Top 3 Most Desirable Castles of Westeros

1. Casterly Rock - gold mines, on the coast, and almost impregnable
  2. Highgarden - surrounded by fertile lands, blessed with good climate.
  3. The Twins - strategically placed to generate a steady income from collecting tolls, surrounded by fertile lands, good fishing and transportation, strong castles on both sides of the river.

Casterly Rock, for the same reason as you.

Storm's End for being impregnable and hard to siege

Eyrie, for being impossible to conquer without dragons.

Not necessarialy in that order. They all have status too, as they were once the seat of kings

From the perspective of income generation:

Casterly Rock, The Twins, and Highgarden.  These are also very desirable places to live. 

Starfall is said to be desirable in terms of proximity to warm beaches and scenic views but it cannot compare to the above in terms of generating income for its occupants.  Harrenhal has fertile lands and it is hard to breach but the castle itself is in a bad state of repair.  I would not pick Harrenhal.  So sure, I choose Casterly Rock, The Twins, and Highgarden as well.

I'm thinking Casterly Rock because it has cliffs by the sea you can go swimming in.  We don't get to see it though.   ):

The Eyrie also for being picturesque.  If I were Lord of the Vale, I would simply move my seat of power (in times of peace) elsewhere and rent out the Eyrie as a Honeymoon or vacation hotel to the Lords and wealthy people of the world.  I'd make sure and market what I had as I used the Knights of the Vale to go to tournaments far and wide.

1. Harrenhal pre-burning, with it being the biggest castle in Westeros and large and fertile land, central position in southern Westeros and its next to lake which makes it good lake house :D

2. Dragonstone, a nice island home, a volacano (always a plus) ,seemingly the best island fortress in Westeros and in a good position for trade, also for the magic

3. Hightower, next to the Citadel, the Starry Sept and a cleaner city than King's Landing 

1. The Hightower. Mysterious history, insane amount of wealth and by far the best city in Westeros. 

2. Casterly Rock. Unlimited gold, pretty hard to take, coastal. 

3. Highgarden or Storm's end for the obvious reasons. 

1. Casterly Rock as its built into a mountain, it being so high gives you quite a view of the surrounding countryside from so high up like a modern day skyscraper. Plus given the Lannister's obsession and abundance of gold, I bet the inside is really sumptuous compared to any other castle.
  2. Highgarden because from what we know its very beautiful and lovely. It has a great climate, surrounded by lush and beautiful gardens, canals to ride gondolas in. Plus the place is the ideal hub in Westeros for pleasure and recreation as it has all kinds of entertainment available such as minstrels playing the harp or paid poets reciting beautiful poetry.
  3. Sunspear Has a very warm climate year round, its more of a beautiful eastern palace than a fortified stronghold. Like Highgarden it probably has its own royal gardens with exotic fruits such as pomegranates. Its located next to the sea and has the Water Gardens.

The Hightower, as you get a truly impregnable fortress inside a sophisticated, wealthy city. Casterly Rock is tough, has mines, and a secret port. The Wolf's Den gives you the richest city in the North and the benevolent protection of House Stark to boot.

Also: I always thought the Eyrie seemed massively overrated. It's a logistical nightmare to give supplies, which is why it's closed for the Winter, and your enemies can just keep you bottled up inside, arguably more easily than in other castles due to the single access point and small size of the castle. If making your castle unconquerable also makes it strategically isolated, what purpose does it serve?

Archived