U.S. Politics: One NothingBurger with 100% Mos-Cow, Side of Orange Slices and a Banana Daiquiri, Please

This is obviously very embarrassing for Trump Jr but is it not potentially a pretty serious legal issue for Kushner? Lying about/not mentioning a meeting with someone associated with the Russian government offering to do favours for you when applying for a security clearance seems like a big deal to me.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

This is obviously very embarrassing for Trump Jr but is it not potentially a pretty serious legal issue for Kushner? Lying about/not mentioning a meeting with someone associated with the Russian government offering to do favours for you when applying for a security clearance seems like a big deal to me.

They all did it: Junior, Flynn, Manafort, Sessions, etc. ad nauseum. I do believe that each infraction is worth about 5 years in prison. 

The question is: are they all willing to fall on their sword for Mango Mussolini? Or are they really so stupid as to just admit collusion and possibly treason? 

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yes. We'll see what happens. Kushner still has his clearance right now even though this is the 3rd or 4th meeting he has omitted originally. He may of mentioned this on updated forms, I do not know.

Conservative people I know have been very quiet about this today.  It's a given that conservatives aren't going to care for this since they stand for nothing, but I'm really itching to know how they're going to spin it.  Is Fox News even talking about it? 

4 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I think this lends a lot of credence to the speculation that the leak regarding Don Jr.'s meeting with the Russians was leaked by Kushner's faction in the White House trying to make Don Jr. the scapegoat. This is Junior's revenge in my opinion.

I could see that. Also, there is this article that just dropped. Sounds like they reached out for comment on an article already written and quoted and he decided to release the emails to "get ahead" of it.

After being told that The Times was about to publish the content of the emails, instead of responding to a request for comment, Donald Trump Jr. tweeted out images of them himself on Tuesday.

Just now, Which Tyler said:

So will this start to actually reach Don Sr? or does he still have plausible deniability if his son, son-in-law, and best friend are willing to throw themselves under the bus for him?

He still has plausible deniability, at least right now.

59 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I think Ivanka quite well fits the "Michael" mold. But to jumble the analogy further, Vito is not Trump, but Trump's father and instead of Michael being Vito's son s/he was the grandchild. Trump is Sonny. That's who's running the fucking country.

It has been a while since I read the book but wasn't Sonny known for his big 'hands'? Doesn't sound like wee Donny.

7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

They all did it: Junior, Flynn, Manafort, Sessions, etc. ad nauseum. I do believe that each infraction is worth about 5 years in prison. 

The question is: are they all willing to fall on their sword for Mango Mussolini? Or are they really so stupid as to just admit collusion and possibly treason? 

Trump could still pardon all of them; and for at least Jr. and Kushner I think he would if it came to it.

On the other hand, the presidential pardon only applies to Federal crimes; so the real question is going to end up being if any of them violated New York state laws. I suspect a lot of people are going to be reading up on the conspiracy charges section of the New York penal code pretty soon.

Also, I think there are few people alive who know New York state conspiracy laws better than mob lawyers; so maybe Don Jr.'s new lawyer really did advise him to dump these emails to lay the groundwork for some kind of defense. Though I tend to think Jr. is just an idiot.

6 minutes ago, maarsen said:

It has been a while since I read the book but wasn't Sonny known for his big 'hands'? Doesn't sound like wee Donny.

Never read the book, only seen the movie about a hundred times. Sonny, brash, vain, quick to anger, womanizing, easy to goad and manipulate, don't know why I thought Donny seemed similar to Sonny :dunno: 

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Trump could still pardon all of them; and for at least Jr. and Kushner I think he would if it came to it.

On the other hand, the presidential pardon only applies to Federal crimes; so the real question is going to end up being if any of them violated New York state laws. I suspect a lot of people are going to be reading up on the conspiracy charges section of the New York penal code pretty soon.

Also, I think there are few people alive who know New York state conspiracy laws better than mob lawyers; so maybe Don Jr.'s new lawyer really did advise him to dump these emails to lay the groundwork for some kind of defense. Though I tend to think Jr. is just an idiot.

They were coming out anyway given the NYT article so it doesn't hurt for them to be out unless they just wanted to call it "fake news" some more and get caught in another lie.

As for the pardon, wouldn't it be considered obstruction of justice if Trump pardoned people while under active investigation by the FBI?

In case you want a good chuckle:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/white-house-denies-any-ties-to-united-states

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In a fiercely defiant statement on Tuesday, the White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, denied that any member of the White House staff has ever worked "in any way, shape, or form" for the benefit of the United States.

