deep, thought provoking question thread

24 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

A friend and I spent a couple hours trying to figure out the exact phrasing of the old wisdom about listening twice as much as you speak or something.  I dunno. We never figured it out.

I think it's founded on bio-mechanical math, ie 2 ears, 1 mouth.

On Wednesday, August 09, 2017 at 7:10 PM, James Arryn said:

Is a box still empty with a cat sitting in it?

If it is  Schroedinger's cat, the box is both full and empty being in a superposition of both.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:10 PM, James Arryn said:

Is a box still empty with a cat sitting in it?

11 hours ago, maarsen said:

If it is  Schroedinger's cat, the box is both full and empty being in a superposition of both.

The real question is: How do we know there's a box at all? ;)

And, for the record, our cat will demonstrate with extreme prejudice, to anyone getting too close, that the box is definitely not empty!  Ouch!:eek:

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I assume Amazon rain forest refers to the labyrinthine warehouses of the corporate giant?

the actual quote here is "if a worker falls down and dies in the amazon warehouse, trying to meet unsustainable performance goals for barely better than minimum wage and no benefits, and no one is allowed to have seen it for fear of losing their job, does the company make any noise?"

5 hours ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

the actual quote here is "if a worker falls down and dies in the amazon warehouse, trying to meet unsustainable performance goals for barely better than minimum wage and no benefits, and no one is allowed to have seen it for fear of losing their job, does the company make any noise?"

Of course they make a noise, to the tune of: "We offer our deepest sympathies to the worker's family and reaffirm our commitment to a safe, ethical and supportive workplace environment for all of our workers. This was a tragic accident and we are doing all we can to investigate the causes to avoid them in future."

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Of course they make a noise, to the tune of: "We offer our deepest sympathies to the worker's family and reaffirm our commitment to a safe, ethical and supportive workplace environment for all of our workers. This was a tragic accident and we are doing all we can to investigate the causes to avoid them in future."

And of course they will offer free shipping for the corpse.

/But not for same day.

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And of course they will offer free shipping for the corpse.

/But not for same day.

Depends, was the worker an Amazon Prime member? Surely membership doesn't lapse with death, he paid up for he whole year!

Archived