U.S. Politics: One NothingBurger with 100% Mos-Cow, Side of Orange Slices and a Banana Daiquiri, Please

There was an interesting interview shown on CNN this morning with a spokesperson for Pence, where he was asked whether Pence also met with Russians. The spokesman absolutely refused to answer the question, answering instead that the VP was focused on the business of the administration.

The commentators on CNN did not think it meant Pence had also met with Russians, simply that his camp is refusing to answer the question because he has been misled by the Trump team so many times. Pretty sad state of affairs.

And if you haven't seen the Colbert piece with the actor who voiced Gollum in LotR reading a couple of Trump tweets yet, it's worth looking up. The pronunciation of 'Sad' is worth it alone!

37 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There was an interesting interview shown on CNN this morning with a spokesperson for Pence, where he was asked whether Pence also met with Russians. The spokesman absolutely refused to answer the question, answering instead that the VP was focused on the business of the administration.

The commentators on CNN did not think it meant Pence had also met with Russians, simply that his camp is refusing to answer the question because he has been misled by the Trump team so many times. Pretty sad state of affairs.

I saw the interview too, and I don't know how they could draw that conclusion. Anything other than an unequivocal no would indicate some level of guilt to me. And that logic makes no sense. How could Trump mislead Pence about meetings Pence was in?

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I saw the interview too, and I don't know how they could draw that conclusion. Anything other than an unequivocal no would indicate some level of guilt to me. And that logic makes no sense. How could Trump mislead Pence about meetings Pence was in?

Yea. I really don't believe the "Trump team misleads Pence". I really don't think Pence is that isolated from everything, especially given he did fuck all about Flynn during the transition he led.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either.  The only way that would be possible is if Trump is introducing Pence to people who have Russian connections without Pence knowing said connections.  I guess that's possible?  I dunno, sounds weak.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Yea. I really don't believe the "Trump team misleads Pence". I really don't think Pence is that isolated from everything, especially given he did fuck all about Flynn during the transition he led.

Idk. Pence and Trump don't have any chemistry, and moreover, are totally different people. It wouldn't shock me at all to learn that Pence has little to no role in this WH. After all, the only reason he was on the ticket was to secure evangelicals. That may still be his only job. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either.  The only way that would be possible is if Trump is introducing Pence to people who have Russian connections without Pence knowing said connections.  I guess that's possible?  I dunno, sounds weak.

Even then you'd still give a stronger defense than his spokesman did. Something as simple as, "To the best of our knowledge, VP Pence has had no interactions with anyone associated with the Russian government or anyone involved in the hacking of the DNC" would have sufficed. All he could muster was to say that he was "unaware" after being pressed for a third time.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk. Pence and Trump don't have any chemistry, and moreover, are totally different people. It wouldn't shock me at all to learn that Pence has little to no role in this WH. After all, the only reason he was on the ticket was to secure evangelicals. That may still be his only job. 

Mike Pence none the wiser.

41 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So, who decides whether Kushner does or does not have security clearance?  Because it seems like the evidence is almost overwhelming, unless some of the facts presented in that article are wrong. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honest to God, that was my exact reaction as well. I thought it was only me, the cynic.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

You have to think there's a skeleton or two in his closet. Maybe instead of getting the advice most lawyers would give, "Come clean, be ahead of the game", his advisers are saying "Admit nothing, you will be thrown under the bus, you are not family"?

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Pence would never meet with Russian lawyer lady alone, he's got that in his favor.

I snorted, thank heavens I had already finished my coffee!

Your laugh of the afternoon, courtesy of Pence.

Pence: Leaders should be humble, exercise self-control

Vice President Pence shared advice Wednesday with a group of students in Chicago on how to be a leader like President Trump, saying a leader must be humble and exercise self-control.

"I urge you to be servant leaders, driven by a calling to support and to serve others — not by selfish ambition — as the animating force of your career," he continued.

Pence also advised that they should "respect those who have been placed above you."

"Honor them. Learn from them. Follow their example. Give them the honor that they are due," he added.

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Mike Pence none the wiser.

Absolutely incorrect. 

40 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

So, who decides whether Kushner does or does not have security clearance?  Because it seems like the evidence is almost overwhelming, unless some of the facts presented in that article are wrong. 

Trump does. He can rewrite the rules. 

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Absolutely incorrect. 

Trump does. He can rewrite the rules. 

There's no way that security clearances are all handled by the president directly.  Obviously it will be someone who ultimately answers to Trump, but who is that person?

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

There's no way that security clearances are all handled by the president directly.  Obviously it will be someone who ultimately answers to Trump, but who is that person?

Handling security clearances is most likely one of the many jobs Trump assigned to Kushner along with establishing peace in the Middle East.

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

(I think this is how it was, but don't flame me if I get anything wrong, it's been a while and things do change) There is a "clearing house" that reviews all the security clearance investigations and makes the determination if a person gets the clearance they have applied for.  There are several of these for different major departments.  When derogatory information is found, after the fact, or if a person who was denied files to have his file re-evaluated, there is a board, one level up, that does these reviews.

For example, the Army has it's clearing house, but if a person wanted a re-evaluation, or after they had derogatory information reported on them, the files would be sent to a Department of Defense board for review.

It's different with the White House and staff.  I think the Pentagon (DoD) would be responsible for granting the clearances, but I don't know who the review board would be (DHS?).  The president had classification authority, but I don't know if he could grant clearances.

Now the fact that the forms require you to swear to the truthfulness and completeness of the forms under the penalty of perjury, and clearly state that lying/omitting could be punished by fines or imprisonment should be an entirely separate matter.

Archived