NBA 2017: Fleecing the East

Relic

I love that the Knicks have gone to the, "You know what, we'll just keep him!" strategy even though everyone knows that Carmelo is going to be gone at the latest by the trade deadline.  Zero chance he finishes the season in New York.

31 minutes ago, briantw said:

I love that the Knicks have gone to the, "You know what, we'll just keep him!" strategy even though everyone knows that Carmelo is going to be gone at the latest by the trade deadline.  Zero chance he finishes the season in New York.

The problem is the teams he wants to go to have nothing to offer, and really there aren't a ton of teams in contention that he makes better. Funnily enough, the team he's best suited to be dealt to is..........Denver. They could use a scoring wing and they have a ton of assets to trade if they so choose. 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The problem is the teams he wants to go to have nothing to offer, and really there aren't a ton of teams in contention that he makes better. Funnily enough, the team he's best suited to be dealt to is..........Denver. They could use a scoring wing and they have a ton of assets to trade if they so choose. 

I mean, we're talking about a 33 year old, past his prime former star on a shitty two-year deal.  He shouldn't be worth much of anything.  If the Knicks got back expiring contracts alone, they should thank their lucky stars and move on.  They need to tank, and Melo is a player who won't help them with that.

36 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Why? Everyone knows they're going to max out Wiggins and Towns. All the contracts on the roster are designed to accommodate this. 

23 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The Cavs have done little to get better, then again, there's not much they could've done. But they'll steamroll through the East again, so there's that.

We think of these past Finals as a GS blowout... and mostly rightly so.

But if not for an epic fourth quarter collapse in game three, the Cavs dominated games three and four and were on a conceivable path to a repeat comeback.

But, they did collapse and weren't competitive in the three games played out west so it feels like they are further away than they really are.  As you say, they will steamroll the East and will get to take a punchers chance against the Warriors again.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

We think of these past Finals as a GS blowout... and mostly rightly so.

But if not for an epic fourth quarter collapse in game three, the Cavs dominated games three and four and were on a conceivable path to a repeat comeback.

But, they did collapse and weren't competitive in the three games played out west so it feels like they are further away than they really are.  As you say, they will steamroll the East and will get to take a punchers chance against the Warriors again.

But even this is the kind of woulda shoulda that doesn't make sense.  You cannot assume game 4 would go the way it did if the Cavs won game 3.  I personally think that GSW looked lackadaisical in Game 4 with a 3-0 lead, and would have been sharper if it had only been 2-1.  You could also conversely argue that if the Cavs won Game 3, they would have had momentum in game 4, and still won, perhaps leading to them playing better in game 5 and taking control of the series.  It is impossible to know, all we know is that GSW won the series 4-1, and of their four wins, only game 3 was particularly close.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But even this is the kind of woulda shoulda that doesn't make sense.  You cannot assume game 4 would go the way it did if the Cavs won game 3.  I personally think that GSW looked lackadaisical in Game 4 with a 3-0 lead, and would have been sharper if it had only been 2-1.  You could also conversely argue that if the Cavs won Game 3, they would have had momentum in game 4, and still won, perhaps leading to them playing better in game 5 and taking control of the series.  It is impossible to know, all we know is that GSW won the series 4-1, and of their four wins, only game 3 was particularly close.

On top of that, the Cavs blew that Game 3. That was a heartbreaking loss that just kind of underlined the fact that this wasn't going to be a competitive series. Hats off to them for their performance and effort in Game 4, but that was the outlier. I don't believe they have a puncher's chance against Golden State outside of injury or Day-Day losing his shit. That's their only reasonable hope. And you can make a reasonable argument that the Warrior's may have actually improved this offseason.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And you can make a reasonable argument that the Warrior's may have actually improved this offseason.

I think that Warriors will definitely be stronger in 2018 than this year.  Experience in the pressure cooker of the Finals matters.  The Warriors core is guys who are still entering their prime.  The only guys on the roster who are aging out of effectiveness are Iguodala and Livingston, and that is more than made up for by Lebron being a year older.  As it stands now, if we get Cavs-Warriors 4 in 2018, I expect we'll see Warriors in 5 once again.  But a sweep is definitely on the table. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not a bad deal IMO. They were going to max him no matter what, and it's good to get it done early, especially if there's another cap jump. 

It's just tough to be paying 30% of the cap to your third best player when that guy isn't a legit superstar. He has to make a huge defensive leap to justify that contract. Hopefully Thibs can get through to him.

Just now, sperry said:

It's just tough to be paying 30% of the cap to your third best player when that guy isn't a legit superstar. He has to make a huge defensive leap to justify that contract. Hopefully Thibs can get through to him.

Hopefully. Also, he's still on the cheap for two more years. 

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hopefully. Also, he's still on the cheap for two more years. 

How is he on a 5 year deal?  I thought all rookies were on  4 year deals?

Okay, I took a look. It is a 4 year deal, they've only got him for 1 more year on the cheap.

Archived