Football: Silly season

Mark Antony

56 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Not sure why Mustafi is on the bench if he can't play

Footballers are on the bench all the time when they're not 100% - read *any* book and you'll know. 

Also, Monreal is a first choice CB in the back three ( and he's excellent there) . Now I'm wondering how many AFC games you've actually seen. 

Well that was entertaining.

Some controversy with Ozil handling the ball in the lead up to the Arsenal equaliser as well. I'm not sure about the substitutions Leicester made though, ok Arsenal weren't defending well but it's hard to see how opening the game up would be to Leicester's benefit.

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

Footballers are on the bench all the time when they're not 100% - read *any* book and you'll know. 

Also, Monreal is a first choice CB in the back three ( and he's excellent there) . Now I'm wondering how many AFC games you've actually seen. 

He is a first choice CB, just not the center CB. He's the LCB in that formation.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

He is a first choice CB, just not the center CB. He's the LCB in that formation.

Yeah, I know. I just don't think Mustafi was 100%, which is why he didn't start. I also don't think he's had that much of a preseason? 

Edit: Nevermind

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Thanks, I would never have realised. He could of course have started despite not being 100% and been brought off when he started to fade to at least get some use out of a senior centre-back.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

As Mexal said, he's a first choice left CB and is usually accompanied by at least one experienced centre-back, rather than another natural LB and a 21 year old making his 10th Premier League appearance. Whilst Monreal and Kolasinac defended pretty well individually given the situation, I don't think the former lead the defence well which is perfectly understandable.

I watch Arsenal a decent amount for a team I have no affiliation to in one of the two leagues I watch most often as a neutral. Does that make my opinion invalid?

16 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Coutinho's their second choice after Verratti apparently.

Now he's put a transfer request in, I'd prefer we just sold him. Move quickly and hopefully we can replace him; maybe with a silly-money bid for Alli or Eriksen or something, perhaps that long vaunted move for The Ox. Certainly we'd be able to offer attractive wages to the Spurs dudes.

Hell no on Ox. In which universe can he even be considered an option for Coutinho's replacement?

Regarding Alli and Eriksen, I'd love seeing them in Liverpool but I'm not sure Spurs would be willing to let them go.

14 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Such a waste having Kolasinac at centre back. He looks very restless at not being able to get forward much. Also, I wish the commentators could pronounce his name correctly.

If we're to get technical, I'm pretty sure only people in UK who can pronounce his name correctly are immigrants from the former Yugoslavia countries. ;)

Moreno starts for Liverpool. That's interesting, he was very good against Bayern but he's had good games before. He's always had the natural attributes to be a good player but the question is whether he can be consistently solid defensively. I'm not entirely convinced but seems to have persuaded Klopp to give him another chance, we'll see how it goes.

6 minutes ago, lmanion said:

we are looking utter shite at the back still especially set pieces

The defence was half expected, but you're getting dinged in midfield too, that's a real concern. Can hasn't panned out nearly as well as I thought he might.

In fairness, Silva seems to have turned Watford into a real organised pressing outfit very fast.

yeah can is poor atm doing nothing with or without the ball and firmino seems to be giving the ball away when he gets near it. Can just lets cleverly cruise into space to set the second up. Need some big improvement

Not much, if any, improvement from Liverpool over last season. Yeah, they've come back well in this game but the same old problems are still there. The midfield have not looked good either without Coutinho and Lallana - the former could yet be sold and the latter is out for a while yet. Add in that Hendo's foot problems are likely to keep him out at times during the season as well. With the added European fixtures, this Liverpool squad does not look deep enough.

Archived