[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

teemo

11 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sandra was hilarious in this episode. Calling everyone else stupid, too. Funniest moment: Sandra saying Ned didn't keep her safe. Sandra's got no regrets.

Yeah Sansa calling Ned and Robb stupid is really annoying. And Jon stands there and listens to that crap. And then she compares Jon to Joffrey and retracts it the next second. Thank goodness she didn't compare him to Ramsay. Sansa is got selective memory and a split personality. All the men in her family couldn't protect her because they were too stupid but she's smart now just like her mentor Cersei. 

My biggest problem was the Sam scene clearly went to long with a "a ha" moment he should have known already and Arya apparently has the ability to gather and kill all the male Freys but can't get around to releasing her uncle.

I don't really have a problem with the Dragonstone stuff - if three dragons approached with that fleet at their rear I'd expect any token garrison to run, fast.  And pretty sure in the show Cersei hasn't had any ships since BoB, so I suppose that's fine (as is her knowledge of such a fleet approaching - Qyburn would know).  Even cutting them some slack, though, this does mean that there should be quite a big naval confrontation between Euron and Dany's fleet very, very soon.  I'm not holding my breath.

10 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

Yes, I can't believe the spoilers are true. How could an entire season leak? Also, someone is giving an episode leak every week on FreeFolk. The plot sounds bad. I dread the LF plot. 

jesus...if all those spoilers are true, that means Rhaegar's two sons had the same name. wtf

Also, while Lyanna is surely cringeworthy, she's still a child - you get what they're going for. They just did too much.

Tell me Euron isn't more difficult to watch. He's still such a joke while remembering Damphair's TWOW chapter, or anything Victarion has ever said about him.

Not sure whether I dislike him more than the sandsnakes or not yet.

As someone upthread said after that long tedious and rather disgusting scene of Sam picking and cleaning shit he finally is rewarded by learning about obsidian on Dragonstone, something he already knew. And if the point of Sam cleaning shit and puking over and over again was to show his routine, I'm sure there were 10 different ways to relay that message in far less time and more efficiently. 

14 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Yeah Sansa calling Ned and Robb stupid is really annoying. And Jon stands there and listens to that crap. And then she compares Jon to Joffrey and retracts it the next second. Thank goodness she didn't compare him to Ramsay. Sansa is got selective memory and a split personality. All the men in her family couldn't protect her because they were too stupid but she's smart now just like her mentor Cersei. 

it seems like she is supposed to be #GIRLPOWER. 

Ok, so I actually didn't hate all of S7 E1.    It was arguably in my opinion better than any episode from S6.  That doesn't make it good, but not awful, there were actually a couple of scenes I liked, mainly the Hounds scenes.

Things it does confirm for me in the books: (this is the main reason I'm still watching) Red Wedding II is definitely happening in Riverrun in the books. And the key Jaquen/Pates steals will be significant for getting some important information out of the Citadel, and Euron will definitely be trying to ally with Cersei the mad queen somehow

Now my complaints, with just 13 episodes to tell the rest of the story you'd think they can allocate screen time better. The Arya soldier scene was a complete waste of time (I'm sure next epiode we'll get a scene of Arya riding away with all of them dead, somethow). The Euron courting Cersei scene was just awful, this Euron is awful, he has none of charisma/magnestism of the Euron that's required to make him seem appealing to any one or dangerous enough to be a threat.  Sansa split personality is even worse this season, she in the same scene tells Jon he's "really good at (ruling)" and then tell him he's being stupid and will get himself killed liked Ned and Robb.  Make up your mind Sansa.

All in all, I'm thinking this season will be better than season 5-6, because 1: they had more time to work on the scripts than past seasons, that combined with fewer episodes means probably slightly less cringeworthy writing.  2: They're mostly past the getting the pieces in position for the final climax phase of the story (which was most of season 5 and 6) which is probably the part where they had the least instruction from GRRM, who probably told them how things are going to end but didn't give much detail on how the characters get into their positions for what happens at the end (mostly because he himself is still working that out).  And history has shown that these writers are much better when they have GRRM's framework to work from than if they tried to come up with stuff on their own. I have a feeling that season 7 and 8 they will be working more with GRRM's stuff than they did in season 5 and 6.

4 minutes ago, teej6 said:

As someone upthread said after that long tedious and rather disgusting scene of Sam picking and cleaning shit he finally is rewarded by learning about obsidian on Dragonstone, something he already knew. And if the point of Sam cleaning shit and puking over and over again was to show his routine, I'm sure there were 10 different ways to relay that message in far less time and more efficiently. 

Yes, instead of some clever political intrigue the show is focusing on cheap gags.

I had watched the latest episode of Twin Peaks before watching this, and the difference in writing quality-- especially in regards to dialogue that is meant, in part, as exposition -- is gigantic. The scene with Jamie explaining to Cersei who The Crown's enemies are was painful to watch.

6 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Ok, so I actually didn't hate all of S7 E1.    It was arguably in my opinion better than any episode from S6.  That doesn't make it good, but not awful, there were actually a couple of scenes I liked, mainly the Hounds scenes.

