What does the Night King REALLY want?

Jaehaerys Stark

From a strictly show standpoint, when do you think we will really get to find out the true intentions of the Night King?  There is obviously a huge difference in the show's Night King, and the books Night's King. So in looking only at how the show approached the character, I'm wondering when the big reveal will come.  There are only 13 episodes left on the show, split between 2 season.  There is SO much information that has yet to be revealed on the show, yet we still have the upcoming great war between man and the WW.  We have only seen how the Night King came to be, and some of his powers, but there is definitely ALOT that we don't yet know.  Like what do they do in the Land of Always Winter, and what made them come back now after all these years. I'm wondering if they will dedicate an episode to revealing more about the WW and what their true intentions are, or if they are just going to go with the implied "They want to wipe out men" and leave it at that. I personally would be very disappointed with the latter...

What do you folks think? 

24 minutes ago, Jaehaerys Stark said:

From a strictly show standpoint, when do you think we will really get to find out the true intentions of the Night King?  There is obviously a huge difference in the show's Night King, and the books Night's King. So in looking only at how the show approached the character, I'm wondering when the big reveal will come.  There are only 13 episodes left on the show, split between 2 season.  There is SO much information that has yet to be revealed on the show, yet we still have the upcoming great war between man and the WW.  We have only seen how the Night King came to be, and some of his powers, but there is definitely ALOT that we don't yet know.  Like what do they do in the Land of Always Winter, and what made them come back now after all these years. I'm wondering if they will dedicate an episode to revealing more about the WW and what their true intentions are, or if they are just going to go with the implied "They want to wipe out men" and leave it at that. I personally would be very disappointed with the latter...

What do you folks think? 

Hi 

sorry I Know this is not the subject but I saw your name and thought u could help!

Do u Know if there is a thread here dedicated To Jon Snow ?

i m New in this forum ,I don't Know if thread like this exist...thank you and sorry To interrupt 

Depends on what you're looking for.  Use the search box in the top right of the page and search for Jon Snow.  It will come up with all mentions of him.  Go through and see if you find what you're looking for.  If not, start a new thread on him!  ;-)  Welcome to the boards.  Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Jaehaerys Stark said:

What do you folks think? 

I too have really wondered about that. So far Night King is just the generic scary threat, like its taken for granted that he wants to destroy humans for, well, we don't know why except for what the Children told Bran about the past. And since it was left uncertain whether or not the Children are all killed off now, will it even matter that they created the white walkers? If the Others were originally humans, as shown in the show, will that matter to the endgame, or was it just eye candy for the moment?

If GRRM really did tell D&D the general outline of the end game, we may get lucky and the Others will be explained in some way, as it seems highly unlikely that they are merely props in the book.

If Bran is adopting a whole slew of north of the wall plotlines/characters from the intended books, maybe we will see some of what GRRM intended in a very simplified way. They did create the timeloop thing in the show, so will that somehow lead to an explanation for the Others in future episodes? Or was that just more eye candy and what matters is Jon's parentage for the show?

Yeah, I too would be extremely disappointed but not surprised if NK and the Others are just there to provide the enemy for the chosen 'heroes' of the show. And will of course be defeated, sigh...

I think we will know more about what drives them and their intentions so that the main characters can defeat them. I hope that they don t plan to end it with jon snow fighting the NK or danny doing a kamikaze attack on her dragon.

I at least hope they make winterfell and the stark blood important in some way... but as the show ignores as much magic as possible that isn t related to danny or dragons...

If the Others are just 'the great other', they are nothing but plot fuel.

The only way for the Others to matter is if they are not just linked to the CoTF but to the Starks.

Since GRRM is not a (totally) shit writer, it follows that there is a definite connection between the Others and the Starks.

Witness Bran's most recent vision (in the books).

1 hour ago, Aemon Targaryen said:

If the Others are just 'the great other', they are nothing but plot fuel.

The only way for the Others to matter is if they are not just linked to the CoTF but to the Starks.

Since GRRM is not a (totally) shit writer, it follows that there is a definite connection between the Others and the Starks.

Witness Bran's most recent vision (in the books).

I think there are heaps of possibilities in the books, its the show that seems so opaque. I mean, unless they introduce a bunch of new characters, how exactly can the show portray for us more about the Others and what they want and their contemporary connection with the Starks? If the books will de-otherize the Others, how exactly could that happen in the show? Especially in the relatively short amount of time left? Will it all be Bran visions? Seems very lame and lazy, but not implausible I guess.

