AncalagonTheBlack

The books coming out in 2018

72 posts in this topic

Announcing Brandon Sanderson’s New Novel for 2018

Gollancz is thrilled to announce that in Autumn 2018 we will be publishing a completely new novel from Sunday Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson. We can now officially reveal the title of that novel as… Skyward, a story described as How to Train Your Dragon meets Top Gun with starfighters.

Acquisition announcement: THE GREY BASTARDS by Jonathan French

Orbit UK has acquired rights to The Grey Bastards plus a sequel by US author Jonathan French.

It’s a wild and gritty epic fantasy debut that invites you to enter the world of orcs and half-orcs – as you’ve never seen them before . . .

You might have heard of The Grey Bastards because it won Mark Lawrence’s Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off 2016 – meaning that a panel of ten top fantasy bloggers picked it as the winner out of hundreds of entries. And this win was thoroughly deserved . . . This fantasy debut is brimming with raucous energy.

Look out for The Grey Bastards in June 2018.

Acquisition announcement: Sebastien de Castell’s SPELLSINGER

Orbit US has acquired North American rights to Spellslinger, a six book adventure fantasy series by Canadian author Sebastien de Castell from Bonnier Zaffre. In this fast-paced, humorous series, Kellen has to use his wits and learn a few tricks to survive as a mage without magic

The first four books will be out this year, starting with SPELLSLINGER in July followed by SHADOWBLACK, CHARMCASTER and SOULBINDER.

R.A. Salvatore's new Drizzt novel Timeless will be published in September:

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0062688596

At long last, New York Times bestselling author R. A. Salvatore returns with one of fantasy’s most beloved and enduring icons, the dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden, in an all-new trilogy full of swordplay, danger, and imaginative thrills

Centuries ago, in the city of Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders, the City of Drow, nestled deep in the unmerciful Underdark of Toril, a young weapon master earned a reputation far above his station or that of his poor house.

The greater nobles watched him, and one matron, in particular, decided to take him as her own. She connived with rival great houses to secure her prize, but that prize was caught for her by another, who came to quite enjoy the weapon master.

This was the beginning of the friendship between Zaknafein and Jarlaxle, and the coupling of Matron Malice and the weapon master who would sire Drizzt Do’Urden.

R. A. Salvatore reveals the Underdark anew through the eyes of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle—an introduction to the darkness that offers a fresh view of the opportunities to be found in the shadows and an intriguing prelude to the intriguing escapes that lie ahead in the modern-day Forgotten Realms. Here, a father and his son are reunited and embark on adventures that parallel the trials of centuries long past as the friends of old are joined by Drizzt, Hero of the North, trained by Grandmaster Kane in the ways of the monk.

But the scourge of the dangerous Lolth’s ambitions remain, and demons have been foisted on the unwitting of the surface. The resulting chaos and war will prove to be the greatest challenge for all three.

Edited by Jussi

Haha, didn't the Drizzt books supposedly end, for like, the third or fourth time recently?

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Haha, didn't the Drizzt books supposedly end, for like, the third or fourth time recently?

LOL - I had the exact same thought:  "Wait...I thought Salvatore said...again...that he was done with that character."

Guess not. Not that I was going to read them - I finished with Salvatore a long time ago. But I have a soft spot for the originals, as they were pretty important to the younger me.

Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett - Publication date: 23 Aug 2018

When Sancia Grado agrees to steal an ancient artefact for a mysterious client, she thinks it's just another job. But what she discovers could open the door to an ancient evil and bring the city of Tevanne to its knees . . .

She thought it was just another job. But her discovery could bring the city to its knees . . .

The city of Tevanne runs on scrivings, the magical inscriptions that make inanimate objects sentient; they power everything, from wheels to weapons. Scrivings have brought enormous progress and enormous wealth - but only to the four merchant Houses who control the magic. Everyone else is a servant or slave, or they eke a precarious living in the hellhole called the Commons.

There's not much in the way of work for an escaped slave like Sancia Grado, but she has an unnatural talent that makes her one of the best thieves in the city. When she's offered a lucrative job to steal an ancient artefact from a heavily guarded warehouse, Sancia agrees, dreaming of a leaving the Commons - but instead of escape, she finds herself the target of a murderous conspiracy: someone powerful in Tevanne wants Sancia dead, and the artefact in their hands.

To survive, Sancia will need every ally and every ounce of wits at her disposal. Because if the Houses get the artefact and unlock its secrets, thousands will die - and even worse, it will allow ancient evils back into the world and turn their city into a devastated battleground.

Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton – Macmillan/Del Rey, Sep 2018

Humanity's complex relationship with technology spirals out of control in this first book of an all-new trilogy from "the owner of the most powerful imagination in science fiction" (Ken Follett).

