Three-eyed crow before Bloodraven

16 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

It's good to know you're so interested in the larger story.   But this is the book forum.   Show questions belong in the show forum.  They are not the same.  

I have edited post before you said it but  I can't change topic's name. Difference in name doesn't change anything. 

Just now, Brandon Baratheon said:

I have edited post before you said it but  I can't change topic's name. Difference in name doesn't change anything. 

You can edit the thread title, just edit the op and you'll see the option to do it. And I'm gonna ask again, what do you mean in your OP?

2 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Who taught Bloodraven to become green seer (three-eyed crow)?

Ah gotcha. We don't have that info. All we know is that when Aegon V ascended the IT he sent Bloodraven to the Wall. Eventually he became LC, a position he held for 13 years, until one day he pulled a Benjen and vanished beyond the Wall. But from what we know of skinchangers and greenseers, he was likely born with the gift due to his First Men heritage - he is like Jon, half FM half Targ. And he probably honed his natural skills beyond the Wall, w/ help from the CotF.

17 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Yes, character names absolutely mean something. That is literally a theme of identity the author is using. And you can see the confusion it causes when you bring something from the show discussion into the book forums. How can we answer a question about someone who does not exist? That would be like asking the book forum who the father was to Karsi's two children.

14 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

I have wondered this myself many times, but we just don't have this info yet. Maybe one day in either TWOW or maybe a Dunk & Egg story, but the author has said that Bloodraven was sorta developed along the way, so it doesn't seem as though a huge amount of this specific backstory may have been known to the author himself at the time of his writing.

Great Question! but no answers. at least not from the text.

I have wondered about that as well. I think there are a lot of neat questions surrounding the history of that position. was the previous one human? did there used to be a flock of ravens but not there's just one? in the past have greenseers worked together in teams/factions/ or solo like the skinchangers north of the wall seem to right now?

I hope we find some answers.

As others pointed out, there is no 3 eyed raven in the books... and no three-eyed-crow speaks to Bran in the show.

I would question wether Blood-Raven is actually the 3-eyed-crow that appears to Bran and Jojen at all.

If you care for more about my suspicions: 

Not only that, but I assume you mean to imply that there was someone in Bloodraven's place before him.

However we have no reason to believe this, in fact there doesn't seem to be much evidence that Bloodraven is teaching Bran to take his place either...

So, inadvertently I believe you have stumbled upon a major difference between the two.

If I had to blame someone for the return of the Others, Bloodraven would be my #1 bet.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:48 PM, Grazdan zo Azer said:

you're assuming there is and always has been a three eyed crow. we don't really know that. 

Brynden may have taken the position up himself, just as the others were gathering and planning. He is a powerful warg, I almost wonder if he means to live through Bran. 

4 hours ago, Lady Maester said:

you're assuming there is and always has been a three eyed crow. we don't know that, except for the hints in the show. we can't take the show as canon when discussing the books, as tempting as it is. I know for me it's sometimes hard to differentiate the two in my own head.

Brynden may have taken the position up himself, just as the others were gathering and planning. He is a powerful warg, I almost wonder if he means to live through Bran. The show has diverged so much, I feel like anything is possible. 

Heads up, we can't even mention the show here, forum rules. There's a pinned thread on page 1, you might want to check it out. 

Also, Bloodraven is a very powerful skinchanger not warg since warg applies only to wolves. :)

30 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Heads up, we can't even mention the show here, forum rules. There's a pinned thread on page 1, you might want to check it out. 

Also, Bloodraven is a very powerful skinchanger not warg since warg applies only to wolves. :)

OK, I did read that. after rereading what I posted, I see I did give something away. thanks for the heads up. 

It is stated that only one in a thousand are born a warg, and one in a thousand wargs are born a greenseer. So I don't think it is something you can just pass the torch onto anybody, you have to be that rare someone. But I do believe the torch was passed onto Brynden Rivers. I always thought from a quote by Euron Greyjoy, though I cant remember it exactly, when he says he had dreams of him falling or flying being visited by a crow. I always took that as BR seeking another to replace him. He seeks those rare people who have the potential in them to be a greenseer and tries to persuade them to continue the lineage of them. But some dont beckon to the call. One did though and his name is Bran.

Archived