[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

teemo

10 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I am a huge Arya fan, heck I name my dog Arya.  And I can't stand ShowArya.  I really don't care if she dies at all. Well, it would make me really sad that it foreshadows something bad for BookArya, that's the extent I care about ShowArya's fate.

:agree:

Lots of people argue that Arya's arc has been the most closely adapted, but the whole HoBaW and Arya arc there is a total misrepresentation for me. Same location but otherwise the opposite of what it is in the books. It's not a badassery training. And if anything it is teaching her to recognize her physical limitations, her feminity and to kill with prudence. I hate everything they did with it in S5, S6 and now S7. It's a grotesquerie.

1 hour ago, RetconKillah said:

I think the worst part about the episode is that I'll have to go into work and listen to everyone talk about how great the episode was and describe characters instead of remembering their names (a very common thing that happens).

Just ask them about how Edmure's doing.

I have to agree about what they have done with Arya.  Hell, I wonder if Arya doesn't go to Maisie's head and give her some real ego problems later in life.  Bringing in your star's favorite pop icon for a cameo goes a long way to support that.  Arya has hit critical mass: They have to redirect her character north because if she goes south to kill Cersei there isn't anything that can stop her in the show.  I don't think they can get away with killing her either now that she is the avatar of feel-good revenginess driving the mass audience.

I really have to tell myself to stop thinking when watching an episode.

LIke others I assumed Sam had already told Jon, or Stannis had told Jon about the dragonglass as Dragonstone. Isn't that the type of into to tell the LC of the NW in S5? I don't care that D&D forget about making a scene of that in S5, but to realize you forgot and then have your character forget is kid theater writing. :bang:

They handwave travel distance, knowing things from the other side of the world while not in possession of ravens, not knowing things that a character would know with an easy recon when it's plot convenient... but then Sam's fuck-up.

And all the teleporting and instant messenger pisses me off about their stance of "only dragons and Bran have magic, (oh and Beric, and Jon and the Mountain)" but otherwise we don't want to put it in the show (no direwolves). Put in some Qaithe, glass candles or something, and then you do'nt have this hypocrtical situation of claiming "it has to be real, not magic" but people doing impossible things.

Agh, well they jumped the Shark for me when in S5 they had Brienne say to Pod they'd just go around Moat Cailin.

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Willas Tyrell has a bad leg. He can still walk. Bran can neither walk nor father children. He won't be able to continue the line of House Stark. If Rickon dies in the books, too, Winterfell will eventually pass to Sansa or her descendants anyway.

And the people of the Reach aren't as hard or cruel as the Northmen. They want their lords to be strong. If they are not then they are quickly pushed aside.

Bran was never Lord of Winterfell. He was the younger brother of the heir/lord/king and 'the Stark at Winterfell' but Winterfell and the North were run by Cassel and Maester Luwin.

Oh, there is a solution for this. We know 'Hold the door' works completely different in the show than it will in the books. That has been confirmed. It won't be a non existent door in the cave. It will be the Black Gate, when Hodor and Meera return to the Seven Kingdoms. Bran will possess Hodor to open it and then he will somehow merge with the gate to hold it against the Others. That is what's going to create the temporal paradox within Hodor's mind. The weirwoods don't perceive time as a river, they see everything at once. Once connected to/merging with a weirwood Hodor is going to see his own linear existence the same way a weirwood sees its existence, and that's going to shatter his mind.

It cannot reasonably happen the same way it happened in the show. That makes no sense at all. There is still a chance that Bran would accompany Meera and Hodor but this is a realistic book series. Bran would *never* make it back alive now that winter has come. He cannot walk. And the idea that the Others really can/will attack the Children does not seem very convincing to me at this point. They are not enemies as far as we know.

And in the books he can contact and interact with anybody he wants and has to via the weirwoods. He does not have to be physically with the heroes. That is actually more likely to endanger him than help him. And it would actually diminish his role as an 'old god'. While people don't realize Brandon Stark is talking to them he can awe them into submission by appearing to them as a god. That should help him making people do what (he thinks) is necessary. 

Seeing as you know the outcome and how the books will turn out can you please hurry up and finish them as GRRM is taking far too long

2 hours ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

Euron: I remembered when you crushed us at sea

Yeah sure it was the lannisters. Remember Tywin was such a genius all his ships got burnt. This is canon to the show.

Yes, don´t even start about constant retconing...BTW, for what was Show!Eron exiled? It sems to be about defeat in rebellion. Could Balon technically even do that?

