Football: Silly season

Mark Antony

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Oh my Courtois pen had me in stitches :lol: .

I had a feeling he would step up and take one, as I've seen videos of him scoring great free kicks in training, but that penalty was horrendous.

What did everyone think of the ABBA penalty format? 

I know it may sound like sour grapes coming from a Chelsea fan but I really didn't see the point in it. Tbh, I would go as far as to say the old format is just as fair as the new one.

It's rare that a keeper would take a pen, but as soon as Courtois missed, he had to face two penalties in a row with his confidence already knocked from ballooning his own penalty.

There are always going to be arguments over which set up is the fairest and which doesn't give the opponent an advantage, but the simple fact is scoring your penalties will always give your team an advantage and missing them will always give your team a disadvantage and put pressure on your next taker. 

To me, there was no need to change from the old format.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Oh my Courtois pen had me in stitches :lol: 

No he didn't so yeah you're probably right and he wont be getting a chance. But it will be frustrating when Lovrens out with a stubbed toe and we have Klavan starting games. 

Might be frustrating even when Lovren hasn't stubbed a toe.

Agree on the ABBA format. Just confusing and weird. Penalties are a toss-up anyway. Just leave them.

Thought the change to the ABBA format was a change for the sake of change. I don't think it really fixed anything. Arsenal didn't win the penalties because of that, they won because Coutois and Morata missed the target while they slotted all of theirs home. 

Well, guys, seems like the aftereffects of Neymar to PSG are finally coming into play.

Sky Sports reporting that Dembele wants to move to Barca and is waiting on Borussia Dortmund and Barca agreeing a few, which could be upwards of £90m.

They're also saying Coutinho wants to move to Barca if Liverpool let him, but isn't likely to force a move. Sounds a bit like the David De Gea and Man United / Real Madrid situation. Happy enough to stay, but wouldn't mind leaving, either.

Despite what some on here say, I believe Neymar is so good Barca will have to replace him twice. I don't think if Dembele goes there it means no move for Coutinho or Dybala or whoever. They got nearly £200m for Neymar, they'll have to fork that out to replace him.

I don't think Barca are going to get all of Dybala, Coutinho, Dembele and Seri, unless they manage to clear out some of the dead wood as well (Vermaelen, Turan, Munir and one of Rafinha or Gomes). Signing Dybala would likely mean a change of formation since he does not play on the LW - a 4-3-2-1 with Suarez and Dybala up top and Messi in behind or Messi up front with Dybala in behind. I think the primary targets for Barca this window should be Dembele (LW), Coutinho (#8) and Seri (#6). That would be good business if they manage to pull it off as well as bring in some money and alleviating the wage bill further by clearing out the dead wood. That leaves enough money on hand to go for Dybala next year.

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think Barca are going to get all of Dybala, Coutinho, Dembele and Seri, unless they manage to clear out some of the dead wood as well (Vermaelen, Turan, Munir and one of Rafinha or Gomes). Signing Dybala would likely mean a change of formation since he does not play on the LW - a 4-3-2-1 with Suarez and Dybala up top and Messi in behind or Messi up front with Dybala in behind. I think the primary targets for Barca this window should be Dembele (LW), Coutinho (#8) and Seri (#6). That would be good business if they manage to pull it off as well as bring in some money and alleviating the wage bill further by clearing out the dead wood. That leaves enough money on hand to go for Dybala next year.

The problem with a lot of that dead wood is that these players are on a well paid contract at one of the best clubs in Europe. These players are pretty lucky to be at Barca, particularly players like Vermaelen, Arda and Gomes, so if they were to move, it would be a downgrade in wage and most definitely a downgrade in club. That can become problematic when trying to shift surplus players. Arsenal are experiencing exactly that problem with the likes of Chambers, Jenkinson, Debuchy etc.

I'd agree it is unlikely they could pinch Dybala off Juve this summer, but making a move would immediately unsettle him and have him thinking about leaving. As soon as Barca make their initial move, it's hard for a player to resist. Coutinho is the prime example of that, at the moment. He seems to love Liverpool and is happy enough to stay, if they don't sell him. But Barca has already planted the seed. If he doesn't go now, he will go eventually. Same with Dybala, if they make a move.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I'm praying Arsenal clears out the deadwood and gets Seri. He's so good and would be a perfect compliment for Xhaka.

