if you could change

Graydon Hicks

this is topic i just want to have some fun with. if you could make any one change to the series, what would it be? it could be anything, but only one change. for example, i would have pick between a few changes to give one to the series, like make the stakr children all werewolves that have their first change at the red wedding, and have robb pretty much eat walder frey. or maybe drop a magic sword somewhere, say finding frostmourne under winterfell. or stuff like that. come one, come up with a single change, any kind of change, and tell us about it.

8 hours ago, Graydon Hicks said:

this is topic i just want to have some fun with. if you could make any one change to the series, what would it be? it could be anything, but only one change. for example, i would have pick between a few changes to give one to the series, like make the stakr children all werewolves that have their first change at the red wedding, and have robb pretty much eat walder frey. or maybe drop a magic sword somewhere, say finding frostmourne under winterfell. or stuff like that. come one, come up with a single change, any kind of change, and tell us about it.

I would make it so fans would never feel that they could write the story better than the author 

I would add 1 year to the age of every character.  Robb goes to war at 16, Jon is elected LC at 17, Dany marries at 14, almost 15.  It makes the actions of the younger characters easier to swallow, but doesn't unbalance the story, as a greater increase would.

40 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I would add 1 year to the age of every character.

On this I'd go even further - everybody by two years as to make things more believable (I'm looking at you, Arya!) . I see no need for three.

As to the one change I'd like to see. This changes on an hourly basis :D

ATM it would be "Aerys sets off wildfyre caches". So, when, when Ned approaches he finds a firestorms and some Lannister stragglers.

All top men from the Lannister family dead. Ten year old Tyrion Lord of the Westerlands (until Cersei suffocates him a pillow two days later?)

No Iron Throne.

Is there a Seven Kingdoms at all?

IMO the Rebel Army, without the Westerlands contingent, is as large as that of the Reach (or Reach + Dorne). Imposing a new regime (if there is one at all, if the rebels do not go their separate ways at this point) on the two southernmost kingdoms might be a tad difficult :)

But this would be a different tale ... :D

5 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I would make it so fans would never feel that they could write the story better than the author 

i dont think i could write it 'better', but if i was in complete control then things would go differently

this is true of literally everything in the world; if i had creative control over it, it would have ended differently

GRRM has commented on this himself, stating that if he had written LOTR Gandalf would have remained dead. Is that him saying hes better than tolkien, or that he has different interests and angles for coming at a story from

Probably the fact it was Joffery who decided to send the assassin after Bran. Maybe change it so that Littlefinger influenced him. Or maybe cut a couple of Brienne chapters from Feast. But there are very few things I feel about this way.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

I would add 1 year to the age of every character.  Robb goes to war at 16, Jon is elected LC at 17, Dany marries at 14, almost 15.  It makes the actions of the younger characters easier to swallow, but doesn't unbalance the story, as a greater increase would.

Yes, that is a good point, at least in terms of the Stark kids. Of course GRRM has confirmed he would have done something similar himself when he was talking about the intended five year gap getting cut. 

It's hard to answer without the story being complete.  Adding age to the kids would be minimally impactful to the story, and make it more palatable for me.  As it is, I just choose to think that years in this world equate to 15 months in ours.

Other than that, I would want more building of the origins of the Free Folk.  Tormund, Ygritt, Lord of Bones...what was their life like growing up north of the wall?

As it is, all we really know is told from the perspective of the people of the Seven Kingdoms, so more detail would be interesting to me.

54 minutes ago, Fishb20 said:

i dont think i could write it 'better', but if i was in complete control then things would go differently

this is true of literally everything in the world; if i had creative control over it, it would have ended differently

GRRM has commented on this himself, stating that if he had written LOTR Gandalf would have remained dead. Is that him saying hes better than tolkien, or that he has different interests and angles for coming at a story from

But GRRM put his money where his mouth was and wrote his own fantasy epic, so he can talk all about what he would have done with the lord of the rings 

1 hour ago, Rickard of House Rakkoon said:

I would change it so that fans didnt belittle other fans for using their imagination about a story they love. It cultivates the mind and maybe inspires others to write their own novels.

i agree, thinking of alternate timelines where things went differently is very enjoyable

Archived