US Politics: The 'In His Own Words' Edition

Fragile Bird

As mentioned in the other thread, usually this must result in Kushner as the first on his way to the chopping block. If that doesn't oust the Kush, then I don't know what this clan has to do to get into legal trouble.

What @Maithanetsaid in the old thread.

Anytime something like this comes out of the WH, I just assume it is some sort of internal fight.  So, who benefits from DTJ and Kushner being on the outs?  Bannon, McMaster, Pence, Tillerson, etc.  I can come up with a semi-plausible reason for any one of them to do it (in roughly the order I gave for most to least likely). 

I don't think any of those guys need to set an elaborate plan into motion. My guess is, it's a good deal simpler and pettier than that. I think the Trump offsprings are quite happy with throwing each other under the bus and sticking a knife in their siblings back. And Kushner is just the brother in-law for the American Psychos, so not even a blood relative (I also think he'd be the most likely to flip). Just think of them as the Freys of DC. Didn't the Trump clan itself talk about Orange Walder creating a competitive enviroment within his family? Add to that, that they are apparently not half as bright as they think, and being brought up in a bubble where they would get away with pretty much anything (thanks to their privileged upbringing), and here we are.

Having that said, on a petty level I'd find it very satisfying and entertaining, if at least one member of the Trump clan ends up in prison.

Woah baby...

People who voiced their complaints about the Voter Fraud Commission by sending an e-mail to the White House had their emails published on-line by the Commission.

The e-mails are, of course, full of personal information, like your name and/or e-mail address.

link: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/docs/comments-received-june-29-through-july-11-2017.pdf

How many people are now being attacked, spammed or hacked?

Every single person who had their e-mail published should bring a class action lawuit against the US government.

From News and Guts on Facebook:

Want to voice your concerns to the White House? The message today is if you do email the folks at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, they could then turn around and publish some sensitive information about you.

That's right, the new WH voter fraud commission released emails full of personal info.

Vox says:

"As of Friday afternoon, the emails are still uncensored and available on the White House’s website. They include all sorts of feedback, from concerns about privacy to outright insults of the Trump administration."

8 hours ago, Mexal said:

I was always interested in who the 2nd person in the room with the Russian Lawyer and the Trump team and now we know. He was a former FSB counter-intelligence agent who's now a lobbyist who emigrated to the US and holds US citizenship.

There were 2 others as well, a 'translator' and a 'representative of the Agalarov family', the Russian billionaire who seems to be the Kremlin's main cut-out.

56 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Woah baby...

People who voiced their complaints about the Voter Fraud Commission by sending an e-mail to the White House had their emails published on-line by the Commission.

The e-mails are, of course, full of personal information, like your name and/or e-mail address.

link: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/docs/comments-received-june-29-through-july-11-2017.pdf

How many people are now being attacked, spammed or hacked?

Every single person who had their e-mail published should bring a class action lawuit against the US government.

From News and Guts on Facebook:

I don't think these people have a case.  I don't think there's any expectation of privacy regarding the comments that a person sends to the government.  Certainly when the government requests comments from the public on proposed legislation, the comments and much of the personal identifying information that is received is made public.  This happens routinely.  

I don't know whether these comments were solicited by the government or unsolicited, but I don't think it makes a difference.  If you are going to send comments to the government, you should expect that these comments are going to be handled like any other comments from the public.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

There were 2 others as well, a 'translator' and a 'representative of the Agalarov family', the Russian billionaire who seems to be the Kremlin's main cut-out.

It appears Goldstone was there too, so that makes 8.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/14/politics/donald-trump-jr-meeting/index.html

Dear DJTJ,

Seriously though, how many times has his story changed, and how many times has he said this version of events is the definitive truth? 

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

I don't think these people have a case.  I don't think there's any expectation of privacy regarding the comments that a person sends to the government.  Certainly when the government requests comments from the public on proposed legislation, the comments and much of the personal identifying information that is received is made public.  This happens routinely.  

I don't know whether these comments were solicited by the government or unsolicited, but I don't think it makes a difference.  If you are going to send comments to the government, you should expect that these comments are going to be handled like any other comments from the public.

When have you seen comments sent to the WH with e-mail addresses and names?

Anyone ever see this before?

