Spider-Man: Homecoming -- your spoiler-sense should be tingling

Bastard of Boston

I'll be going to see it Sunday/Monday when I get discount tickets.

I find it hard to get excited about "new" spider-man films given it's only 5 years since the last "new" version dropped. It also doesn't really help that the plot has been outlined in the trailers although in fairness it's basic storytelling to guess how it would go with Tony Stark involved (and it was never an option the mentor would die in the act II - III switch). But the fact it's Marvel has me pretty condifent it'll be watchable.

I've decided to draw the line with this one.  

I'm pretty tired of comic book movies, especially Marvel. So many of the Marvel films are ok-ish but they almost always seem to stick to their formula and don't take any real risks. Add in that it's another Spider-Man reboot and I'm not paying £10 to go watch it in the cinema.

50 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm pretty tired of comic book movies, especially Marvel. So many of the Marvel films are ok-ish but they almost always seem to stick to their formula and don't take any real risks. Add in that it's another Spider-Man reboot and I'm not paying £10 to go watch it in the cinema.

I'm really torn. I think there are elements of this movie that I will really enjoy. The highschool element and it just seems to have a spark thats been lacking in the last few Spideys. 

But yes, there is an element of formula not just to Marvel movies but almost all blockbuster movies right now that is so risk adverse that I can barely justify paying to watch them. I'll probably find myself watching it anyway, but regretting it.

17 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm really torn. I think there are elements of this movie that I will really enjoy. The highschool element and it just seems to have a spark thats been lacking in the last few Spideys. 

But yes, there is an element of formula not just to Marvel movies but almost all blockbuster movies right now that is so risk adverse that I can barely justify paying to watch them. I'll probably find myself watching it anyway, but regretting it.

I hope if you do go see it that you enjoy it. The non spoiler reviews have been giving the movie lots and lots of praise. I heard someone call it the most realistic superhero film and I'm so happy because that's the reason I love Marvel characters is because how realistic they are. 

10 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I hope if you do go see it that you enjoy it. The non spoiler reviews have been giving the movie lots and lots of praise. I heard someone call it the most realistic superhero film and I'm so happy because that's the reason I love Marvel characters is because how realistic they are. 

Spidey is definitely the character to strive for this. He's a geeky kid whose poor that's always going to be more relatable than the billionairre playboys and military/cop-like heroes.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I'm getting better at line-drawing. I refused to watch Alien:Covenant unless the reviews were good. They weren't (this included reviews from friends). It looks like the film underperformed and I think this is because others are also getting better at resisting the hype (and remembering Prometheus). Hopefully when studios get the impression that no amount of marketing will get enough people to see a film, they'll consider quality too.

This film is tricky because it is yet another spidey film but it does seem like Sony have learned their lesson and at least thrown their lot in with Marvel.

39 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Which is a potential downside of joining Marvel, the film will probably be even less risk averse. eg with Stark looking like a surrogate uncle ben we know there's no chance of him dying too.

The thing that's got me most interested in the film is their take on the Vulture. If that's indicative of their approach to the film it could be really good.

I'm also looking forward to the film being about Spidey stopping an arms dealer as opposed to saving the world or New York. The apparent lack of hordes of CGI villains is also promising.

I'll definitely be following the thread for impressions on the film.

Yeah spidey fighting more low level villains feels right. But so far I've felt switched off by the Vulture from what I've seen. Looks look a standard nighttime fight over a city full of CGI beams and splosions. The latest trailer really ramped up the blockbuster aspect and dialed down the teen comedy part. I wanna see less of the former and more of the latter 

This was pretty entertaining, certainly the best Spidey movie in the last 10 years. Very unambitious and always funny, occasionally hilarious. It's not perfect by any means- too much Stark and Happy Hogan, not enough good material for Keaton (but when there is, he delivers, in a really great scene), the fight scenes are fine, but unmemorable- but overall it captures well what a Spider-Man movie should be.

Oh, and stay until the end of the credits. Being patient is the right thing, I promise.

9 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah spidey fighting more low level villains feels right. But so far I've felt switched off by the Vulture from what I've seen.

I said this in the Marvel movie thread, but I liked the Vulture. I'm not a big fan of Marvel's villains, generally I think they're weak with questionable motives, but the Vulture actually seemed to have some depth that made him a better character. Step in the right direction maybe.

I almost liked the Vulture.  They tried to do something different for him which I appreciated given that it's a marvel movie.  Sadly the "wrong gun" scene just kind of ruined what they were trying to do with the character but close.  The movie was certainly miles better than the standard marvel formula movie so good job there I guess. It was quite funny, they did the high school stuff mostly well.  Iron Man mostly showed up appropriately (not the end sadly) so it mostly made sense from a logic perspective.

Honestly the thing I enjoyed the most was that the central theme of the movie was just a retooled version of the 60's Spiderman theme song. Made me smile every time.

I absolutely loved it, and I suspected I would -- hence, my excitement going in. They were saying all of the right things when promoting this, and those things were so specific, that I believed them. The high school stuff was what sold me on the movie, and I came away being more invested in those story elements than the "main" storyline. This movie felt small in the best possible sense of the world.

That said, the stuff with Vulture was great. He was a villain with emotional stakes. I thought he was both endearing and frightening, most apparent in the car scene with Peter and Liz. He went from embarrassing father to scary thug seamlessly.

