You've been bad, Varys...VERY bad. Give me your thoughts.

I have a theory on Varys that I think explains his motivations, history, etc. This is a summary of that theory, and I want opinions. 

We know all about Varys's past. We know that he did a lot of funky stuff in the free cities, and gained quite the reputation as a spymaster. He had money and prestige and friends and a home....until Aerys (even the names rhyme, kids) calls him across the narrow sea and asks him to feed his paranoia. 

Why would Varys do this? We know the answer: influence and vendetta. Reicipients of royal patronage have quite the life, you know. I think he did not care one whit about Westeros or Aerys and simply fed the Targaryen troll as much information as he needed to in order to stay in Aerys's good graces while slowly building up power and influence for his own purposes. Aerys needed someone to give form to his mass delusions and Varys had no qualms doing that. He made the realm bleed,  like Littlefinger is doing now, for his own gain. Why not? It wasn't his land, these weren't his people...he was quietly playing the game of spider webs. It didn't really matter, because he was sure Robert would lose and Rhaegar would make good on his promise of reforms. If that meant telling Aerys that his son and heir was conspiring against him, big deal. One thing that paranoid, delusional people crave and need like heroin addicts are the "shadows on the wall" and the "knives in the darkness". Whether real or imaginary, they need someone to feed them and believe them. 

Varys was fine up until the sack of King's Landing. I think this is where his thinking turned around. Suddenly, Rhaegar is dead and Robert is the victor. Stark is on his way to take the city, and Tywin is knocking on Aerys's door. This is the moment where Varys tried to stop what he put in motion by begging Aerys not to open the gates...to no avail. 

You know the stories, kids. Varys is now on a path to redemption. He saved the Targaryen babes, he even produced a Targaryen cuckoo, just in case the babes got SIDS or stabbed. Who's with me? 

Oh, and remember: he did get what he wanted, but look at the cost. The worst thing in life is getting what you thought you always wanted. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 7:20 PM, Rain on Wednesday said:

I have a theory on Varys that I think explains his motivations, history, etc. This is a summary of that theory, and I want opinions. 

We know all about Varys's past. We know that he did a lot of funky stuff in the free cities, and gained quite the reputation as a spymaster. He had money and prestige and friends and a home....until Aerys (even the names rhyme, kids) calls him across the narrow sea and asks him to feed his paranoia. 

Why would Varys do this? We know the answer: influence and vendetta. Reicipients of royal patronage have quite the life, you know. I think he did not care one whit about Westeros or Aerys and simply fed the Targaryen troll as much information as he needed to in order to stay in Aerys's good graces while slowly building up power and influence for his own purposes. Aerys needed someone to give form to his mass delusions and Varys had no qualms doing that. He made the realm bleed,  like Littlefinger is doing now, for his own gain. Why not? It wasn't his land, these weren't his people...he was quietly playing the game of spider webs. It didn't really matter, because he was sure Robert would lose and Rhaegar would make good on his promise of reforms. If that meant telling Aerys that his son and heir was conspiring against him, big deal. One thing that paranoid, delusional people crave and need like heroin addicts are the "shadows on the wall" and the "knives in the darkness". Whether real or imaginary, they need someone to feed them and believe them. 

Varys was fine up until the sack of King's Landing. I think this is where his thinking turned around. Suddenly, Rhaegar is dead and Robert is the victor. Stark is on his way to take the city, and Tywin is knocking on Aerys's door. This is the moment where Varys tried to stop what he put in motion by begging Aerys not to open the gates...to no avail. 

You know the stories, kids. Varys is now on a path to redemption. He saved the Targaryen babes, he even produced a Targaryen cuckoo, just in case the babes got SIDS or stabbed. Who's with me? 

Oh, and remember: he did get what he wanted, but look at the cost. The worst thing in life is getting what you thought you always wanted. 

i always thought there is more to his story than what he says in his POVs.....and so for imo with all the fAegon thing given in books i believe there is chance he is a blackfyre and wants to put a blackfyre on the throne 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting but why is Varys doing this? What is his ideal end game? The Blackfyre motivation makes sense, sort of, that he destabalised the Targs to put a Blackfyre on the throne though there are some holes that need filling there.

I refused to believe it is for the good of the realm. You don't start a war that causes so much pain & destruction, rape & murder to the common people & credible say it's for their good. Varys did cause this war, he didnt quite want it when it came but Little Finger found his plan & accelated it along. Aery's madness persecuted the lords and Robert's drunkeness got the crown in debt not the people. The people would have been fine if they both had long reigns.

Archived