So why are the iron isles so important. help me out

snow is the man

This is in both the books and the show but in the show it makes even less sense to me. The iron men seem like they would play a very small part in anything besides raping and pillaging along the coast. Yet they get so much time and effort in the show for no real reason. Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems like they get way too much time,effort,and resources put towards them. Unless euron is some huge deal I don't see why they really matter at all. Am I the only one who has thought this?

I've also thought this. I think for that reason it's quite interesting to see how their storyline is going to develop. I hope that Euron's fascination with Dany ends calamitously and at least gets rid of the last bad spirits from the iron islands. Feel that Asha and Theon actually want to positively impact Westeros now - albeit they want independence 

On 7/10/2017 at 6:14 AM, King in the Nord said:

I've also thought this. I think for that reason it's quite interesting to see how their storyline is going to develop. I hope that Euron's fascination with Dany ends calamitously and at least gets rid of the last bad spirits from the iron islands. Feel that Asha and Theon actually want to positively impact Westeros now - albeit they want independence 

well to be fair they would have independence that is dictated by dany. And she is making them change their ways as well so it's kind of a toss up in terms of them actually being independent

I think because Theon is important.

They had to be created mostly because the Stark cause needed to be weakened after the War of the five Kings started. It couldn't be done from another House in the North yet, since they all went to war.

How to do it best? Create these Islands with a rebellious King whose son was taken as a hostage (reason-failed rebellion) and preys on the lightly guarded North at the time.  

I think they express an aspect of human life and sociopolitics in our reality. You can't leave them out, just like the Unsullied or the Dothraki. Dany only needed one source of manpower, if big enough, writing wise. The differences add nuance and insight. People be pirating when very unsatisfied by society. It's a vibe humans have, a seafaring archetype. 

Euron will be an important villain, the last important human villain to be introduced. We always need those because otherwise boredom. Theon is/will be an important hero, somehow his actions will just matter for the story, because that's how you write stories. So he needs to be properly fleshed out and all, we need to see him fight for whatever position he will then be in to do whatever.

I guess I don't really understand the question. Why do we need any character(group of characters) we have? Because that's what the story is.

4 hours ago, ftheking said:

Euron will be an important villain, the last important human villain to be introduced. We always need those because otherwise boredom. Theon is/will be an important hero, somehow his actions will just matter for the story, because that's how you write stories. So he needs to be properly fleshed out and all, we need to see him fight for whatever position he will then be in to do whatever.

I guess I don't really understand the question. Why do we need any character(group of characters) we have? Because that's what the story is.

No I was just asking why they needed to have so much stuff about them. Maybe euron is the reason but I don't know

I don't get your answer either. What stuff? Why did they need so much stuff about the Lannisters? Cause it's the story.

Theon is the main reason. He is a main character. Euron is a big villain. This being interconnected is good storytelling.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:19 PM, snow is the man said:

This is in both the books and the show but in the show it makes even less sense to me. The iron men seem like they would play a very small part in anything besides raping and pillaging along the coast. Yet they get so much time and effort in the show for no real reason. Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems like they get way too much time,effort,and resources put towards them. Unless euron is some huge deal I don't see why they really matter at all. Am I the only one who has thought this?

Because Euron is a vey big villain in the story.

He's ASOIAF's anti-Christ figure. The anti-AA. 

So basically the Bloodstone Emperor analogue. The one that likely ushers in the Long Night 

17 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Because Euron is a vey big villain in the story.

He's ASOIAF's anti-Christ figure. The anti-AA. 

So basically the Bloodstone Emperor analogue. The one that likely ushers in the Long Night 

So it's kind of a "it will be explained" type of thing? I don't mean that to sound smart I am just guessing that you mean it is because euron will be so bad.

Because the ironborn are important in the books, not in the main characters sense, but important to get the 'game' going. The problem with the show is that they cut out almost everything they play significant part in, that they seem pointless, which they are. Their biggest role in the future will probably be Euron aligning with Cersei to oppose Dany just so her conquest isn't as easy peasy. 

Greyjoys are the biggest LOSERS in the entire Series!  The fact Cersei is so strapped of allies that she would team up with them is the whole point.  And the fact that the biggest losers , the Greyjoys, are the last threat to survive is the bitter irony of the book and the show.

In the show Balon Greyjoy won the WotFK lmao!!

Archived