It seems like we are all in agreement that the WW HAVE to be more than just empty enemies of man.  More than just simple antagonists for the show.  I feel like the show has done so much to keep them relevant in the big picture, never letting you forget they are out there, and that they're coming.  So what exactly do they want?  Why now?  I can only assume that D&D have a big reveal planned.  I would even be ok with an episode dedicated to them just to explain it all.  As long as at the end I felt satisfied with their purpose.  I mean, we don't even truly know if they are bad or not.  We assume so, but their behavior on the show is different than in the books.  In the books, there are descriptions of what man interprets that their speech and laughter sounds like, albeit described "as sounding like "the cracking of ice on a winter lake", and their laughter as being as sharp as icicles".  There is obviously more to them than we realize.  There just doesn't seem like a lot f time left in the show to learn all of that,  I have a bad feeling D&D are just going to leave them as silent enemies in the coming war.  Which would be stupid...

well considering that   it seemed implied that they were created just to fight humans. Maybe it's like an instinct where they have to because they were "designed" to.  Also they may have been buried under the ice or something or maybe have been waiting until they built up their numbers. Given what we saw at crasters we saw that white walkers come from humans and are then turned into white walkers. Also I think what will happen is the night king will be defeated in some way and then they will go back to whereever they were and wait another ten thousand years to return and it will be a cycle.

I don't think they were buried under ice.  Both the books and show mention the Land of Always Winter being the home of the WW.  We see a glimpse of it from a distance in the shows, but nothing more.  No mention of what they do there while they are there.  I'm sure the future books will go into it, but I want to see it on the show.  I want to know what they do when they are not marching towards the Wall, and I want to know why they chose now to come back into the mix.  These are the things that need to be explained. There definitely seems to be a chain of command, i.e. NK at the top, WW that follow him, then wights below them.  Also, we only see like 5-7 WW at Hardhomme.  But we know Craster has had more son's than that over the years, so where are the other WW at?  Are they immortal unless otherwise killed? What would they do with the world if man was wiped out?  So many questions.  I could go on and on...

On the plus side, the show has created openings for further exploration. We could get really lucky. On the down side, they have done that with way too many other plotlines only to abandon intriguing threads in favor of nonsense or something simplistic. I suspect if it is the various romantic entanglements that are going to get attention in the remaining episodes, plus the epic battles, the Others will end up just being plot fuel. 

They have to provide something much more than what they have currently given in 6 seasons. They can't have this looming threat for 6 years, mentions of how they've been gone for thousands of years and so on without a purpose. D&D have failed in multiple plotlines (DORNE!) but this...this can't happen! I'll be just as livid as everyone on this thread. I too have so many questions....is the NK a Stark? Do they actually think? Or are they just medieval robots who are programmed to kill the First Men or all humans? I'm guessing not, since they are seeking revenge against the COTF for creating them.  Like you said, we really don't have that much time left with just 13 episodes. And I know they said season 8 episodes will be really long to justify the shorter season....but if they are the main antagonist to our many protagonists, we need to understand their motives to truly appreciate the Great War to come. We know how GRRM loves to create complex characters. He doesn't want you to see one person solely as a hero or solely as evil.  He wants you to see them as humans with faults and all. Is this also true of the NK? I'd say yes strictly speaking on a GRRM perspective and I hope D&D got that message as well.

I just rewatched the show and it was very interesting to see that they put that line about Dothraki thinking that there is a dead plant that kill the grass and end the world, or something like that :P If I am not mistaken, in book 1 Jorah tells Dany that in Asshai there is a plant or grass like this... I kept thinking about the theory that the stallion that mounts the world, Azor Ahai and Tptwp are the same person (or persons, a couple). So, in my opinion he wants Death, as in no life at all, not only no humans, but a lifeless planeto. I hope this makes sense.

52 minutes ago, Jon Snow Nothing said:

I just rewatched the show and it was very interesting to see that they put that line about Dothraki thinking that there is a dead plant that kill the grass and end the world, or something like that :P If I am not mistaken, in book 1 Jorah tells Dany that in Asshai there is a plant or grass like this... I kept thinking about the theory that the stallion that mounts the world, Azor Ahai and Tptwp are the same person (or persons, a couple). So, in my opinion he wants Death, as in no life at all, not only no humans, but a lifeless planeto. I hope this makes sense.

I, too, have wondered about that Dorthraki belief. It is a tall grass with a white top and overtakes all other grass. This is how the Dothraki believe the world will end.

Archived