[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

teemo

1 minute ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Yes, all the scenes with Cersei/Jaime/Kingslanding were uniformly awful.  The tone is off, the characters make no sense. It contradicts its own logic. In one scene Cersei acts as though alliance with teh Ironborn is a great coup on her part, in the next she rejects it anyway so she still has no allies. 

Apparently, Cersei is manipulating Euron to do her bidding without agreeing to a proposal.

5 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

What is really off to me is that apparently LF knows that Brienne fought the Hound, but Brienne didn't even tell Sansa that Arya was with the Hound.(She said Arya was with a man) Does this mean that Sansa/Jon knows that Arya was with the Hound??

I believe so. An odd, unspecified amount of time has passed. Young Sam is almost a teenager. Jamie wants to know why they never talk about Tommen. Dany has been at sea this whole time, so I guess they sailed East out of Essos? Dragonstone looks like a crime scene. Meera dragged Bran across the entire North, etc.

3 minutes ago, teemo said:

lol, so many people think that characters like Sansa and the Sand Snakes and Talisa are so "empowering" and that if you disagree you're a sexist, but in reality more of the opposite is true and shows how shallow D&D's views of women are.  They identify "strong women" as those who backtalk kings and tell others how stupid they are all of the time....no matter how unrealistic it is in the setting.  That's one thing I love about GRRM's writing compared to this - the women are strong but not in ways that are completely unrealistic in the era and cringeworthy and just scream "I'M A WOMAN HEAR ME RAWR!"

Because do not understand, even in the slightest, medieval society and mindset. They only have the modern mindset and all their "girl power" stuff comes from current day sensibilities on what "empowerment" looks like.

For example the whole thing about women fighting in this episode.  A medieval society that's faced with survival issues do not sent their women to fight. They would send them further away from danger because the survival of those who are able to give birth to children are far more crucial to the survival of your society than the survial those who can't.  Having women joining the fighting forces is a modern issue but that's all D&D knows. 

How does Jon not know to listen to Sansa yet? Does he forget how ignoring her advice last year cost him the vast majority of his army? 

How long was Arya dressed as Walder for? Did she just wait around for a few weeks while the dozens of Freys from all walks of like came home? How did she logistically get poison into every single drop of wine at the feast, yet manage to avoid any collateral damage whatsoever in the form of wives, servants or cooks swilling some of it out the back? 

Also, wow, there was an empty Dragonstone sitting there the whole fucking time since season 4 and not Cersei or Jaime ever thought that taking it was a good idea or use of resources? "How do we get allies Cheryl?" "Well fuck Larry, I dunno, maybe we'll give them this big ol' island sitting within spitting distance?" Especially glaring in an episode where Sansa specifically says that giving people castles to make them loyal is something she learned from Cheryl. 

How this show has won awards for writing post season two is fucking beyond me.

At least Emilia's one facial expression and monotone voice was appropriate for her scene tonight. God help her if she has to look surprised, angry or aroused this season though.

4 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I liked the Hound scenes, too. Lots of people are saying that, I think because it was a bit humorous. One thing that would help is if the show wasn't so deadly serious all the time. It's not realistic.

Like the Brienne and Pod scene, instead of her being a brute as usual, they could have had them talking about little things, like real people do. It's hard to believe people like this exist.

It's humorous, but Clegane also brings a weight to the character and the story that other parts of the show struggle with. Also, Thoros and Beric are interesting characters in their own right and more fun to watch than someone trying to imitate captain Jack Sparrow and not even succeeding the barest minimum of that.

2 minutes ago, The Onion Kniggit said:

Wow I cannot believe I haven't been on this site in almost year.

Are the Stormlands still unoccupied by anybody or something? We know the Lannisters control the Crownlands, Westerlands and the Riverlands which makes three kingdoms as Jaime mentioned.

Going by the logic in this episode, Storm's end is more than likely abandoned and ready to host a claimant to the crown.

13 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I liked the Hound scenes, too. Lots of people are saying that, I think because it was a bit humorous. One thing that would help is if the show wasn't so deadly serious all the time. It's not realistic.

Like the Brienne and Pod scene, instead of her being a brute as usual, they could have had them talking about little things, like real people do. It's hard to believe people like this exist.

The Hound scenes weren't just humorous, they were human.  It shows (rather than tells) how the Hound has changed as a character, his reluctance to enter the house, to the scene where he buries the dead, shows us he's not the same person he was before, without him or anyone saying it, we see it, we feel it.  That's what this show has lacked,for example, they chould have shown us how Jon is good at being King rather than have Sansa tell us in the that cringeworthy scene.

6 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

It's humorous, but Clegane also brings a weight to the character and the story that other parts of the show struggle with. Also, Thoros and Beric are interesting characters in their own right and more fun to watch than someone trying to imitate captain Jack Sparrow and not even succeeding the barest minimum of that.

Yeah, the Clegane scene worked because it was actually earned. They did the minimum to get there - an episode of idyllic life with Septon Swearingen - but they did put in the work. We believe that Clegane has reflected and regrets how he treated the farmer and his daughter. For me it wasn't the humor, it was the actual growth and emotion that we get to see written in a logical and consistent arc - something lacking in quite a few other arcs.

eta: actually, I think the poster above me said it better.

7 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Because do not understand, even in the slightest, medieval society and mindset. They only have the modern mindset and all their "girl power" stuff comes from current day sensibilities on what "empowerment" looks like.

For example the whole thing about women fighting in this episode.  A medieval society that's faced with survival issues do not sent their women to fight. They would send them further away from danger because the survival of those who are able to give birth to children are far more crucial to the survival of your society than the survial those who can't.  Having women joining the fighting forces is a modern issue but that's all D&D knows. 

True but really, this isnt a real medieval society. They're kinda about to go to war with some white walkers and other non authentic medieval time beings.

3 minutes ago, Ser Edmure Tully said:

How does Jon not know to listen to Sansa yet? Does he forget how ignoring her advice last year cost him the vast majority of his army? 

It makes no sense. She speaks up in private or in meetings and it's wrong. She withholds information or gives advice and it's wrong. He's a great leader, but he's dumb. What is going on here?  Oh! and the beauty line for me was when Jon told Sansa that it sounded like she admired Cersei. I didn't get that impression at all- thankfully when the acting/writing fails, a character steps up to just tell me what I was suppose to be seeing. 

5 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

The Hound scenes weren't just humorous, they were human.  It shows (rather than tells) how the Hound has changed as a character, his reluctance to enter the house, to the scene where he buries the dead, shows us he's not the same person he was before, without him or anyone saying it, we see it, we feel it.  That's what this show has lacked,for example, they chould have shown us how Jon is good at being King rather than have Sansa tell us in the that cringeworthy scene.

Exactly, the Jon and Sansa plot is so bad, they have resorted to having the characters tell us. Sansa says Jon is a good king, and Jon says Sansa  admires Cersei. 

There are far too many over the top cartoon villains, its painful to watch bc George is so talented at avoiding one dimensional characters, D&D seem oblivious to the fact Jaime of the books is on a redemption arc instead opting for him plodding around playing a supporting role to the Lena headey is a bad ass bitch queen role .Lena headey is so good at portraying Cercei but it appears to me that the writers are basically bending over back ways trying to find ways to keep her included in the story for every single episode to the point were even diehard fans of Lena Headey's Cercei must be sick of the sight of her. They made Ramsay a mustache twirling villain completely irredeemable (against everything George RR Martin  believes in when it comes to character writing) and in the process ruined Jons character, i have no idea why the Northerners would be so impressed by a bastard deserter that rushed at the enemy, got thousands of wildlings and North men killed and was moments away from defeat, they named him King for that? I'm guessing in the books jon comes to the aid of Stannis and defeats Ramsay and from that earns the right to be named king in the North. Sam suddenly realising that stannis saying dragonstone was covered in dragonglass wasn't just something odd he lied about, well that was ridiculous

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

Yeah, the Clegane scene worked because it was actually earned. They did the minimum to get there - an episode of idyllic life with Septon Swearingen - but they did put in the work. We believe that Clegane has reflected and regrets how he treated the farmer and his daughter. For me it wasn't the humor, it was the actual growth and emotion that we get to see written in a logical and consistent arc - something lacking in quite a few other arcs.

It's amazing what bringing a little realism to a script can do. Always better to follow a character's journey than to just be fed pointless exposition. 

It's sad when people post "How I would have done it" in relation to how certain scenes play out, and I'm usually thinking to myself, yeah, that actually would have been better. Always makes me wonder what, besides making money, they are trying to accomplish.

14 minutes ago, Ser Edmure Tully said:

What? He asked her advice. She said, "I don't know. Just don't do anything that's obvious." You know, instead of telling him that the Knights of the Vale are camped at Moat Cailin and that she had sent a raven asking for help.

4 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

They made Ramsay a mustache twirling villain completely irredeemable (against everything George RR Martin  believes in when it comes to character writing)

Well too be fair, Ramsay is far worse in the books and if anything they made him a more capable and intelligent villain on the show.

20 good men not withstanding...

3 minutes ago, Ice Walker said:

What? He asked her advice. She said, "I don't know. Just don't do anything that's obvious." You know, instead of telling him that the Knights of the Vale are camped at Moat Cailin and that she had sent a raven asking for help.

Oh, you mean the exact type of treasonous behavior that a traitor might be executed for?

3 minutes ago, Ice Walker said:

I was thinking more of when she told him not to fall for Ramsay's traps and then he concocted the brilliant, on-the-go battle plan of "charge". I mean yeah her advice was pretty vague, but he did go against it by doing the most literally obvious thing in the world. 

Archived