1 minute ago, Rhodan said:

Yes, don´t even start about constant retconing...BTW, for what was Show!Eron exiled? It sems to be about defeat in rebellion. Could Balon technically even do that?

Good question. Why would Euron be exiled for his part in The Rebellion yet the one crowned himself king was allowed to keep his lands and titles. Just goes to show you that cutting and changing stuff and then trying to paylip service to make it "the same" as the books really comes back on you.

14 minutes ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

Good question. Why would Euron be exiled for his part in The Rebellion yet the one crowned himself king was allowed to keep his lands and titles. Just goes to show you that cutting and changing stuff and then trying to paylip service to make it "the same" as the books really comes back on you.

And at least they honored Stannis' memory by acknowledging that he crushed the Iron Fleet during the Rebellion.....oh wait......

17 hours ago, SuperMario said:

I disagree. Willas Tyrell is a cripple who is in line to inherit Highgarden, though, that doesn't exist in the show. And it's not like Bran hasn't been Lord of Winterfell before. Once Robb departed for war, he left Winterfell in Bran's hands, and the other lords and vassals seemed to follow him just fine. Not to stick up for this show as it is misogynistic in so many other ways, but Bran returning follows typical succession rights established by GRRM. It would not be misogynistic for Bran to be the ruler of Winterfell over Sansa and even Jon. He is the last true-born son of Ned Stark.

And I also disagree that Bran won't leave the cave in the books. Before last season I would have agreed with you, but Hodor seems too important for it not to happen in the books. It might be slightly different in how it plays out, but I think Bran will escape using Hodor.

To me bran will warg hodor in a vision and use him to hold a door in that vision. And this warging is what makes hodor.

This will make bran stop messing with the past.

9 minutes ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

At least they showed that his advice and interest in mining Dragonglass from Dragonstone went somewhere....... oh......

At least they honored his memory by showing his well organised troops on Dragonstone... oh...

On 7/17/2017 at 4:16 PM, Gertrude said:

Exactly my point.

I thought that was what they were going for showing only one eye glowing, the right one being gone. That's how Wun Wun died. Also, Wun Wun is credited on the IMDB page and I know that's notoriously unreliable, but my gut is telling me that's what the writers wanted to go for. I want to be wrong.

Is it possible they took Wun Wun's body North of the wall to be buried.

1 minute ago, pinoyathletics said:

Is it possible they took Wun Wun's body North of the wall to be buried.

Not a chance. Wun Wun died at Winterfell. It would be logistically very difficult to move a dead giant's body all the way up north of the wall from Winterfell during winter. If the Ds were going for fan lip service and that was Wun Wun, then just another plot hole. Add it to the list.

1 hour ago, SuperMario said:

Not a chance. Wun Wun died at Winterfell. It would be logistically very difficult to move a dead giant's body all the way up north of the wall from Winterfell during winter. If the Ds were going for fan lip service and that was Wun Wun, then just another plot hole. Add it to the list.

I would like to know how long would that list be by now.

8 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

And in the show Sansa's even discovered this since his supposed killing and she still hasn't discussed this with Jon!

Back in season four, Sam told Jon that Bran was still alive North of the Wall. So he and Sansa both know their brother is out there somewhere, and yet they've both managed to conveniently forget about that. . . 

5 hours ago, RetconKillah said:

But one of the major issues I had was when Sansa was telling Jon about how the south is undefended, as if there is no Moat Cailin to defend the north.

According to Brienne, you can just go around it now ;)

3 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Back in season four, Sam told Jon that Bran was still alive North of the Wall. So he and Sansa both know their brother is out there somewhere, and yet they've both managed to conveniently forget about that. . . 

I find more amazing that in the same conversation Jaime tells that they have no more heirs/lanisters and cersei says that they can make a dinasty that will last a thousand years for them. Who the fuck will reign after cersei? They simply glossed over that!

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Hahaha, it just hit me that Jon and Sansa still haven't discussed Bran, like they just forgot about that brother who they both know is alive.

Eh. Cut her some slack. She is too busy stomping on the legacy of dead family members to care about ones she knows are alive.

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

Eh. Cut her some slack. She is too busy stomping on the legacy of dead family members to care about ones she knows are alive.

LOL, she actually deserves LF now as her partner, since it appears she's learned only the wrong lessons from all of her trials....to be like Cersei and the pimp.  Nice.

Archived