Women in Unconventional Roles/Jobs (Minor Characters)

Traverys

I think Alyse Ladybright would not be Lord treasurer if she was in say, King's Landing. Donnish law gives women equal inheritance rights and Dorne is more advanced in gender equality than the rest of Westeros. I'm not sure what the exact quote is but in AFFC cersei wishes she could appoint Taena Merryweather as her had rather than her husband Lord Orton Merryweather but opts against it because she is a woman. 

In terms of other characters I would say Genna Lannister. I know she was wedded off at a very young age but she is more masculine and dominant over her husband, she tells him what to do more often than not. This might just be to show Lannister dominance over the Freys but I would say this is roles reversed in a medieval marriage. 

Pretty Meris.

A Westerosi - like Brienne the Beauty.

Has been raped by her comrades... like Danny Flint. Though left alive - heavily mutilated.

And the Windblown, unlike Watch and Meris´ previous company, are accepting her in a somewhat responsible role.

Would Meris meet Brienne?

Who would you bet on in a single combat, Brienne vs. Meris?

One of the Princesses in the Tower (sisters of Baelor) served as the de facto Master of Coin, at some point. 

Lady Danelle Lothston led her retainers personally in the field, dressed in black armor.

Evidently, there is a "Girl General" who leads a troop of sell-swords outside of Mereen.

There is that Summer Islander woman who commands ships' archers on a trading vessel.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:22 AM, LordStark said:

I think Alyse Ladybright would not be Lord treasurer if she was in say, King's Landing. Donnish law gives women equal inheritance rights and Dorne is more advanced in gender equality than the rest of Westeros. 

Agreed. I'd imagine that House Ladybright is probably very wealthy and/or a big mercantile house, so the position of Court Treasurer happens to go to the leader of House Ladybright happens to be, which this generation happens to be Lady Alyse.

The Ladybrights seem to favorites of House Martell, in any event - one of Arianne's attendants/ladies-in-waiting  is "Jayne Ladybright" 

After reading the Jaime chapters that take place outside of Riverrun, I'd like to throw Genna Lannister into the mix. It's because she clearly says one thing and does quite another.

“Well, I would never presume to tell you how to fight a war. I know my place . . . unlike your sister." (p. 566)

Then we have Jaime's war council outside of Riverrun where:

"Lady Genna claimed her stool with a look that dared any man there to question her presence. None did." (p. 640)

Granted, she did not interfere with war council or presume to dictate strategy, she did not remain completely silent. Catelyn Stark occasionally toed this line, but the women's personalities couldn't be further from different... Actually I'll have to make a separate post about Catelyn Stark next in this topic.

I'm on the fence about Genna: Can she sit with the men because (1) she is a Lannister, (2) her personality/will as a person intimidates others, or (3) a little of both? The fact her husband appears to be so incompetent and weak probably also gives her power. She is hardly the only lady wife who runs the show, but in her case it's public knowledge (I assume). She allows her husband to keep his dignity (staying, more or less, loyal to him) but she's quick to silence him when he's gone on too much. I'm sure everyone is thankful for that. Also, she and her family still reside in Casterly Rock, so perhaps that also plays into the balance of power between husband and wife.

Regardless, Genna Lannister is a unconventional Westerosi woman.

Archived