Mark Antony

Football: Silly season

435 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

TAA and Moreno did alright as well. TAA was involved in Watford's second goal, but offers a lot more going forward than Clyne, and his set piece delivery was so good we actually looked threatening from corners. Big fan of his, think he'll improve massively this season.

Alexander-Arnold wasn't massively culpable for the second goal, it'd be nice if his clearance hadn't deflected back in front of goal but it wasn't a shocking piece of defending. At least he got to the first ball. Moreno did ok but he was still lunging in at every opportunity, he's quick enough to often get away with it but he's not always going to. I'm not convinced he's turned himself into a good defender while he's been out of the team based on this evidence.

In fairness to the defence while the defending wasn't good of the three goals conceded I'd say the only the first one was really their fault. Nobody bothered tracking a runner from midfield for the second goal and Wijnaldum was the one at fault for the third. That's why overall I'm not particularly convinced getting Van Dijk, or whoever, is going to turn it around and suddenly give us a good defence. Ok, getting a better player wouldn't hurt but it's the system more than the personnel which is the problem for me.

I agree that it wasn't a howler, but he was undeniably involved, and I seem to remember him getting skinned once or twice as well. But he's so young and has time to learn, and I think there's few better for nurturing young talent than Jurgen.

Hopefully we'll be better defensively against Hoffenheim.

Frank de Boer has a big job on his hands at Palace. They were rubbish yesterday and looked like relegation candidates, being completely outplayed at home by a newly promoted side. They do have a more than decent squad on paper though but de Boer really needs to sort out the defending.

33 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Frank de Boer has a big job on his hands at Palace. They were rubbish yesterday and looked like relegation candidates, being completely outplayed at home by a newly promoted side. They do have a more than decent squad on paper though but de Boer really needs to sort out the defending.

Yeah, although I do suspect Huddersfield will surprise a few teams early season with how composed their midfield is, judging by yesterday. Philip Billing looks really good, they really had control of the middle of the park.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Liverpool conceded two goals on corners and I sure am stressing over it. :lol: 

Yea, but Arsenal gave up the least amount of set piece goals last season. I tend to think it's an area that can be fixed by using our starting CBs.

Posted (edited)

Newcastle have acquitted themselves quite well so far. Spurs have not really troubled them defensively while Newcastle have created some promising attacking situations of their own. Really unfortunate to have lost both Dummett and Lejeune to injury. Probably a good time to play Spurs as well since they tend to be slow starters.

ETA. and a moment of sheer idiocy by Shelvey.

Edited by Consigliere

Nice one Shelvey. Muppet.

What the fuck was Shelvey thinking? He wasn't even angry!

Decent effort from Newcastle until Shelvey decided to commit harakiri. However I don't really see too much in the side that's going to get them the wins they need against lower half teams. You can see why Benitez is apparently frustrated.

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

What the fuck was Shelvey thinking? He wasn't even angry!

Right in front of the ref, too. Now Spurs have scored, it feels like game over.

Anyway, the Chelsea fan has finally resurfaced. How long does everyone give Conte before he is sacked/walks?

I have a feeling that if Roman doesn't open up his wallet and sign at least two players, Conte will leave by the end of the window. Yesterday was a shambles. The fact Boga started should prove to Abramovich Conte needs more men. 

Smaller squad this year than we had last year, yet we had no European football.

Oh, and Davies kills off the Geordies.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I have a feeling that if Roman doesn't open up his wallet and sign at least two players, Conte will leave by the end of the window. Yesterday was a shambles. The fact Boga started should prove to Abramovich Conte needs more men. 

I don't disagree that Chelsea could do with adding to their squad but I'm not sure Conte's entirely blameless. It's hard to say how much he had to do with the decisions to sell Matic and loan a load of players out but he was the one who informed Costa he was done as a Chelsea player by text. He could have started Morata yesterday instead of Boga as well.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I don't disagree that Chelsea could do with adding to their squad but I'm not sure Conte's entirely blameless. It's hard to say how much he had to do with the decisions to sell Matic and loan a load of players out but he was the one who informed Costa he was done as a Chelsea player by text. He could have started Morata yesterday instead of Boga as well.

