The books coming out in 2018

AncalagonTheBlack

8 hours ago, Peadar said:

I'm afraid so!

How does this go down in conversation: "So, Peadar, what do you do with yourself?" "I write about the utter destruction of Ireland and the hunting and murder of its young folk by crazed wee folk"? Warmly received?

14 hours ago, brunhilda said:

How does this go down in conversation: "So, Peadar, what do you do with yourself?" "I write about the utter destruction of Ireland and the hunting and murder of its young folk by crazed wee folk"? Warmly received?

You'd be surprised by how well people take it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The Wolf (Under the Northern Sky #1) by Leo Carew

Debut.To be published in the US by Orbit in March 2018 and in the UK by Wildfire,the new imprint of Headline/Hachette UK in April 2018. .Translation rights sold:French ,German and Russian.

Amazon blurb:

Leo Carew's debut novel The Wolf, the first book in the Under the Northern Sky series, is a masterpiece in epic historical fantasy - a new voice to rival David Gemmell or George RR Martin.

Violence and death have come to the land under the Northern Sky.

The Anakim dwell in the desolate forests and mountains beyond the black river, the land under the Northern Sky.

Their ancient ways are forged in Unthank silver and carved in the grey stone of their heartland, their lives measured out in the turning of centuries, not years.

By contrast, the Sutherners live in the moment, their vitality much more immediate and ephemeral than their Anakim neighbours.

Fragile is the peace that has existed between these very different races - and that peace is shattered when the Suthern armies flood the lands to the north.

These two races revive their age-old hatred and fear of each other. Within the maelstrom of war, two leaders will rise to lead their people to victory.

Only one will succeed.

The Wolf is a thrilling, savagely visceral, politically nuanced and unexpectedly wry exploration of power and identity - and how far one will go to defend them.

Blurb from his literary agency:

When the leader of the Anakim, Kynortas, is killed in battle, it is his son Roper who must retake control of the wilderness in which they live, both from the invading Sutherner horde and from a powerful and manipulative rival to his succession. As previous allies turn enemy Roper must solidify his political base and is forced into marriage with Keturah, daughter of an influential family, as acerbic as she is beautiful. On the Suthern side, Bellamus, a new and capable leader rises from obscurity to match Roper’s rare brilliance. A commoner with the discrete support of the Queen, he has been slowly fermenting his own agenda and now makes a play for the northern territories. But first, he must defeat the young Roper.

On a lightning-struck field, the two men and their armies must do battle – and the outcome will decide the future of two ways of life, two species, and the fate of the island they share.

The Wolf is thrilling, savagely violent, politically nuanced and rudely funny when you least expect it.

https://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/client/leo-carew/work/the-wolf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tim Powers' next novel Alternate Routes will be published by Baen in August 2018:

https://www.amazon.com/Alternate-Routes-Tim-Powers/dp/1481483404/

A New Novel From Award-Winning Master of Fantasy and Science Fiction Tim Powers.

A modern ghost story as only Tim Powers can write it.

Something weird is happening to the Los Angeles freeways—phantom cars, lanes from nowhere, and sometimes unmarked offramps that give glimpses of a desolate desert highway—and Sebastian Vickery, disgraced ex-Secret Service agent, is a driver for a covert supernatural-evasion car service. But another government agency is using and perhaps causing the freeway anomalies, and their chief is determined to have Vickery killed because of something he learned years ago at a halted Presidential motorcade.

Reluctantly aided by Ingrid Castine, a member of that agency, and a homeless Mexican boy, and a woman who makes her living costumed as Supergirl on the sidewalk in front of the Chinese Theater, Vickery learns what legendary hell it is that the desert highway leads to—and when Castine deliberately drives into it to save him from capture, he must enter it himself to get her out.

Alternate Routes is a fast-paced supernatural adventure story that sweeps from the sun-blinded streets and labyrinthine freeways of Los Angeles to a horrifying other world out of Greek mythology, and Vickery and Castine must learn to abandon old loyalties and learn loyalty to each other in order to survive as the world goes mad around them.

14 hours ago, Jussi said:

Tim Powers' next novel Alternate Routes will be published by Baen in August 2018:

https://www.amazon.com/Alternate-Routes-Tim-Powers/dp/1481483404/

wow.did his last few books sell so bad that he had to sign with Baen! :P

Seeing him with other Baen authors (John Ringo!) on some panel might just make Darth Richard's head explode.:D:wacko:

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Seeing him with other Baen authors (John Ringo!) on some panel might just make Darth Richard's head explode.:D:wacko:

These days not much surprises me. I don't know Powers political views, maybe he's uh, one of THEM.

11 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I'm already dreading what the cover art will look like.

Seeing him with other Baen authors (John Ringo!) on some panel might just make Darth Richard's head explode.

:D:wacko:

It's not any more incongruous than Lois McMaster Bujold spending most of her career with Baen.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

These days not much surprises me. I don't know Powers political views, maybe he's uh, one of THEM.

I get the impression his political views may be conservative but of the relatively sane variety.

Archived