Oh...nope. Just looked it up. The official White House policy:

"THE WHITE HOUSE IS COMMITTED TO PROTECTING INDIVIDUAL PRIVACY AND SECURING THE PERSONAL INFORMATION MADE AVAILABLE TO US WHEN YOU VISIT WHITEHOUSE.GOV, USE OUR MOBILE APP, OR VISIT WHITE HOUSE PAGES HOSTED BY OTHER SITES (SUCH AS OUR OFFICIAL PROFILES ON SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES). THIS PRIVACY POLICY DESCRIBES WHAT INFORMATION IS MADE AVAILABLE TO THE WHITE HOUSE AND HOW THAT INFORMATION IS USED AND RETAINED, AND PROVIDES INFORMATION ON:"

https://www.whitehouse.gov/privacy

ETA: Here's more. on sharing info:

"Sharing of this Information

Information you choose to share with the White House (directly and via third party sites) may be treated as public information. We may, for example, publish compilations of messages or comments collected through WhiteHouse.gov or official social media pages and provide them to national leaders, members of the press, or other individuals outside of the Federal Government. And the We the People API allows public access to some We the People signature data. However, we exercise discretion to limit such disclosures to protect your privacy (for example, we generally do not publish last names of commenters).

The White House uses a third-party analytics provider (currently Google Analytics) to analyze data from cookies. The third-party analytics provider does not receive personally identifiable information through these cookies. We have also limited the provider’s ability to see your full IP address (a process known as “IP masking”). Please review Google Analytics’ privacy policy for additional information.

Within the White House, we restrict access to personally identifiable information to employees, contractors, and vendors subject to non-disclosure requirements who require access to this information in order to perform their official duties and exercise controls to limit what data they can view based on the specific needs of their position."

"

For some reason, reminds me of “Blue. No Yellow."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/14/15971836/dont-believe-trump-jr

My colleague Dara Lind has a detailed rundown of Trump Jr.’s shifting stories about this meeting, but here’s an express version:

As of July 7, his operative story — as told to the New York Times back in March — was, “Did I meet with people that were Russian? I’m sure, I’m sure I did. But none that were set up. None that I can think of at the moment. And certainly none that I was representing the campaign in any way, shape or form.”
Then on July 8, when the Veselnitskaya meeting first came to light, he explained it was “primarily” about “a program about the adoption of Russian children,” which “was not a campaign issue at that time.”
Then on July 9, when more information about the meeting was revealed in the press, Trump Jr. conceded that it was in fact a meeting with “an individual who I was told might have information helpful to the campaign,” but he indicated that he hadn't known who she was and he didn’t mention anything about the Russian government.
Then on July 10, when he realized the New York Times was about to publish an email exchange setting up the meeting, he got out ahead of the story and published it himself — including the previously omitted fact that the stated purpose of the meeting was for Veselnitskaya to serve as a conduit for information provided by the Russian government.
Having been caught, red-handed, in several different iterations of lying, this would have been a good opportunity for Trump Jr. to fully come clean.

I’m hyperventilating. Somebody give me a bag.

This is this two sensible things conservative sorts of people have said in a week in a half (the other being NGDP targeting).

https://www.economy.com/dismal/analysis/datapoints/296127/There-Is-No-US-Wage-Growth-Mystery/

Whether you use the unemployment rate or prime non-employment Phillips curves, both suggest there is room to improve. The unemployment rate Phillips curve fails to explain the last two years of wage growth. The prime non-employment rate curve in contrast suggests wage growth should be exactly where it is. The better fit extends throughout the sample period: The r-squareds from the lines of best fit indicate that the prime-age non-employment rate can explain 87% of the variation in wage growth since 1994 compared with 64% for the unemployment rate.

Wage growth is not really that mysterious if this level of slack is correct. Labor market pessimists who have pivoted from one theory to the next only to see them debunked by subsequent economic performance should consider the parsimonious explanation that there remains slack in the labor market, and they have underestimated it for years.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

/Lulz

Next we'll find out Jr. booked one of the ballrooms for the meeting to accommodate it's extensive guest list.              :hat:

On 7/14/2017 at 7:36 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Where was Paul "Numbers Guy" Ryan to check the numbers?

Sounds a lot like team Trumpsters dumb accounting error.

I think we all can say, “I woulda been conservative, but I was too good at basic math.”

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Where was Paul "Numbers Guy" Ryan to check the numbers?

Sounds a lot like team Trumpsters dumb accounting error.

I think we all can say, “I woulda been conservative, but I was too good at basic math.”

Shall we ask Cruz to show his work?

:o

On 7/14/2017 at 9:10 PM, Nasty LongRider said:

Shall we ask Cruz to show his work?

:o

Oh definitely, particularly since he'd definitely try to slip something past us, when he thinks we weren't looking.

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Oh definitely, particularly since he'd definitely try to slip something past us, when he thinks we weren't looking.

Then we must insist he use a pencil but no calculator!  

:idea:

On 7/14/2017 at 9:22 PM, Nasty LongRider said:

Then we must insist he use a pencil but no calculator!  

:idea:

I can see it now:

70 Billion + 70 Billion + “Freedom” + “Conservative Values” = 70 Billion

Archived