Did you watch Conte on Sky Sports' PL programme? It is quite clear he wanted Matic at the club. The board went over his head when they saw £40m offered for a 29 year old. Good business, but only if the player is surplus, which he clearly wasn't in Conte's eyes.

Ake shouldn't have been sold. I agreed at the time with Chalobah's sale but now he would definitely get games. Zouma's loan was to rehabilitate him after missing over a year, so I get that. The rest of the loaners I agree with.

Not starting Morata was strange, given he was our best player when he came on. Conte keeps saying he's not ready but he looked it yesterday.

As for Costa, Conte and the club maintain the stance that he was informed in January that he was being sold in the summer. I'd love him back in the side, but if Conte would rather not have a player of his quality in his squad because of his behaviour, it goes to show how difficult he must be to manage.

For fuck's sake I fucking knew Herrera was going to be the one getting shafted by Matic's presence.

At least the overall shape of the team is attacking.

Meanwhile, West Ham's subs consist of a goalie, 5 defenders and a striker.  I hope we grab an early lead. 

Meanwhile the first round in the German Cup is being played this weekend.

While Friday and Saturday were relatively uninteresting (in terms of upsets), today there's a hillarious one in the making.

HSV (Bundesliga) is playing in Osnabrück (Liga 3).

After around 20 minutes Osnabrück were down to 10 men. Yet, they went on to humilate the Bundesliga club. After 70 minutes Osnabrück (despite being one man down) were up 3:0 (three nill!!) Then Mordor was awarded a penalty, which they converted. So it's atm just 3:1 for Osnabrück atm.

Hahaha, and final whistle has just been blown. :D

Let's all laugh at Mordor.

49 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

For fuck's sake I fucking knew Herrera was going to be the one getting shafted by Matic's presence.

At least the overall shape of the team is attacking.

Personally, I'd say Matic is the better player of the two. There's a time and a place to play two holding midfielders, and at home to West Ham isn't one.

Only a matter of time before Man United break through. West Ham have been poor so far.

It had to be Lukaku.  

14 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Personally, I'd say Matic is the better player of the two. There's a time and a place to play two holding midfielders, and at home to West Ham isn't one.

Only a matter of time before Man United break through. West Ham have been poor so far.

Herrera isn't really a holding player, though. He's a box-to-boxer at heart.

And while in theory Matic-Pogba-Mkhitaryan/Mata is a more attacking midfield than Matic-Herrera-Pogba, I think Herrera's shown he can be plenty attacking when let off the leash plus I thought the whole idea was to give Pogba a freer hand, which sitting him back behind Mata doesn't really do.

Matic is a good player, though I think Herrera is the better, but my problem isn't with him, it's with the mentality he indicates in Mourinho.

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Herrera isn't really a holding player, though. He's a box-to-boxer at heart.

And while in theory Matic-Pogba-Mkhitaryan/Mata is a more attacking midfield than Matic-Herrera-Pogba, I think Herrera's shown he can be plenty attacking when let off the leash plus I thought the whole idea was to give Pogba a freer hand, which sitting him back behind Mata doesn't really do.

Matic is a good player, though I think Herrera is the better, but my problem isn't with him, it's with the mentality he indicates in Mourinho.

I think Pogba is better coming from deep than starting too high up the pitch. He's definitely more of a no. 8 than no. 10. Looking at this performance so far, Herrera hasn't been missed. I'd guess he'd start big matches at home and a lot more away games. I can't see Matic being rotated too often.

Lukaku has taken his goals well. He suits United's style to a T.

United looking real good today. Fucking Lukaku and Matic are perfect for them