deep, thought provoking question thread

15 minutes ago, commiedore said:

is a pop tart a type of calzone, or vice versa?

There are pop-tarts that aspire to calzonedom, but they aren't fooling anybody.

https://www.pillsbury.com/products/toaster-strudel/toaster-scrambles

I mean, look at that bullshit. That's just sad. You need a proper oven to prepare a calzone. 

How does Superman fly faster? I mean when he's just like hovering and looking around, sees some disaster, and then just tears it halfway across the globe without having anything to push off of. You're Superman, I get it. You're a badass. But your not DefytheLawsofPhysics Man. Cut that shit out.  

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

How does Superman fly faster? I mean when he's just like hovering and looking around, sees some disaster, and then just tears it halfway across the globe without having anything to push off of. You're Superman, I get it. You're a badass. But your not DefytheLawsofPhysics Man. Cut that shit out.  

Except he is. I mean, he can't catch falling people either. Even if he was capable of doing so, they'd be cut in three pieces every single time.

11 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Shouldn't firemen and firewomen be called watermen and waterwomen?

Nope. I think words for occupations generally deal with what is being acted upon rather than the equipment used.

A laundry man or laundry woman is someone who acts upon the clothes to make them clean. They aren't "washing machine men/women." I think most speakers of English would interpret a "washing machine man/woman" as someone who fixes the machines or keeps them in good working order, not one who does the laundry.

So a waterman or waterwoman is someone who brings you water for any purpose, not someone who puts out fires with the water (and of course fires can be extinguished through other methods than water, which would make "waterperson" even less appropriate a term for someone who puts out fires.)

And a fireman of course doesn't have to be someone who puts out fires. It's also "a person who tends a furnace or the fire of a steam engine or steamship" .  You are called after what you're dealing with, whether you are trying to extinguish it or trying to keep it going. :)

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

Nope. I think words for occupations generally deal with what is being acted upon rather than the equipment used.

A laundry man or laundry woman is someone who acts upon the clothes to make them clean. They aren't "washing machine men/women." I think most speakers of English would interpret a "washing machine man/woman" as someone who fixes the machines or keeps them in good working order, not one who does the laundry.

So a waterman or waterwoman is someone who brings you water for any purpose, not someone who puts out fires with the water (and of course fires can be extinguished through other methods than water, which would make "waterperson" even less appropriate a term for someone who puts out fires.)

And a fireman of course doesn't have to be someone who puts out fires. It's also "a person who tends a furnace or the fire of a steam engine or steamship" .  You are called after what you're dealing with, whether you are trying to extinguish it or trying to keep it going. :)

A fireman could be one who fires people, or one who fans the flames of love. Unless there is a rule that states that the thing acted upon must be physical.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:10 AM, commiedore said:

is a pop tart a type of calzone, or vice versa?

Been deeply thinking about this for about 30 seconds and I've come to a conclusion.  You're asking the wrong question.  Pop tarts are indispensable for young, unmarried, or lazy males.  But they should not be equated with calzones.  Instead, we have hot pockets, which may help you from being forced to return to The Island:

Archived