Apes Together Strong! (Spoilers)

DMC

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

In the first one the James Franco's assistant got infected during a test of a more aggressive strain of the drug. The canister broke or something and it got in his face. And he passed it on to his neighbor who was a pilot or something and it spread at the airport.

exactly so it's spread by humans, not apes. And from what you've said it wasn't even a case of an ape in the facility biting the guy (I do remember the guy now getting infected and stupidly telling no-one)

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yeah the final scene of Rise is in the airport, shows the disease spreading across the world. Think its post credits maybe as well.

it was the guy from Stargate Atlantis, right? I really liked how the end credits showed the spread of the virus. The opening titles of "Dawn" does a similar thing with added news reports.

About the whole human villain thing were any of the humans beyond the Asshole from Oz even villainous in Dawn? I can't really remember Oldman's character acting unreasonable or towards the apes at any point or really does anything to escalate the conflict.

Maybe at the end with the bomb but in my mind he's entirely in the right there, you've got a golden opportunity to take out the animals that just attacked you without provocation as best you know and killed and enslaved your people - you don't pass that up just cause some guy points a gun at you and starts rambling about waiting for the monkey civil war to be over. 

Seen it finally: a solid movie, that started off beautifully and powerfully and pretty much slowed down and lost its energy as it went on. It made a mistake in settling in one location, the escape plot meant that the story became quite tired and predictable at the end. 

Otherwise i thought it was amazing to look at, the cgi is incredible. I loved that it was completely lacking in dialogue for so much of the movie. 

In many ways it's a very brave movie, you wouldn't expect a huge blockbuster to be like this, which is why it's a bit sad that it was quite so tired by the end, plus some of the very illogical moments ( an enormous gas tank that could destroy the whole complex with one shot??)

• 1 month later...

Finally went to see it this weekend, and I was super disappointed after hearing so many good reviews about the movie.

So I'm just going to go ahead and tell you all how I believe themovie should have went down.

The second faction of humans was completely unnecessary. So they need to be erased from the story completely.

You do this by having the beginning battle be exactly the same. The first change comes when the Colonel raids the ape settlement. Instead of him and 4 guys he brings his whole army. During the raid he thinks he kills Caesar (Caesar falls off the waterfall) and the Colonel captures all the apes then and there. Caesar washes up on shore and finds the only escapees are him and his rescue squad. They decide to track the Colonel and free their people. The movie is now the same up until they get to the Colonels fort. (In this version there is no other human faction, it's just the Colonel and his troops) Same general idea, they scout around the fort and find the secret tunnels. However, in the tunnels the apes also find a weapons cache (It's already been established the base was a weapons depot). The enslaved apes stage an armed revolt and we actually get a final battle to the War for the Planet of the Apes. During the battle Caesar sacrifices himself by detonating the fuel supply (no it's not by the wall, that was just stupid) thus causing the avalanche. The remaining apes survive by climbing the trees. We don't have to deal with Caesar somehow traveling for over a month with a mortal wound that coincidentally kills him on the day they reach their destination (even though it was no longer necessary for them to leave their forest home considering all the human forces had just been annihilated.

Edit: That's not to say there wasn't some entertainment during the movie. I went to one of those theaters where you get to pick your own assigned seat. Apparently two people had sneaked in without paying for tickets and were forced to move twice when the people who actually paid for said seats arrived. 

Archived