Those "kids" though -- I put kids in quotes because most of them probably aren't kids -- were the best. I don't even care that they took significant creative license with them, to the point where they were those characters in name only. Something tells me this is how the powers that be negotiated yet another Spider-Man reboot -- by making everyone around Peter completely different and essentially hybrid, fanboys be damned. More specifically, I feel like the "Call me MJ" comment from Zendaya's character wasn't a troll -- it was a declaration that she is going to be endgame by the time this new trilogy is over.

Tony Stark was used just enough to accentuate and not overpower, and the Cap post-credit scene was amazing.

a friend of mine just messaged me,urging me to go see "the best superhero film ever!" followed by a "With the possible exception of Dark Knight trilogy". High praise.

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Did this one not come out overseas first? I expected this thread to be longer.

It's out across Europe already. I'd expect a flood over the weekend as that's usually the most popular time for the cinema. Although in the UK the weather has been particularly good so dark cinemas are not as popular as they are when it's raining.

I loved nearly everything about this movie. The cast was great, though many were underused(and I'm okay with that cause Peter/Spiderman got all the focus as he should)and I hope they are used better in the future movies. The actors playing the teens were so funny and their chemistry was really good. Zendaya was hilarious and I'm glad she's MJ. Aunt May was great and I need lots of focus on her in the next movies. Michael Keaton was a great villain, truely terrifying. I knew Peter was going to survive but that car scene where he is threatening Peter made me legit scared for Peter, and Tom played it perfectly. Speaking of Tom, he IS Peter Parker/Spiderman. I loved that the stakes in this movie were street level. The villains were trying to make money, do petty crime and it was nice being grounded in Peter's world throughout the movie. 

Things I didn't like but didn't dislike. 

-I loved Tony Stark in this movie and having Happy back was a plus. But there was an obvious disconnect between Tony and Peter that I didn't like and I want to say maybe because Tony doesn't know how to handle a 15yr old kid but I'm glad he did listen to him about the thieves. Also I'm glad that Ironman wasn't in this as much as people thought but I also wish we got him in the future Spidy films I would like to see Tony and Peter's relationship explored more throughout the future films. 

-The suit was perfect and I liked Karen but his spidy senses were inconsistent throughout the film. Keven Feige confirmed that Peter does have spidy senses in the MCU and I could see it once or twice but it seemed like he didn't have them. Maybe it's do to his age and his powers will be growing. Hopefully in the future movies it's on full display. 

-Tony selling the Avengers Tower. No words :-( 

-I'm suprised that Tony would want a 15yr old kid up rooting his life or living at the Avengers Compound 24/7. That didn't sit right with me. 

Things that I LOVED 

-the Iron Spider-Man suit. I literally gasped out loud cause I love that suit so much and I better get to see Peter in it soon. 

-Miles Morales in the MCU

-Aunt May finding out. 

The whole movie was perfect and I need to see it again but it's my favorite this year. 

20 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Something I forgot to mention -- loved the parts where Peter showed vulnerability. The parts where he cried over having the suit taken away and panicked after being stuck under the rubble were amazing.

These were some of my favorite parts too. 

I liked how he realized after calling for help that he was Spider-Man and no one was coming for him. This was a very realistic movie and that's why I was so very uncomfortable with a 15yr old fighting dangerous bad guys even though he could stop cars with his bare hands. 

Saw it today, and enjoyed it very much.  I really liked the Vulture's origin story.  I was worried there would be too much Iron Man, but he was kept to a minimum.  One thing I didn't like (and didn't expect to going in) was the high tech suit, I prefer Peter making his own tech.

Holland did a better job than I thought he would, I didn't care much for him in Civil War.  I still liked Garfield better.

This movie was incredibly fun to watch. I enjoyed it overall. With that said, it was the fourth best Superhero flick that has come out this year. I enjoyed Wonder Woman, Guardians 2, and Logan more overall. 

I still think it is a knee jerk reaction to call Tom Holland the best Spiderman so far. While Andrew Garfield starred in movies that were sub par, and he was a little too old, he achieved the web slinger's snark perfectly. Peter Parker has never been a wide eyed kid. He has always been mature beyond his years and his wit has a bite to it. 

This movie was fun though. I really enjoyed how small they made the movie. Superhero flicks don't have to be about saving the world. Sometimes, they are just about making the right decisions at the right time regardless of personal cost and in this theme, the movie could not have been done better.

My final thought, and biggest criticism is this. If I see one more movie set in the dark at the final chapter to cover up for tough CGI I am going to puke. I absolutely hated the plane sequence. You could have substituted any other fight scene in the dark from any other superhero movie and it would have come across the same way to me. When you turn the lights out and flash stuff across the screen in 2 second cuts, you have lost me as an audience member. 

What is so glaring about this is it is contrasted with the Washington Monument scene. The setting was so bright, and the shots were so well done that it made for one of the best action sequences I can recall in recent memory.

Liked it. My main complaint is the sloppy timeline. Eight years between Avengers and Civil War (and thus Spiderman) my arse!

Avengers is set md 2012, Civil War/Spiderman is 2016. That's four years.

I did like how inconstant Stark is.  Peter is told not to investigste the vulture and does so anyway, and loses his suit.

He still goes after the vilture, and Stark hails this as a sign of his growing maturity and offers to make him an avenger! For doing the exact same thing that made Stark chew him out!

Archived