The books coming out in 2018

AncalagonTheBlack

Jordanna Max Brodsky's new novel The Wolf in the Whale is going to be released in January 2019:

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0316417157

Blurb:

The heroic journey of an Inuit shaman and the Viking she comes to love, in an epic tale of culture clashes, coming-of-age, and a fight for survival in the frozen Arctic of 1000 AD.

Omat was born with her father's soul and raised as a man, a hunter, and a shaman. Her isolated tribe is the farthest Inuit outpost in the ancient Arctic, and her people's survival depends upon meeting more of their own kind. But when new Inuit finally appear, Omat's life - and her manhood - are shattered. Forced to live as a woman by her new husband, she begins a journey that will thrust her into a world of strange men and even stranger gods.

The Wolf in the Whale is the story of a shaman whose nested identities fuse man and woman, earth and spirit, Inuit and Viking - wolf and whale.

Key selling points:

• Omat is a strong and engaging gender-nonconforming protagonist whom readers will find intriguing and sympathetic.
  • Highly commercial given modern readers' appetite for feminist and multicultural fiction.
  • The Arctic North is an increasingly appealing setting for epic fiction like this - unusual and intriguing, yet relatable for readers.

The new Gibson novel's been pushed back to December?

My understanding was that it was due out in April. (Can't recall where that date is from - perhaps something I saw on a publisher's site?)

I'm looking forward to Terry Hayes's next novel, The Year of the Locust, the successor to I Am Pilgrim. Seems to have gone through a few delays...

Also can't wait to get my hands on Jo NEsbo's telling of Macbeth. This should be very interesting. 

I just noticed Adrian Tchaikovsky has another short story collection in his Shadows of the Apt world coming out next week, For Love of Different Shores. I enjoyed the previous two collections so I'll probably get this as well.

He doe seem to be exceeding even his normal writing pace because as well as this collection he also has two novels coming out soon, The Hyena and the Hawk this week and Redemption's Blade in July as well as a novella The Expert System's Brother, also in July.

@Darth Richard II you at least should appreciate this properly like I do, but Zen Cho has seemingly been in manuscript hell but finally has something resembling a novel as her sequel to Sorcerer to the Crown. Currently it's scheduled for March 2019. Few details except

Spoiler

Prunella and Zacharias appear but aren't the principal characters. And we get to learn more of the world outside Britain

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@Darth Richard II you at least should appreciate this properly like I do, but Zen Cho has seemingly been in manuscript hell but finally has something resembling a novel as her sequel to Sorcerer to the Crown. Currently it's scheduled for March 2019. Few details except

Reveal hidden contents

Prunella and Zacharias appear but aren't the principal characters. And we get to learn more of the world outside Britain

Yay!

Ann Leckie's first fantasy novel The Raven Tower will be published by Orbit in February 2019:

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0316388696

Peter V. Brett's The Desert Prince is coming out in October 2019:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Desert-Prince-Peter-V-Brett/dp/0008309779/

A new fantasy trilogy from Sunday Times and New York Times bestseller Peter V. Brett, author of The Demon Cycle. A new series, opening with THE DESERT PRINCE and taking place approximately fifteen years after the ending of THE CORE, tells the tales of two young protagonists, Olive Paper and Darin Bales. Get ready for the next adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

Orson Scott Card's new novel Extinct will be released in March 2019:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extinct-Orson-Scott-Card/dp/0765393778/

From the creator of Ender's Game comes a new sf series of hope, survival, and second chances. In a universe at war, the long-extinct human race may be the only hope for victory, in Orson Scott Card's Extinct, the first book in a new trilogy.

Four hundred years after the extinction of the human race in a battle between alien civilizations at war, a devastated Earth lies nearly uninhabited. But one of the alien combatants left something behind, a weapon that they believe can win their war once and for all.

Reborn on a planet they can barely recognize, a small group of human beings finds themselves with a mission they barely understand, on a world they can barely recognize.

Epic fantasy debut from Tor Books – K.A. Doore's The Perfect Assassin (Book 1 in the Chronicles of Ghadid) is also due out in March 2019:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Assassin-Book-Chronicles-Ghadid/dp/0765398559/

A novice assassin is on the hunt for someone killing their own in K. A. Doore's The Perfect Assassin, a breakout high fantasy for fans of Robin Hobb, Sarah J. Maas, and Brent Weeks

The assassins of Ghadid serve a higher power, dispensing justice in the shadows. Or so Amastan has been taught.

Until, unexpectedly, Amastan finds the body of a very important drum chief. Until, impossibly, fellow assassins are being killed off. Until, inevitably, Amastan is ordered to solve these murders. Even worse, the jaan of the murdered start roaming the dusty streets of Ghadid, restless spirits seeking any body to possess.

Time is running short, and Amastan must find this perfect assassin or become their next target.

"Full of rooftop fights, frightening magic, and nonstop excitement and mystery, I absolutely loved it from start to finish!" – Sarah Beth Durst

On 4/4/2018 at 5:31 PM, williamjm said:

I just noticed Adrian Tchaikovsky has another short story collection in his Shadows of the Apt world coming out next week, For Love of Different Shores. I enjoyed the previous two collections so I'll probably get this as well.

He doe seem to be exceeding even his normal writing pace because as well as this collection he also has two novels coming out soon, The Hyena and the Hawk this week and Redemption's Blade in July as well as a novella The Expert System's Brother, also in July.

Tchaikovsky"s output is ridiculous, he writes faster than i can read.

6 hours ago, Yukle said:

FIRE AND BLOOD!

20 November!

Woohoo! :D 

Yesss. I'm really happy about it as well :D

On 24.4.2018 at 11:06 PM, Jussi said:

Epic fantasy debut from Tor Books – K.A. Doore's The Perfect Assassin (Book 1 in the Chronicles of Ghadid) is also due out in March 2019:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Assassin-Book-Chronicles-Ghadid/dp/0765398559/

Comparing a book to the works of Sarah J. Maas and Brent Weeks is a very good way to make me not want to read it :P

2 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

Same.  I'm still on Shadows of the Apt.  He has way more books out that I haven't read now than he did when I started this series.

It is impressive. He was first published less than 10 years ago and in that time has published a 10 volume fantasy series, another fantasy trilogy, three other novels, four short story collections and some other short fiction.

To add to that I've just seen he said on his blog that he's handed in his sequel to Children of Time, provisionally titled Children of Ruin. No mention of a release date, I guess it might be early 2019. I did like the first book, it didn't really feel like a book that demanded a sequel but hopefully he'll take the story in an interesting direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived