Mihai Brasoveanu

The vision in the flames (SPOILERS)

49 posts in this topic

If we combine what we know from the books and show, I think that Mel was just interpreting/channelling what the 3 Eyed Raven was greenseeing. Thoros probably was also.

Now Bran is the 3 Eyed Raven. We saw at the start of the episode that bran was focused on the movements of the Nights King and his undead followers, so when Thoros channelled what bran was greenseeing the hound saw that in the flames. Why it doesn't match up to any particular location is that Thoros got snippets of bran having tracked them in multiple locations - magic is a double edged sword and all that.

Mel will likewise probably see what bran greenseers now.

This suggests to me another answer for a long standing mystery - why did the NK head back south? Bran was born. In a way, Dany, Jon, Jamie etc are all red hearing with the show's magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ummester said:

If we combine what we know from the books and show, I think that Mel was just interpreting/channelling what the 3 Eyed Raven was greenseeing. Thoros probably was also.

Now Bran is the 3 Eyed Raven. We saw at the start of the episode that bran was focused on the movements of the Nights King and his undead followers, so when Thoros channelled what bran was greenseeing the hound saw that in the flames. Why it doesn't match up to any particular location is that Thoros got snippets of bran having tracked them in multiple locations - magic is a double edged sword and all that.

Mel will likewise probably see what bran greenseers now.

This suggests to me another answer for a long standing mystery - why did the NK head back south? Bran was born. In a way, Dany, Jon, Jamie etc are all red hearing with the show's magic.

I agree with everything you said, except the end.  Jon Is AA, and Dany + Dragons = Lightbringer. Together they are the Prince that was Promised, and the darkness shall flee before them.

...after they hook up of course, because "clasp" is part of the prophecy, right:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

The Hound is Lightbringer, having met the fire god at an early age. He will later die figthing wights alongside Berric, and will be brought back to life by Thoros (by command of a dying Beric, who recognizes Sandor's a greater benefit to the cause). Sandor will later weild a flaming sword in the battle against the other undead Clegane: his brother, when he comes to avenge the death of Arya who died at the hands of Robert Strong in an attempt to kill Cersie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Justin Danford

Where are you getting that crap from?

if that spoiler even remotely true, worst pile of rubbish D&D have ever come up with. 

Edited by Gaz0680

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Implication seems to be that the Hound and BwB will not stop at Castle Black (don't think they will come close to Winterfell) , which seems odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 1:38 PM, Corvinus said:

 If only Gendry could finish his cruise and get back, my theory could be proven right.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boojam said:

Implication seems to be that the Hound and BwB will not stop at Castle Black (don't think they will come close to Winterfell) , which seems odd.

The Hound has to get to Winterfell, otherwise what is his purpose, especially since he now saw the threat is in the North, so he won't be going South to KL to kill his zombie brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 5:59 AM, RhaenysB said:

My question is why can random ass man Sandor Clegane read the flames now?  

If that just goes like that why do we need red priests and why isn't everybody sitting in front of a fire watching BBC news? 

Lmfao my thoughts exactly.  I was almost expecting Sandor to say something like "I'm just kidding you guillible cunts" to Beric and Thoros at the end of that scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cornivus, I think you're on to something when thinking the mountain shaped like an arrowhead is Dragonstone. In the scene following The Hound's vision, Sam discovers the page with sketches of the dragon glass arrowheads and then sees the map.  That's when he puts two and two together (even though Stannis already told him) that there's a mountain made of dragonglass on Dragonstone. I could be reading more into it than I'm supposed to. I've been known to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dornish Hen said:

Cornivus, I think you're on to something when thinking the mountain shaped like an arrowhead is Dragonstone. In the scene following The Hound's vision, Sam discovers the page with sketches of the dragon glass arrowheads and then sees the map.  That's when he puts two and two together (even though Stannis already told him) that there's a mountain made of dragonglass on Dragonstone. I could be reading more into it than I'm supposed to. I've been known to do that. 

It's possible.  I think the simplest explanation might just be that the show used a set location which has an arrowhead-shaped mountain for Eastwatch.  But it certainly could be what you said as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I agree with everything you said, except the end.  Jon Is AA, and Dany + Dragons = Lightbringer. Together they are the Prince that was Promised, and the darkness shall flee before them.

...after they hook up of course, because "clasp" is part of the prophecy, right:D

It's one of the things that keeps this saga interesting - even this close to the end we don't know who the ultimate hero will be or even if there will be one.

I'm not sure the darkness will flee before Dany so much as she will bring it. But the flipside is that I think darkness (destruction) is what Westeros needs to resolve. The throne needs to be destroyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The Hound has to get to Winterfell, otherwise what is his purpose, especially since he now saw the threat is in the North, so he won't be going South to KL to kill his zombie brother.

Not clear that the Hound wont eventually get back to KL even by season 8.

There sure is a fixation about a Hound -ZomGreg dust up, yet even on the page or the show is it really clear that can or will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 7/17/2017 at 4:59 AM, RhaenysB said:

My question is why can random ass man Sandor Clegane read the flames now?  

If that just goes like that why do we need red priests and why isn't everybody sitting in front of a fire watching BBC news? 

Good observation.

Also across 6 seasons , it's on the page too , team R'hllor has made a ruckus about The Great Other (a term I like, not used on the show) and a war against 'darkness'. Boy season 6 we not only have Melisandre talking about the 'real' war (she has expressed concern about this many times) , but also Kinvara explicitly , and some R'hllor clergy is season 5. So is all this Red God concern going to be a plot element or what?

 

Edited by boojam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes perfect sense that Sandor, scarred brutally by fire, as a man who doesn't believe in the gods or at the least, is dismissive of them, would receive that vision.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Another way to consider the mountain and arrow: For a screen saver, I have the image of the Night King from Hardhome.  In a close up, there is that odd arrowhead looking thing at the bottom of the neckpiece.  If you tilt your head just right, it also looks like a mountain in the interior of the piece

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night_King

Edited by lakin1013
image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 3:27 AM, Ice Walker said:

I think that the mountain should be the Fist of the First Men as well. Although I don't know if the castle by the sea refers to Eastwatch or Shadow Tower.

Jon thinks that the dead are coming from Hardhome but they actually went to pay a visit to Bran in Season 6. From Season 4, we find out that the Three-eyed-Raven's location is very north to Craster's Keep. By looking at the map of Westeros, going through FotFM and Shadow Tower(or Westwatch by the bridge) seems more logical than Eastwatch by the Sea.

For all we know, Hardhome came after what happened with Bran & co.

The timeline as always been wonky in both the show and books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, winterbelle said:

For all we know, Hardhome came after what happened with Bran & co.

The timeline as always been wonky in both the show and books. 

Bran, Benjen & Meera escaping the wights to reach Castle Black in a rush would take a month at most. Meanwhile, Jon had sailed away from Hardhome, marched with 5000 wildlings(including Children & elderly) from Eastwatch-by-the-Sea(or wherever they docked the ships) to Castle Black, got stabbed, came back to life, executed the traitors, met with Sansa, received Ramsay's letter, got the support of the wildlings and marched south. Seems more than a month, wouldn't you say so?

Also, I agree that timeline is so messed up on the show.

Edited by Ice Walker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:28 AM, Gaz0680 said:

Justin Danford

Where are you getting that crap from?

if that spoiler even remotely true, worst pile of rubbish D&D have ever come up with. 

It's not true, we know Arya go's north from the released images, we know she kills LF because she is wearing a dagger he currently has.  So obviously she does not go to KL and die.

As for the dagger, I'm really surprised they showed us such a big revelation.  I mean they chose to release that image it wasn't a spoiler.

Edited by aryagonnakill#2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 2:35 AM, Mihai Brasoveanu said:

I think this also settles the Wun-Wun zombie part. What Bran was seeing is what happens after the Walkers get past the wall.

Wun-Wun zombie part?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 5:59 AM, RhaenysB said:

My question is why can random ass man Sandor Clegane read the flames now?  

If that just goes like that why do we need red priests and why isn't everybody sitting in front of a fire watching BBC news? 

Because he was kissed by Rhylor, and Thoros was showing him the vision.  The same way Melisandre showed Stannis visions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now