2017 Emmy Nominations

Dragon in the North

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Me too, although I think I'm rooting hardest for Newton.

It's a crime she didn't get a nomination.  That last season was perfect.  You could make an argument for any of the other main guys too, and John Logan needed a writing nod.  Feel like he's ridiculously underappreciated when one considers his track record.

You don't need to tell me twice :( Would have especially liked to have seen Rory Kinnear and Eva Green purely for their stunning work in A Blade of Grass

1 hour ago, Risto said:

this is why I love this category. It is impossible to decide. With the exception of Viola Davis, each of the ladies could win and people would be OK. And to just get into perspective, Tatiana Maslany and Claire Danes were not even nominated. It is so packed that category extension would make quite a lot of sense.

Earlier this year, Foy would have won it without a doubt (this is TV version of Mirren's Oscar landslide in a year when Dench was in "Notes on the Scandal", Streep in "Devil wears Prada" and Cruz in "Volver"), but Moss was truly astonishing. That performance was so poignant and powerful that I couldn't keep my eyes off her. 

On the other hand, we have Keri Russel, the unsung hero of this category for the last 5 years. It is simply shame that there is only one of these awards.

My heart will always be with my The Americans... My brain on the other hand...

Tatiana wasn't eligible this year. Orphan Black didn't start until June

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Tatiana wasn't eligible this year. Orphan Black didn't start until June

Oh, yes... I forgot about that... That is what happens when I am not watching the right things :D 

12 hours ago, Risto said:

this is why I love this category. It is impossible to decide. With the exception of Viola Davis, each of the ladies could win and people would be OK. And to just get into perspective, Tatiana Maslany and Claire Danes were not even nominated. It is so packed that category extension would make quite a lot of sense...

Claire Danes has won twice already for Homeland, so clearing her out to make way for other worthy performances to get nominated seems fair. I wish they'd do that for Julia Louis-Dreyfus and VEEP in general, too. I mean, it's a good show, but three noms for director and two each for the comedy acting categories? C'mon, man! Show New Girl, The Good Place, Fresh Off the Boat, Love, You're The Worst some Emmy love. The Good Place feels especially robbed in the comedy categories.

The one pick that seems very off to me is Jonathan Banks instead of Michael McKean for Better Call Saul supporting actor this year. I like Banks a lot, but he didn't exactly do a lot this season or show much range. McKean was phenomenal this year though, maybe even better than Odenkirk, and really carried the season.

6 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The one pick that seems very off to me is Jonathan Banks instead of Michael McKean for Better Call Saul supporting actor this year. I like Banks a lot, but he didn't exactly do a lot this season or show much range. McKean was phenomenal this year though, maybe even better than Odenkirk, and really carried the season.

Couldn't agree more. I tend to like the Mike/Nacho portions a little more, but McKean really was the MVP this season. 

BCS needs some love for cinematography as well. Best looking show on tv imo. 

Banks over McKean is one of the most perplexing things on that list given that for me at least McKean was the strongest performance of the season and one of the best on TV this year.

It could be Banks is getting the Dinklage treatment and this nomination is a sort of apology for not getting anything for Season 1

Spoiler

Which is a shame cause it's not like McKean will be able to get his apology nomination a couple years down the line

4 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Once the Emmys choose an actor from a show, they'll nominate him every year and usually only him from the same show. See GoT, which each season apart from one (and even then it's debatable) had someone being better than Dinklage, yet he kept being nominated and even won in a year in which he was clearly embarrassed to win.

The Good Place was robbed of nominations this year. Robbed!

(I'm just going to keep typing this in all my posts in this thread until people join me in outrage.) :P 

12 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Once the Emmys choose an actor from a show, they'll nominate him every year and usually only him from the same show...

This seems to be a very valid point. (Also see my earlier post about VEEP.) If you're going to nominate one person from Better Call Saul for  a supporting actor Emmy then McKean would be the logical choice for S3. It was definitely a Chuck-tastic year in terms of good scenes for McKean.

14 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Banks over McKean is one of the most perplexing things on that list given that for me at least McKean was the strongest performance of the season and one of the best on TV this year.

It could be Banks is getting the Dinklage treatment and this nomination is a sort of apology for not getting anything for Season 1

Reveal hidden contents

Which is a shame cause it's not like McKean will be able to get his apology nomination a couple years down the line

I think that's exactly what it is. Banks is getting a "collective" nom for his work in the first three seasons. This definitely wasn't the strongest season for his character in this series.

Archived