Things it does confirm for me in the books: (this is the main reason I'm still watching) Red Wedding II is definitely happening in Riverrun in the books. And the key Jaquen/Pates steals will be significant for getting some important information out of the Citadel, and Euron will definitely be trying to ally with Cersei the mad queen somehow

Now my complaints, with just 13 episodes to tell the rest of the story you'd think they can allocate screen time better. The Arya soldier scene was a complete waste of time (I'm sure next epiode we'll get a scene of Arya riding away with all of them dead, somethow). The Euron courting Cersei scene was just awful, this Euron is awful, he has none of charisma/magnestism of the Euron that's required to make him seem appealing to any one or dangerous enough to be a threat.  Sansa split personality is even worse this season, she in the same scene tells Jon he's "really good at (ruling)" and then tell him he's being stupid and will get himself killed liked Ned and Robb.  Make up your mind Sansa.

All in all, I'm thinking this season will be better than season 5-6, because 1: they had more time to work on the scripts than past seasons, that combined with fewer episodes means probably slightly less cringeworthy writing.  2: They're mostly past the getting the pieces in position for the final climax phase of the story (which was most of season 5 and 6) which is probably the part where they had the least instruction from GRRM, who probably told them how things are going to end but didn't give much detail on how the characters get into their positions for what happens at the end (mostly because he himself is still working that out).  And history has shown that these writers are much better when they have GRRM's framework to work from than if they tried to come up with stuff on their own. I have a feeling that season 7 and 8 they will be working more with GRRM's stuff than they did in season 5 and 6.

I hope so. The hound scenes were definitely positive. It really has become a matter of just taking the good and trying to ignore the garbage. I don't know who the actor that plays Euron is and will never actively find out, but he is so obviously miscast that someone should go ahead and give the iron throne to that man's agent.

4 minutes ago, TakashiMifune said:

I had watched the latest episode of Twin Peaks before watching this, and the difference in writing quality-- especially in regards to dialogue that is meant, in part, as exposition -- is gigantic. The scene with Jamie explaining to Cersei who The Crown's enemies are was painful to watch.

I also did the same, hoping that I was saving the best for last, hah!

While Twin Peaks can be infuriating for altogether different reasons, the quality has not dropped since the return.

lol, so many people think that characters like Sansa and the Sand Snakes and Talisa are so "empowering" and that if you disagree you're a sexist, but in reality more of the opposite is true and shows how shallow D&D's views of women are.  They identify "strong women" as those who backtalk kings and tell others how stupid they are all of the time....no matter how unrealistic it is in the setting.  That's one thing I love about GRRM's writing compared to this - the women are strong but not in ways that are completely unrealistic in the era and cringeworthy and just scream "I'M A WOMAN HEAR ME RAWR!"

1 minute ago, TakashiMifune said:

D&D think the game of thrones audience are incredibly dense and have the memory capacity of goldfish that is the difference, I guess we are all in some way responsible for that, the shows popularity means they have to cater to dim-witted .They constantly have dialogue recapping things that have happened in previous points

What is really off to me is that apparently LF knows that Brienne fought the Hound, but Brienne didn't even tell Sansa that Arya was with the Hound.(She said Arya was with a man) Does this mean that Sansa/Jon knows that Arya was with the Hound??

5 minutes ago, TakashiMifune said:

Yes, all the scenes with Cersei/Jaime/Kingslanding were uniformly awful.  The tone is off, the characters make no sense. It contradicts its own logic. In one scene Cersei acts as though alliance with teh Ironborn is a great coup on her part, in the next she rejects it anyway so she still has no allies. 

59 minutes ago, teej6 said:

I never thought a scene in which Arya kills Freys would be so underwhelming and make me feel so indifferent to the whole Stark revenge plotline. I mean even if you turn a blind eye to the illogical and inconsistent plot of how Arya manages to walk around the Twins unnoticed killing and baking Frey pies and then invite all the Frey men pretending to be Walder, the whole scene itself was boring as hell. Trust D&D to turn what should have been a fist pumping moment to a meh moment. 

This was my feeling too. After the Red Wedding gutted me all those years ago when I read it, and all this time of waiting for some vengeance from the Starks--wow. This was absolutely...nothing for me. I felt nothing. It was obvious from the first second what was going on, and even then, I had no sense of "oh yeah!" No buildup. No nothing. Just jump right in. She's her own personal army.

I have nothing to complain about, the show was good, really enjoyed it. A mild annoyance at Sansa talking about how stupid Ned and Robb were when she's kinda the one that got Ned into the mess he was in.

Also I dont really see why the Hound is still alive. I dont see the point. Euron whether in the books or the show is not a replacement for Ramsay, Ramsay makes that guy look like a girl scout.

15 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I liked the Hound scenes, too. Lots of people are saying that, I think because it was a bit humorous. One thing that would help is if the show wasn't so deadly serious all the time. It's not realistic.

Like the Brienne and Pod scene, instead of her being a brute as usual, they could have had them talking about little things, like real people do. It's hard to believe people like this exist.

Archived