Football: Silly season

Mark Antony

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Latest rumors has Chelsea wanting Oxlaid-Chamberlain for 35m. I'd do that deal. I don't see Chamberlain improving much. He has moments of brilliance but his football IQ seems to be stuck in neutral. You'll see him make 2-3 great moves then screw up the final ball. It has happened so much over the last few years that it's hard for me to believe it'll get better. It could just be Wenger and that Conte would bring out his best. If that's the case then good luck to him in his future.

It's strange that he wants to leave. This will be his seventh season at Arsenal and he still hasn't cemented his place in the starting XI, nor has he established what his best position is. It would make more sense for him to want to leave Arsenal if it was to go to a club where he could get more minutes. Moving to Chelsea, he would face the same issues he has at Arsenal.

Right now, though, I'd take just about anyone at Stamford Bridge, so come along, Ox! Come along, Danny Drinkwater! Come along, Stewart Downing...

Yeah, we should really do a bit more cleaning house in this transfer window. The Arsenal squad is still bloated (we've got 12 first team backs, for goodness sake...maybe Wenger is stocking up for the injury crisis) and 33 in the first team squad overall, which is a bit overkill.

I would be all for selling some of them (Ox, Debuchy, Jenkinson/Gibbs, Joel Campbell, and perhaps even Walcott and Wilshere) and getting a single really top, young player in like Lemar or somesuch. He still has to think ahead 12 months to when we'll almost certainly be minus Sanchez and possibly minus Ozil.

Premier League clubs to vote on having the transfer window close in the week before the start of the 2018/2019 season. The Premier League would be acting unilaterally here so it would mean that players can still be sold to overseas clubs until the August 31 deadline but EPL clubs would not be able to sign anyone once the season gets underway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/14/transfer-revolution-window-shut-premier-league-season-starts/

Archived