In 2204, humanity is expanding into the wider galaxy in leaps and bounds. Cutting-edge technology of linked jump gates has rendered most forms of transportation--including starships--virtually obsolete. Every place on earth, every distant planet humankind has settled, is now merely a step away from any other. And all seems wonderful--until a crashed alien spaceship of unknown origin is found on a newly-located world eighty-nine light years from Earth, carrying a cargo as strange as it is horrifying. To assess the potential of the threat a high-powered team is dispatched to investigate. But one of them may not be all they seem...

Bursting with tension and big ideas, this standalone series highlights the inventiveness of an author at the top of his game, as the interweaving story lines tell us not only how humanity arrived at this moment, but also the far-future consequences that spin off from it.

NEW FIREFLY FICTION ANNOUNCED

TITAN BOOKS AND TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX CONSUMER PRODUCTS ANNOUNCE PUBLISHING PARTNERSHIP FOR OFFICIAL, ORIGINAL FIREFLY FICTION TITLES

Titan Books and Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products are delighted to announce the publication of an original range of new fiction tying-in to the acclaimed and much missed Firefly television series from creator Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Avengers: Age of Ultron) beginning Autumn 2018. The books stand to be official titles within the Firefly canon, created alongside consulting editor Joss Whedon.

The first three authors announced for this new range of fiction are New York Times bestsellers Nancy Holder (Buffy, Angel), Tim Lebbon (Cabin in the Woods, 30 Days of Night) and James Lovegrove (Age of Odin).

Firefly: Big Damn Hero by Nancy Holder (October 2018)
Captain Malcolm Reynolds finds himself in a dangerous situation after being kidnapped by a bunch of embittered veteran Browncoats.

Firefly: The Magnificent Nine by James Lovegrove (March 2019)
Jayne receives a distress call from his ex Temperance McCloud that leads the Serenity crew to danger on a desert moon.

Firefly: Generations by Tim Lebbon (October 2019)
The discovery of the location of one of the legendary Ark ships that brought humans from Earth to the ’Verse promises staggering salvage potential, but at what cost? River Tam thinks she might know…

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, banjax451 said:

LOL - I had the exact same thought:  "Wait...I thought Salvatore said...again...that he was done with that character."

Guess not. Not that I was going to read them - I finished with Salvatore a long time ago. But I have a soft spot for the originals, as they were pretty important to the younger me.

Pretty sure Salvatore himself just said "no comment" regarding future novels.  The speculation was the Forgotten Realms line as a whole being axed, which didn't seem too unlikely outside of Drizzt given the demise of the other D&D fiction lines.

I've thought for a while that Drizzt novels would outlive Forgotten Realms branding.  Will be interesting to see if that's the case.    

SOMEONE LIKE ME by M. R. Carey

SHE LOOKS LIKE ME. SHE SOUNDS LIKE ME.

AND NOW SHE’S TRYING TO TAKE MY PLACE . . .

Liz Kendall wouldn’t hurt a fly. She’s a gentle woman devoted to bringing up her kids in a loving home, no matter how hard times get.

But there’s another side to Liz, one that’s dark and malicious. A version of her that will do anything to get her way – no matter how extreme or violent.

And when this other side of her takes control, the consequences are devastating.

The only way Liz can save herself and her family is if she can find out where this new alter-ego has come from, and how she can stop it.

This book is unlike anything you will have read before . . . imagine Stephen King meets Gone Girl, but with that added touch of M. R. Carey genius and originality! Trust us – you won’t want to miss this. It’s due to be published in late 2018.

Gollancz to publish 'compelling' Icelandic debut.Slush Pile Success! Assistant Editor snatches brilliant Icelandic fantasy debut from open submissions!

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/gollancz-publish-compelling-icelandic-debut-731676
https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2018/02/slush-pile-success-assistant-editor-snatches-brilliant-icelandic-fantasy-debut-open-submissions/

Gollancz, is delighted to announce the acquisition of a brilliant, genre-defining fantasy duology by debut author Alexander Dan Vilhjálmsson. SHADOWS OF THE SHORT DAYS, is a strikingly original Icelandic debut set in a strangely familiar alternate Reykjavík where wild and industrialised magic meet. Perfect for fans of China Miéville, Lev Grossman and Paulo Bacigalupi, this is a strange and wonderful tale of damaged characters forging a revolution against an oppressive government.

Shadows of the Short Days will publish in February 2019 in hardcover (£14.99), export trade paperback (£12.99) and e-book (£7.99).

Alexander Dan Vilhjálmsson is an Icelandic author who lives in Reykjavík. SHADOWS OF THE SHORT DAYS is his first novel. He writes in both Icelandic and English as the story requires, translating back and forth as necessary, and is the founder and editor of Iceland’s first SFF magazine, Furðusögur (Weird Stories). Alexander is also the vocalist and lyricist for Icelandic black metal band Carpe Noctem.

19 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

SOMEONE LIKE ME by M. R. Carey

Sounds good, but honestly, I just wish he would write more Felix Castor books.  Of course, those didn't sell nearly as well as the ones under the M. R. name.