Virgil van Dijk: Southampton defender hands in transfer request - BBC

Now the real drama begins.I don't see him playing for Southampton after this.Question now is to whom will they sell him?

Van Dijk's Full Statement

‘It is with regret that I can confirm that I have today handed in a transfer request to leave Southampton Football Club.

‘Unfortunately I feel I have no alternative after I was given notice of the Club’s intention to impose a disciplinary sanction against me of a fine equivalent to 2 weeks wages. I will be appealing what I feel to be an unjustified sanction and their inability to follow the correct disciplinary protocol in due course.

‘Over the past six months I have held numerous discussions with representatives of the board, the former manager Claude Puel as well as the new manager Mauricio Pellegrino to inform them all of my desire to leave the club in search of a new challenge.

‘I am incredibly ambitious and want to achieve as much as I possibly can to fulfil my potential in what is a very short career as a professional footballer. I want to play European football again and challenge for major honours and as such I would like Southampton to consider the interest in me from top clubs should it still exist.

‘I have been left frustrated by the club’s position that I am not for sale and am disappointed that enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed.

‘The period of time that I have just spent injured and unable to play has put a number of things into perspective and made me realise just how important it is to take major opportunities should they arise.

‘I have consistently relayed my feelings to senior management at Southampton in what I believed to be private and personal conversations. Disappointingly, these conversations have regularly found their way into the media.
I would also like to make clear that I have never once refused to train. I can confirm that I was asked about my frame of mind and for all of the reasons mentioned above I was open and honest in saying that I did not feel I was in a settled mindset given the circumstances.

‘Following this conversation the manager explained that he only wanted players who he felt were 100% committed to Southampton and told me I would therefore have to train away from the first team.

‘As a proud professional I am insulted by the suggestion that it was me who refused to train and so feel it is important to point out the true version of events.

‘I had very much hoped to retain the good relationship I’ve always enjoyed with everyone at the club, especially the fans, but unfortunately in light of everything that’s happened this has now been seriously affected.

‘I would like to make clear that I have nothing but gratitude to everyone at Southampton for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League.

‘However, the time for me to move on is now and I hope to be able to work with the club to find the best resolution to suit all parties.’

5 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The problem with a lot of that dead wood is that these players are on a well paid contract at one of the best clubs in Europe. These players are pretty lucky to be at Barca, particularly players like Vermaelen, Arda and Gomes, so if they were to move, it would be a downgrade in wage and most definitely a downgrade in club. That can become problematic when trying to shift surplus players. Arsenal are experiencing exactly that problem with the likes of Chambers, Jenkinson, Debuchy etc.

It isn't going to be easy but Barca will have to find a way to clear the decks. There are a few too many passengers in the squad. While £200m is alot, Barca are bent over a barrel atm. With a €32m deal for Inigo Martinez close to completion, signing Dembele+Coutinho as well would use up all of that Neymar money which makes clearing out the dead weight even more important. Think Barca need to wrap up deals for Dembele and Seri ASAP because negotiating for Coutinho is going to be the most difficult and expensive.

I'd agree it is unlikely they could pinch Dybala off Juve this summer, but making a move would immediately unsettle him and have him thinking about leaving. As soon as Barca make their initial move, it's hard for a player to resist. Coutinho is the prime example of that, at the moment. He seems to love Liverpool and is happy enough to stay, if they don't sell him. But Barca has already planted the seed. If he doesn't go now, he will go eventually. Same with Dybala, if they make a move.

I think Dybala is already well aware of their interest. No point in Barca trying to further unsettle the player now though as that would likely result in Juve digging in their heels and becoming very difficult to negotiate with when the time comes.

17 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Well, guys, seems like the aftereffects of Neymar to PSG are finally coming into play.

Sky Sports reporting that Dembele wants to move to Barca and is waiting on Borussia Dortmund and Barca agreeing a few, which could be upwards of £90m.

They're also saying Coutinho wants to move to Barca if Liverpool let him, but isn't likely to force a move. Sounds a bit like the David De Gea and Man United / Real Madrid situation. Happy enough to stay, but wouldn't mind leaving, either.

Despite what some on here say, I believe Neymar is so good Barca will have to replace him twice. I don't think if Dembele goes there it means no move for Coutinho or Dybala or whoever. They got nearly £200m for Neymar, they'll have to fork that out to replace him.

I agree. I think they'll do more than just one player. If Dembele is really their choice I think it's a sound one given the options.

He seems to be the most available of the replacements. The big question is, will they add Countinho in addition to Dembele?

12 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

The big question is, will they add Countinho in addition to Dembele?

I think so, but I don't think Barca see Coutinho as a direct replacement for Neymar; Dembele fits that role more.

Coutinho, for me, was always better for Liverpool when he played a bit further back in the midfield, where there was space for him to come onto the ball and thread a pass or take a shot. I don't see him as a forward like Dembele or Neymar. Perhaps Coutinho is the man they think can finally do a job like Iniesta has done for Barca.

Wish we weren't playing first! But I'll take it. Can't believe the summer is up. 

Iwobi looked pretty good against Chelsea. Really want to see him play in the front three with Lacazette and Ozil 

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

Wish we weren't playing first! But I'll take it. Can't believe the summer is up. 

Iwobi looked pretty good against Chelsea. Really want to see him play in the front three with Lacazette and Ozil 

I've put Lacazette in all my fantasy football teams. Thought he looked really sharp against Chelsea; he was brilliant during the move that ended with him ratting the post. Can see him slotting into the premier league perfectly. 

Yes, this is coming from a Chelsea fan...

With this whole van Dijk shenanigans going on, I really can't help to wonder, why Chelsea would need him. They are really stocked on quality CBs already. I keep mentioning Andreas Christensen here, I know, but he is a young centre back who so often gets happily ignored when people talk about Chelsea's defense. And he would add good bit of quality to most football teams.

Anyway. Another bit from the rumor mill. Apparently Hannover wants Woodburn and/or Kent from Liverpool on loan. The reasoning being, that Liverpool's offense is loaded with a lot of good players, so that they might not get as many matches there, while Woodburn would have a realistic chance of being a first team regular for Hannover.

Edit: I think the manager roulette will be getting a prominent name by the end of the season. As I think Ancelotti will be sacked by Bayern at the end of the season (maybe even before that).

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I'd prefer Sanchez myself.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

With this whole van Dijk shenanigans going on, I really can't help to wonder, why Chelsea would need him. They are really stocked on quality CBs already. I keep mentioning Andreas Christensen here, I know, but he is a young centre back who so often gets happily ignored when people talk about Chelsea's defense. And he would add good bit of quality to most football teams.

I agree, as a Chelsea fan that there are much more important areas that we need to strengthen. In particular, centre mid after the ridiculous sale of Matic to Man United and both wing back areas as we only have Moses and Alonso and Azpilicueta to cover for the two of them. That, however, doesn't mean if a quality player like VVD becomes available at CB we should go for him.

Yes, he would likely be best placed in the centre of our back three, which would be incredibly tough for him as David Luiz has been brilliant there, but I feel Chelsea need to change things up. They need to be able to go to a back four some games, because 343 won't work forever. 

Christensen had a great two years on loan in Germany, but I get the feeling from preseason that Conte doesn't rank him as highly as Luiz, Azpilicueta, Cahill and Rudiger. It will be interesting to see what becomes of him, for I had high hopes for him, especially after his first year in Germany when teams like Barca and Bayern became linked with him.

Really disappointing half from United. Although the Real Madrid goal looked to be offside, they still deserve to be in front and probably by more than just the one goal. Our build-up play is practically nonexistent and we have resorted to playing hopeful long balls. So far it looks like we are still a long way short of being able to compete with Europe's elite. Mourinho really needs to alter his tactics and take some risks in attack when playing the big boys. Sitting deep and hitting long balls is not good enough.

Archived