Ancient history and distant future of the world?

A large part of me is more curious as to what happened well before ASOIAF, so we can better anticipate the future. Can we expect a migration to another continent?

1) Dany has dragons. Her priority has been regaining Westeros; however, what if a greater discovery is on the horizon ? The dragons can cross great expanses, and offer some security in facing possible dangers.

2) Perhaps our "heroes" are unable to fend off another Long Night (despite best efforts), and only the lucky ones can flee elsewhere? Perhaps specifically some surviving Starks, Targs, Reeds- those with "ancient"/ magical bloodlines?

3) Valyrians could not prevent The Doom: perhaps Dany's dragons are not meant to conquer the Westerosi, but are a means of escaping and migrating elsewhere?

4) Is it possible that the "unknown" worlds are, in fact, more advanced than Westeros? Or hold ruins of a more "advanced" (technologically) culture? 

5) I don't know if this idea has been introduced in another thread (I'm new here), but could we have a Planet of the Apes-type of world? This is Earth- maybe millions or billions of years later? 

**I also apologize if my ideas are a bit scattered. I'm trying to write on my phone and each letter is excruciatingly slow to load. Auto correct is somehow helpful and unhelpful  :)) **

Maybe it's just fan fiction or spin-off stuff, but I'm looking forward to any input! 

*** Another thought: Could the search for a greyscale cure compel Dany to think outside of Westeros and Essos? Perhaps discovering a cure could be a bonus in fleeing for their lives?

I posited this idea in another post, but don't know how to link (I'm not very tech-saving), but what about the discovery of a land-bridge, or learning their world is round, as many characters indicate it's flat ("edges of the earth," for example, but that could just be turn of phrase. 

Does anyone have textual reference to a common known flat or round-earth? 

The North could connect to the "eastern" part of the unknown world, or perhaps we can discover a new continent that's never even been sketched on a map?

1 hour ago, Reisendame said:

A large part of me is more curious as to what happened well before ASOIAF, so we can better anticipate the future. Can we expect a migration to another continent?

I don't think so. We have only two books left, perharps a quick look on north of Sothoryos is possible.

1 hour ago, Reisendame said:

4) Is it possible that the "unknown" worlds are, in fact, more advanced than Westeros? Or hold ruins of a more "advanced" (technologically) culture? 

It's actualy very likely. Compared with most of the Free Cities Westeros is a backward place, and there are mentions of ancient black stone buildings in Essos and Sothoryos.

53 minutes ago, Reisendame said:

Could the search for a greyscale cure compel Dany to think outside of Westeros and Essos? Perhaps discovering a cure could be a bonus in fleeing for their lives?

Perharps by accident. As far as we know not even the valyrians of old managed to find a cure for it, and they had the greatest civilisation to has ever existed and the resources to research it.

57 minutes ago, Reisendame said:

Does anyone have textual reference to a common known flat or round-earth? 

The North could connect to the "eastern" part of the unknown world, or perhaps we can discover a new continent that's never even been sketched on a map?

Nothing in the books, but George mentioned that the educated maesters probably know that the world is round

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Trade_with_Asshai

The northern land bridge is possibly. But I don't know if we would ever see it.

1 hour ago, The Hoare said:

I don't think so. We have only two books left, perharps a quick look on north of Sothoryos is possible.

It's actualy very likely. Compared with most of the Free Cities Westeros is a backward place, and there are mentions of ancient black stone buildings in Essos and Sothoryos.

Perharps by accident. As far as we know not even the valyrians of old managed to find a cure for it, and they had the greatest civilisation to has ever existed and the resources to research it.

Nothing in the books, but George mentioned that the educated maesters probably know that the world is round

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Trade_with_Asshai

The northern land bridge is possibly. But I don't know if we would ever see it.

I agree that we're not likely to see these things in the last two books. It still feels like there are so many possibilities in this world GRRM created! Endless, really. 

If this story ends with Jon + Dany (and crew) defeating the White Walkers (even with casualties), what happens next? Thus far, the story has been too compelling to wrap up neatly in a bow, or without new information, or some great "reveal" that's completely unexpected. 

I wonder if there was some mystical ("Godly"?) force behind the Doom of Valyria (other than a random volcanic eruption). Were Valyrians wiped out for a "reason"? Should the Targs have disappeared right along with them? Timeline-wise, the Doom wasn't that long ago. 

It reminds me of the Gaia Hypothesis: The Earth is a living, breathing organism and will do everything it can to survive, even if man must be wiped out- one region at a time.

If Westeros, as a whole, cannot be "saved"- perhaps only The North can survive a winter/ war that the southron regions cannot withstand. That will help maintain the creed that a Winterfell must always have a Stark.

Maybe Dany and her dragons are meant to return to Essos/ her Valyria home. Old Valyria is uninhabitable and dangerous, but a cure for greyscale could change everything there, too. 

My thoughts may be totally out there, but I think the story is greater than Westeros (and what we've seen of Essos). Maybe an airplane or spaceship will show up :-O (Kidding but anything is poss :) )

On 8-7-2017 at 9:43 PM, Reisendame said:

5) I don't know if this idea has been introduced in another thread (I'm new here), but could we have a Planet of the Apes-type of world? This is Earth- maybe millions or billions of years later? 

as to 4: Thats unlikely, as a more advanced culture woud likely spread out for the sake of trade and aquiring goods not native to it with the means they have.

as to 5: Quite possible. It's an option in another thread where we have been discussing "strange foodstuffs" that are present in Westeros, more specificly stuff that in our history was native to the America's and only arrived in Europe after colonization, such goods being for example Turkey's and Pumpkins. There is a possibillety that those goods were perhaps introduced to Westeros by a ocean going civilization that has vanished since.

Archived