US Politics: The 'In His Own Words' Edition

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You should all be praying for the continued survival of McCain, because, you know, there doesn't need to be an election to fill his seat, just an appointment. And you know they will appoint some kind of death eater to replace him. :o 

I didn't see it, but my brother told me some woman from the Arizona Republican party was being interviewed on CNN last night, and she said everyone knows the two worst senators in the country were from Arizona, and they would be working hard to get rid of Jeff Flake.

It barely matters. McCain votes are basically indistinguishable from Death Eater votes. Basically, McCain is a Death Eater who has successfully convinced you, and the rest of the country, that he isn't one.

8 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I disagree. I read the list. It includes supporting nominations for Gorsuch, Pruitt, DeVos, and Sessions. (Also others, but those are the ones I consider most clearly objectionable.) He voted to do away with EPA, FCC, Department of Labor, and Department of Education regulations. He voted to do away with the 60-vote cloture requirement. Any of those would have been good opportunities to actually earn the reputation he claims. And it's not just Trump-era votes. McCain has years and years of a voting record that puts party before country. I hope he beats cancer, but other than that he can go fuck himself.

Sure, but that just makes him a mainstream Republican. I'm not arguing he's not a mainstream Republican, I'm saying there's not evidence yet that he actually supports Trump. Just like there's not evidence yet that most Senate Republicans support Trump, beyond the ways in which he's aligned with their agenda.

Unlike the House, where there are plenty of Republicans that are all-in on the Trump kool-aid.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You should all be praying for the continued survival of McCain, because, you know, there doesn't need to be an election to fill his seat, just an appointment. And you know they will appoint some kind of death eater to replace him. :o 

I didn't see it, but my brother told me some woman from the Arizona Republican party was being interviewed on CNN last night, and she said everyone knows the two worst senators in the country were from Arizona, and they would be working hard to get rid of Jeff Flake.

Under Arizona law, any appointment only lasts until the next state general election, not through the duration of the term being filled. Also, Governor Ducey is fairly moderate as far as Republicans go (he's not on the level of Sandoval, Martinez, Baker, or Hogan; but is definitely on the next tier among GOP Governors) and is pretty strongly opposed to the senate's repeal efforts (albeit not as vocally as Sandoval). 

I hope McCain does beat the cancer, but if he does resign to focus on getting treatment, there's a pretty good chance any replacement would actually be to the left of him.

5 hours ago, Inigima said:

Spare me. He endorsed Trump (albeit revoking it after the Access Hollywood tape came out a month before the election) and has voted with Trump upwards of 90% of the time. McCain talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. McCain has never been solid, McCain has always been a hard right piece of shit who goes on cable TV and pretends to not be evil for five minutes. I don't wish brain cancer on the man, but his "maverick" image is bullshit and always has been.

Finally, someone here noticed! :cheers:

50 minutes ago, Fez said:

Under Arizona law, any appointment only lasts until the next state general election, not through the duration of the term being filled. Also, Governor Ducey is fairly moderate as far as Republicans go (he's not on the level of Sandoval, Martinez, Baker, or Hogan; but is definitely on the next tier among GOP Governors) and is pretty strongly opposed to the senate's repeal efforts (albeit not as vocally as Sandoval). 

I hope McCain does beat the cancer, but if he does resign to focus on getting treatment, there's a pretty good chance any replacement would actually be to the left of him.

Well, that's good to know!

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's so funny that like five days ago you were part of the whining about Republicans refusing to govern or even participate in the governing process.  Now you're all about Dems refusing to govern or even participate in the governing process.  :rolleyes:  Figures.

That's a false equivalency, and I have to imagine you know it. The GOP holds the House, the Senate and the Presidency. They are in a position to govern yet they can't seem to manage the trick. The Dems are only allowed input if the GOP allows for it, and thus far they have not done so.

2 hours ago, denstorebog said:

Check, Trumptard. Your move. (Please fire him, please fire him, throw gasoline on this Donny, you know you want to)

Thanks for putting your abusive co-dependent relationship with the corporate media on full display. No matter how much you black them out and how badly you mistreat and abuse the corporate media, they will always come back. You need them. They need you. You only care about yourself and self aggrandizement. They only care about ratings – democracy, freedom of the press and holding power to account be damned. Sad.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/07/20/thank-you-donald-trump/

2 hours ago, Fez said:

also, iirc, Arizona is one of the few states that has a legal requirement for the governor to appoint a same party senator when making a replacement. So even if Ducey were a democrat, he'd be appointing an interim republican senator.

http://theslot.jezebel.com/the-most-batshit-excerpts-from-that-trump-nyt-interview-1797086287

JFC.

My two favorites -

TRUMP: [...]So, I was seated next to the wife of Prime Minister Abe [Shinzo Abe of Japan], who I think is a terrific guy, and she’s a terrific woman, but doesn’t speak English.

HABERMAN: Like, nothing, right? Like zero?

