Frank Darabont is still suing AMC over TWD

PetyrPunkinhead

Frank Darabont didn't like The Walking Dead S1 & S2 writers. Or directors. Or camera operators.

After receiving what he felt was a woefully subpar script from a pair of writers, Darabont tells the exec, "If it were up to me, I'd have not only fired [them], I'd have hunted down and fucking killed them with a brick, then gone and burned down their homes."...

Singling out one key moment in his script — "ANGLE CLOSES ON RICK, seething with fury" — Darabont asks, "What does that suggest? An important moment? It does to me. That's why I fucking wrote it that way. I don't spray random shit on the page. So why is it shot like random shit?"

He goes on to demand that the director responsible for the "boring-as-shit" scene be "replaced... He is an idiot. He needs to leave and take his seeing-eye dog with him. Because even his dog is blind."

Here's the original article with the full rundown of the lawsuit. Damn that shit is complicated. Basically it's the same studio tactics of telling the talent they get a "percent of the profits" but then suddenly there are no "profits."

"Rather than a referendum on me, this lawsuit is about AMC's radically undervaluing The Walking Dead in order not to share profits in a manner reflecting the show's actual fair market value," says Darabont in his affidavit. "This lawsuit is also about AMC's refusal to share the unprecedented success of the show with the people who actually created that success for them, and about AMC's self-dealing and corporate greed.

Another article with Darabont's explanation/justification for the savage tone of his emails is here.

"Each of these emails must be considered in context," he says. "They were sent during an intense and stressful two-year period of work during which I was fighting like a mother lion to protect the show from harm — not only on my own behalf, but ironically also on behalf of AMC.

"Each of these emails was sent because a 'professional' showed up whose laziness, indifference, or incompetence threatened to sink the ship," Darabont continues."My tone was the result of the stress and magnitude of this extraordinary crisis. The language and hyperbole of my emails were harsh, but so were the circumstances."

Kind of fascinating in a morbid way.  Darabont was clearly acting like an ass, yet he was treated like complete shit and from his view wasn't paid properly.  More amusing is all the stuff that has come out about how AMC has been lying to the press about this since he was fired.

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

When glancing over the topics on the page, I thought it said "Frank Drebin" for a minute and got excited that Naked Gun was coming back.  :lol:

I've been waiting for Naked Gun 44-1/4 for as long as I've been waiting for Spaceballs 2: The search for more money!

7 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I've been waiting for Naked Gun 44-1/4 for as long as I've been waiting for Spaceballs 2: The search for more money!

I think Brooks should rename it Spaceballs II: The Box Office Awakens.

17 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

He's absolutely insane.

Well...he was definitely emotionally ill equipped to run a show. I can see how he'd come from directing films expecting his vision to unfold in a very specific way, but some of that shit he wrote was just bananas. I understand being stressed and frustrated, but vent that shit to your friends at a bar or even better to your therapist. Don't put it in emails to your bosses. Yeesh.

10 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I think Brooks should rename it Spaceballs II: The Box Office Awakens.

Brooks has also played with the next movie in series being Spaceballs III: The Search for Spaceballs II

1 hour ago, snowleper said:

To be fair, the walking dead IS a junk show. I'd even value it as being crappier than GOT - which I hate.

Its worst crime is that its just BORING, time and time again, and worse is that sometimes its genuinely good quality, but only for very small amounts of time before it falls straight back into its rut of tedium.

I've no idea if it would have been better had Darabont stayed on the show, it certainly fell off a cliff just after he left.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Its worst crime is that its just BORING, time and time again, and worse is that sometimes its genuinely good quality, but only for very small amounts of time before it falls straight back into its rut of tedium.

I've no idea if it would have been better had Darabont stayed on the show, it certainly fell off a cliff just after he left.

Honestly, I doubt Darabont's presence would have made any substantial difference. I think AMC are quite happy for this show to meander along for as long as possible so long as the ratings are still acceptable (while ratings have dropped, TWD still stands head and shoulders above anything else on AMC in terms of ratings so it is in no danger of cancellation). Because of this the show was doomed to be a 'rinse and repeat' job season after season unto tedium.

He does sound insane but to be honest that's exactly how i suspect directors/producers in Hollywood behave. It doesn't excuse the vitriol but I suspect there are more like him than not.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Unless they settle quick (and potentially even if they do) this could become really, really bad for AMC.  Not just in paying out a billion to people but from a taxes perspective.  They would have been deliberately fudging the books.

Archived