Westerosi history compared with American History

Fishb20

Obviously much of Westerosi history is inspired by British and European history, however i feel some similarities can be drawn between the history of westeros and that of the authors home country of america

the first is that i believe the first men could be somewhat analogous with the native americans. First of all, they crossed a land bridge, which later disapeared. Secondly, the worship of the Old Gods, while clearly based mostly on paegen worship, can also be seen as reminiscent of the nature-worshipping religions of america.

Continuing this connection, the andals can be seen as a stand-in for the British, coming to an unfamiliar land and conqueoring it, pushing the native people to the furthest reaches of the map

obviously most of the history is based on england, these were just some cool possible connections that struck me

actually westeros already had "people" living in it before the first men. The giants and children of the forest. And half were killed by the first men and then they made peace but then the andals finished the job with superior technology. So the native american parrel is more similar then you think. There are alot that can be made but I can't think of them right now

King's Landing = Washington D.C. 

• The decision not to use a existing castle/city like Oldtown or Dragonstone (like how the US didn't use an existing city like New York or Philadelphia)
  • The decision to build a brand-new city which is relatively young compared to most others.
  • The decision to put it in a more central location (Washington was put in the relative middle of the 13 colonies and specifically not in an existing state.)
  • Both planned (to some degree) and square
  • Both dominated by massive, towering monuments and buildings - but have a kinda crummy city in the rest (D.C. isn't KL bad, but its not the greatest city in the US. Plus it's an awful spot to build a city - swampy and hardly any bedrock).
  • Named for the founder of the nation
  • Located on a deep bay (Blackwater and Chesapeake)
  • Red Keep = White House
  • A lot of shady shit going down.

Archived