TRUMP: Like, not “hello.”

Here is Akie Abe giving a keynote address in english for about 15 minutes.

https://youtu.be/Uhn4EFGiZhA?t=142

TRUMP: But what it does, Maggie, it means it gets tougher and tougher. As they get something, it gets tougher. Because politically, you can’t give it away. So pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, “I want my insurance.” It’s a very tough deal, but it is something that we’re doing a good job of.

Our president does not know the difference between life insurance and health insurance.

Well maybe Abe Shinzo pretended not to speak any English, because otherwise he had to endure a conversation with Trump.

Anyway.

2 hours ago, denstorebog said:

Is it the same interview in which Trump suggested that Comey tried to blackmail him with the content of a Russia dossier? Which is brilliant either way. Either this Russia dossier contains some real bombshells, and not just Doofus junior being a true Trump. Or he just made that one up along the way.

17 minutes ago, Week said:

Our president does not know the difference between life insurance and health insurance.

That's not even his funniest mix up:

Just days before his presidential inauguration, Trump met with two Christian leaders at his office in Trump Tower. Invited to pray with the incoming president were the Rev. Patrick O’Connor, senior pastor at the First Presbyterian Church in Jamaica, of Queens, New York ― where the president was confirmed as a child ― and the Rev. Scott Black Johnston, senior pastor of Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church.

In comments previously unreported, the pastors told CNN, Trump boasted: “I did very, very well with evangelicals in the polls.”

O’Connor and Johnston reminded Trump that neither of them is an evangelical. To which the president-elect reportedly asked: “Well, what are you then?”

The pastors are both mainline Protestants ― like Trump, who describes himself as a Presbyterian. O’Connor and Johnston explained this to the president-elect, who nodded and asked them: “But you’re all Christians?”

“Yes,” they said. “We’re all Christians.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-evangelical_us_5931a8bfe4b02478cb9b2600

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Check, Trumptard. Your move. (Please fire him, please fire him, throw gasoline on this Donny, you know you want to)

Devil's Advocate: Trump cleans house, puts stooges in place and Republicans capitulate, thus ending the investigation until if and when Democrats retake a chamber of Congress. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Devil's Advocate: Trump cleans house, puts stooges in place and Republicans capitulate, thus ending the investigation until if and when Democrats retake a chamber of Congress. 

Yeah, I suppose there's no one true path to victory here, but if he does do this, I would have to imagine it would have some fairly marked effect on the 2018 midterms. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

So am I, and what you're suggesting is a self fulfilling prophecy that will lead to further erosions of our democracy. How do you not see this?

If we followed your plan they certainly would be replaced........by Republicans. 

And this is the point I'm making, that saving the foundations of American democracy is more important than worrying if your own team is winning.  Even though their policies significantly harm me and mine personally, I would rather Republicans in charge for a little while than just sit back and allow the Trump Administration to destroy Am democracy.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's a false equivalency, and I have to imagine you know it. The GOP holds the House, the Senate and the Presidency. They are in a position to govern yet they can't seem to manage the trick. The Dems are only allowed input if the GOP allows for it, and thus far they have not done so.

Maybe the dems should try different strategies.  Of course this depends on them being willing to sacrifice their own current career for the greater good.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Why?  Nothing will happen.  Republicans will just move along as though there is nothing to see here and Dems will continue doing nothing except introduce shit things like the attack on free speech bills and liberals in general will continue to pretend that this is all a game that isn't ending really soon.

13 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I suppose there's no one true path to victory here, but if he does do this, I would have to imagine it would have some fairly marked effect on the 2018 midterms. 

Why?

It kind of depends on how it plays out.  Trump cannot fire Mueller directly, he has to ask Rosenstein to do it.  Rosenstein is on record that he won't fire Mueller without good cause, and Trump being unhappy with the investigation would not qualify.  So Trump can fire Rosenstein, and then it is next in line at the AGs office.  It isn't clear if that person will fire Mueller either.  If Trump had to fire three or four people at Justice just to get someone to fire Mueller, it would look really bad.

However, congressional republicans have shown over and over again that they simply do not care about Trump breaking the law.  So while I'm sure Democrats and the press would howl bloody murder, it is all a tempest in a teapot unless Congress acts.  In the long run, that might be the less damaging move for Trump, because Mueller's investigation as a ticking bomb for this administration.  It is just a matter of when, not if, Mueller reveals all kinds of things that Trump would rather stay buried.  The question is only how much of it ties directly to the President, and how much can be blamed on subordinates. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Why?

His approval numbers have dipped in light of the Donny Jr. meeting, haven't they? I get that hardcore Trumpists don't care, but I do believe his more moderate supporters are beginning to turn away from him. I realize that none of this is likely to result in impeachment, but this is damaging the party as a whole, don't you think? 

On top of that, I'm enjoying the drama. I'm all in for it being ratcheted up another notch.

Archived