Angrily addressing the press corps, Spicer said that any allegations that members of the Trump Administration have ever acted in concert or collusion with the United States are "unequivocally false."

"At no time during the transition or afterward did any member of the Trump team have meetings, conversations, or any other contacts that furthered the interests of the United States of America," Spicer said. "In the thousands of communications that took place, the United States never came up even once."

Drawing a stark contrast with the Administration of former President Barack Obama, Spicer said that many members of Obama’s staff were “clearly and flagrantly working for the United States government at all times.”

“President Trump has put an end to that,” he said.

In closing, Spicer said that the recent effort to pass the Republican health-care bill should silence “once and for all” those trying to link the Trump Administration to the United States government. "If you look at the interaction between the White House and congressional Republicans, there is absolutely no evidence of coördination,” he said.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

They were coming out anyway given the NYT article so it doesn't hurt for them to be out unless they just wanted to call it "fake news" some more and get caught in another lie.

As for the pardon, wouldn't it be considered obstruction of justice if Trump pardoned people while under active investigation by the FBI?

Sure, but like everything else it doesn't matter what Trump does unless Congress acts. There is no mechanism in place to prosecute or remove him from office without congressional action.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Sure, but like everything else it doesn't matter what Trump does unless Congress acts. There is no mechanism in place to prosecute or remove him from office without congressional action.

I know. But it gives Congress one more point to add to the articles of impeachment (though it's already there given the Comey firing) if they lose the House or if they finally grow a spine, both of which seem unlikely at this point. Orrin Hatch is out there saying it's no big deal, he'd never do it himself, but it's not a big thing.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

As someone on twitter (maybe Josh Barro?) pointed out a while ago, the problem with the 'Fredo' analogy is that it would mean there's a Michael Corleone somewhere in the Trump family. And that does not seem to be the case.

It's Melania. Just you wait. She's the fucking Verbal Kint / Keyser Soze of this thing. When the White House goes up in flames and Mueller retires, mission completed, you'll see her stroll casually away down Pennsylvania Avenue, her famous limp all gone.

Bang Your Head. Listening to Republican nonsense will drive you mad..............

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/07/seven_gop_candidates_pitch_the.html

With less than six weeks to make their cases with Alabama voters, seven Republican candidates in the special election for the U.S. Senate took their campaigns to Montgomery today.

"President Trump is the greatest thing that's happened to this country," Strange said. "I consider it a Biblical miracle that he's there."

Double facepalm. I'd do more, but I don't have enough hands.

Strange got some applause when he called for the immediate repeal of Obamacare, which he called a "disaster." He said federal involvement in the health care system has gone far beyond providing a basic safety net for the neediest.

Thinks the "Brownback Boom" was a success. Claims ACA has been a disaster.

"We're going to take care of the most vulnerable citizens," Strange said. "But remember what this was intended to do, was to take care of disabled individuals and poor women and children. We have now turned it into a massive entitlement, just one example of the problems facing this country."

So single people with pre-existing conditions can just fuck off? You know, there are people that work that don't get employer sponsored healthcare.

The biggest problem facing the country is the Republican Party.

23 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I could see that. Also, there is this article that just dropped. Sounds like they reached out for comment on an article already written and quoted and he decided to release the emails to "get ahead" of it.

I thought this was the most obvious explanation. Revenge within the Trump circle is a very compelling and juicy story and all, but Occam's Razor dictates that he's trying to keep up appearances by being the guy to put the evidence forth and get a chance to attach an innocent-sounding statement.

52 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It may be for all of them:

Trump Jr.‘s decision to take the meeting in and of itself likely violated campaign finance law, which does not require you to actually get anything useful from foreigners. In other words, the mere fact that Trump Jr. asked for information from a Russian national about Clinton might have constituted a federal crime.

“The law states that no person shall knowingly solicit or accept from a foreign national any contribution to a campaign of an item of value,” Goodman tells me. “There is now a clear case that Donald Trump Jr. has met all the elements of the law, which is a criminally enforced federal statute.”

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/7/10/15950590/donald-trump-jr-new-york-times-illegal

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And taken Manafort and Kushner with him.

After being informed that the Russian lawyer could not make the 3 p.m. time that had been proposed, and agreeing to move it forward by an hour, Donald Trump Jr. forwarded the entire email chain to Mr. Kushner’s company work email, and to Mr. Manafort at his Trump campaign email.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/us/politics/trump-russia-email-clinton.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

In other, equally important, news, McConnell has announced he's delaying the start of the August recess until the third week of August.

I'm undecided if this is a sign of confidence or desperation from him in getting any major bills passed (and its not just health care on the docket).

Archived