely jump them, or at the very least get a lot closer. Could be a really good ECF matchup.

Cleveland will smash Boston this year. LeBron, IT, Kevin Love, Crowder, and Thompson is much better than anything Boston can throw out there, and much better than their lineup last year. . Boston is setting up for the future, and not having to pay IT a big long-term deal.

This seems, to me to be a pretty good trade for Cleveland and not a bad one at all for Boston. Kyrie could be enough to make a real series with the Cavs. Things certainly just got interesting in the East, no doubt about it. I wonder if that Brooklyn pick can somehow be used to get Cavs another player and add to their chance of keeping Lebron? 

I'm blown away this deal happened to begin with. Pretty sure this is the only time two conference finalist in the same conference have swapped all stars let alone players of this magnitude. You generally don't trade with the team in your backyard that's the biggest threat to you.

And I'm even more blown away the Celtics threw in the Nets pick. I.T. is like 90% of Kyrie by himself (though granted less useful against elite teams). Crowder's a useful piece. Wouldn't the additional pick they acquired by trading down to #3 have sufficed? Cleveland should have been the desperate one, not Boston. 

Was waiting to when and how the Celtics would cash out on all their big time assets and push their chips to the center of the table and truly try to contend. Looks like that moment has arrived. I guess it's Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, Tatum (or Morris), Horford. That's a very good team, maybe one that even beats this new Cleveland team, but it isn't a title team. It's also 4 new starters from last year's ECF team. And who knows how they will play together.

Very, very surprised. 

30 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Good trade for Cleveland as well, the Nets pick gives them insurance for Lebron's inevitable 2018 departure. 

The consensus is that if LeBron leaves, it'll be for L.A.. So what does L.A. have to offer, more so then staying pat in Cleveland? I understand they have a ton of cap room next year, but what guarantees that any significant pieces will follow him to make the Lakers good enough to even come out of the West? I just don't buy it. I don't see him going anywhere, and I could well be wrong, it just doesn't make sense basketball wise, to me. In the East, he has a very, very good chance at reaching the Finals as long as he keeps playing at this level or near. Love will benefit from Kyrie leaving, his production could go up. IT is about as good offensively your gonna get in return for Kyrie. The Nets pick could yield Baggsley (sp?) or Porter Jr.. Or, trade for a few more pieces. 

I agree with you Jordan.  I don't believe any of the reports about Lebron heading to the Lakers.  It does not make sense for the best player in the league who has dominated the Eastern Conference for almost a decade to leave when it could be at an all-time low.  And we all know Lebron prefers the easy way to the Finals.

However, I do not think he will be in Cleveland in 2018.  Rich Paul and Nike will continue leaking stories about Gilbert creating a rift.  They'll portray James as a victim who has no choice in leaving.  My money is on Lebron returning to South Beach.

Seems about right for Kyrie, honestly. I would have preferred Ainge traded the LA pick next year, but I imagine Cleveland held out for the Brooklyn pick. Guess I just have to hope DeAngelo Russell is good, the Nets improve, and the Lakers stumble.

Will be interesting to see how the Celtics come together. Horford is the only returning starter.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Seems about right for Kyrie, honestly. I would have preferred Ainge traded the LA pick next year, but I imagine Cleveland held out for the Brooklyn pick. Guess I just have to hope DeAngelo Russell is good, the Nets improve, and the Lakers stumble.

Will be interesting to see how the Celtics come together. Horford is the only returning starter.

The Lakers don't have to stumble, they're terrible and in arguably the best division in the league.. The Celts just have to have a bit of luck as far as the lottery balls go. Ball isn't getting the Lakers out of the bottom five.

So Boston just gave up next year?  I don't see how they think they are going to beat an angry motivated LeBron who wants to throttle KI?  Then throw in IT likely being pissy  and you gave up what could be the #1pick next year?

Also why the fuck would Kyrie stay in Boston past his contract?

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

So Boston just gave up next year?  I don't see how they think they are going to beat an angry motivated LeBron who wants to throttle KI?  Then throw in IT likely being pissy  and you gave up what could be the #1pick next year?

Also why the fuck would Kyrie stay in Boston past his contract?

If he's to believed, Irving was sick of the double standard that LeBron consistently abused. Like the Cavs had a rule of no friends or family on the team plane, yet LeBron would routinely have his entourage  with him. Not sure if there's any validity to this or not, but I could see how that could be pretty grating. 

To the first bit, I think this makes the Celts the better team right now if you put aside possible chemistry issues. I feel like they're kind of dodging a bullet with IT in that I don't think he's going to earn a max deal long term, but you're going to have to pay him max. The pick is a bit puzzling because as others have noted, the Cavs backs were against the wall. I think the Celts probably overpaid given the circumstances, but this does seem like a Win-Win overall, if Kyrie re-signs with the Celts. 

Archived